John Kelly is an awful play by play guy....

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

I'm getting really sick of hearing this guy's voice. People say Ken Wilson sucked; Wilson is MILES ahead of Kelly. Wilson showed enthusiasm when doing play by play. His "Oh baby" were plausibly emotional. Kelly just seems like he's doing this for a paycheck; I don't think he cares if the Blues win or not. His "Thank you's x 3" seemed forced, like he's pretending to be excited. His actual play by play sucks: "McClement passes to McDonald. McDonald throws is over to the other side. Boyes throws it to center." He's so vague in his play by play. The only thing preventing be from turning on the radio and muting my TV is the 10 second delay between the radio and TV.

Bernie lately has been making me sick to my stomach...literally. Look at his mouth when he talks; his teeth are so jacked up (why doesn't he get these fixed, he's rich) that he talks with one side of mouth, and it sounds like built up saliva combined with congested nasal passages. He definitely doesn't have a voice for commentating like Pang. I can see that now.

Is it possible to promote Chris Kerber to TV announcer? Yea, yea, I know: FSN and KMOX are two different companies with separate contracts, so it's not possible. I just don't get why we let Wilson go for this guy.
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

I'm getting really sick of hearing this guy's voice. People say Ken Wilson sucked; Wilson is MILES ahead of Kelly. Wilson showed enthusiasm when doing play by play. His "Oh baby" were plausibly emotional. Kelly just seems like he's doing this for a paycheck; I don't think he cares if the Blues win or not. His "Thank you's x 3" seemed forced, like he's pretending to be excited. His actual play by play sucks: "McClement passes to McDonald. McDonald throws is over to the other side. Boyes throws it to center." He's so vague in his play by play. The only thing preventing be from turning on the radio and muting my TV is the 10 second delay between the radio and TV.

Bernie lately has been making me sick to my stomach...literally. Look at his mouth when he talks; his teeth are so jacked up (why doesn't he get these fixed, he's rich) that he talks with one side of mouth, and it sounds like built up saliva combined with congested nasal passages. He definitely doesn't have a voice for commentating like Pang. I can see that now.

Is it possible to promote Chris Kerber to TV announcer? Yea, yea, I know: FSN and KMOX are two different companies with separate contracts, so it's not possible. I just don't get why we let Wilson go for this guy.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: John Kelly is an awful play by play guy....

Post by kodos »

I agree 100%. I've hated him from the moment he got here. He's so vanilla it hurts. And THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU is like the worst and most forced sounding tagline ever. It pretty much ruins every amazing blues moment.

Pang helps though.
Last edited by kodos on Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

I don't agree at all. He was a big improvement and it was noticeable the moment he got here. He's brings a lot of character and personality. And THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU always sends shivers down my spine. When you hear that, you know something good is happening.

I do miss bernie though.

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

Well, I can safely say that even JK and Bernie would far outshine the asshats covering the game for San Jose.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by deadphish »

You are losing it, KOOOS!
Official LGB Sponsor TJ Oshie

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

Give me a new coach and I wouldnt care if Thorne or Clement were on there.
And those guys ate shit.

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

kodos wrote: He's brings a lot of character and personality. And THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU always sends shivers down my spine.

From the douche chills, right?
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

fargoblues wrote:Well, I can safely say that even JK and Bernie would far outshine the asshats covering the game for San Jose.
They're gigantic homers, but at least they can describe the action on the ice without several "I don't knows" and in words above a 2nd grade comprehension level. As someone said, Pang has helped but personally I'd still rather hear the out of town feed in most cases.
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

BF44
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by BF44 »

fargoblues wrote:Well, I can safely say that even JK and Bernie would far outshine the asshats covering the game for San Jose.
Whoa... whoa... whoa....

I agree with the dislike for JK -- he's annoying to listen to. Thank GOD we have Panger on the broadcasts.

That said, Randy Hahn and Drew Remenda are among the finest play-by-play duo in NHL TV today. Sure, they may be a bit homerish, but who isn't these days?!? Kelly sure isn't neutral by any stretch...

BTW, Joe Beninati (aka Benihana) from Washington and on Versus is the absolute WORST..... I'm just sayin'

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

How can you hate John he sounds just like his father r u saying u hate Dan Kelly too??
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

BF44
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by BF44 »

STLADOGG wrote:How can you hate John he sounds just like his father r u saying u hate Dan Kelly too??
John Kelly does NOT sound like Dan. IMHO, John and Dan Jr. both got their broadcasting ability from their mother.......

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

BF44 wrote:
Whoa... whoa... whoa....

I agree with the dislike for JK -- he's annoying to listen to. Thank GOD we have Panger on the broadcasts.

That said, Randy Hahn and Drew Remenda are among the finest play-by-play duo in NHL TV today. Sure, they may be a bit homerish, but who isn't these days?!? Kelly sure isn't neutral by any stretch...

BTW, Joe Beninati (aka Benihana) from Washington and on Versus is the absolute WORST..... I'm just sayin'
Got you. But i'm not sure those were the guys on the SJ Center Ice feed last night. and if it was, WOW, did they get a case of teh suck.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by stlbluz »

Kelly always has this look that he's just passed gas and is wondering if his partner has caught wind yet. Truely unnerving.
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

Kelly doesn't improvise at all, or at least he doesn't seem like it. He just seems like he's reading off a teleprompter 99% of the time. He's boring as hell.

Anyway, what's the story with Ken Wilson? I heard FSN was going to renew his contract but the Blues organization said no? What's the story with him and why wouldn't the Blues want him back?

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

xbleed83bluex wrote:Kelly doesn't improvise at all, or at least he doesn't seem like it. He just seems like he's reading off a teleprompter 99% of the time. He's boring as hell.

Anyway, what's the story with Ken Wilson? I heard FSN was going to renew his contract but the Blues organization said no? What's the story with him and why wouldn't the Blues want him back?
:lol: Here we go again...
Wilson got lazy and arrogant by refusing to do prep work or talk to the players.
My contact says he was asked to talk to the players before the games, after practice, etc (which most play-by-play guys do so they have info to talk about on the air), but he refused.
Wilson wouldn't even do his homework on the visiting club. He would show up 30 minutes before he was to go on the air and his prep work included looking over the rosters right before going on the air...and his lack of preparation showed. His commentary that wasn't actual play-by-play became stale and boring, and for some reason he and Federko would go off on weird tangents on various stories not even related to the game while play was going on. It was odd.

Wilson used to be great...but he turned into a big prick.

Some here still want him back, but I think they are remembering the old Wilson. I say Wilson can go F himself. There is a reason he didn't hook up with another NHL team.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

cprice12 wrote:Wilson got lazy and arrogant by refusing to do prep work or talk to the players.
My contact says he was asked to talk to the players before the games, after practice, etc (which most play-by-play guys do so they have info to talk about on the air), but he refused.
Wilson wouldn't even do his homework on the visiting club. He would show up 30 minutes before he was to go on the air and his prep work included looking over the rosters right before going on the air...and his lack of preparation showed. His commentary that wasn't actual play-by-play became stale and boring, and for some reason he and Federko would go off on weird tangents on various stories not even related to the game while play was going on. It was odd.

Wilson used to be great...but he turned into a big prick.
Sounds like you've got a pretty good contact becasue that's exactly what happened.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

I either have a high tolerance level, a low attention span, or some combination between the two because I haven't really noticed whether Kelly is good or bad until the last couple games. I guess I get caught up in the game more and don't really listen to what they're saying that closely. When you actually listen to him though he's one annoying SOB. One of his more stupid habits is when he raises his voice at odd times. Most good announcers do it when it's warranted but Kelly seems like he hasn't figured it out and really overuses it. "Boyes carries the puck past center, PASSES OVER TO MCDONALD for the dump in, AND THE BLUES MAKE A DEFENSIVE SWITCH!".

Thank the hockey gods for Panger to balance it out a little bit. I'm not sure how we survived when both Kelly and Bernie were in the booth. Seriously.

We need to steal Jim Hughson from the Canucks. That way it'll feel like we're playing a video game all the time.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

BF44
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by BF44 »

ViPeRx007 wrote:I either have a high tolerance level, a low attention span, or some combination between the two because I haven't really noticed whether Kelly is good or bad until the last couple games. I guess I get caught up in the game more and don't really listen to what they're saying that closely. When you actually listen to him though he's one annoying SOB. One of his more stupid habits is when he raises his voice at odd times. Most good announcers do it when it's warranted but Kelly seems like he hasn't figured it out and really overuses it. "Boyes carries the puck past center, PASSES OVER TO MCDONALD for the dump in, AND THE BLUES MAKE A DEFENSIVE SWITCH!".

Thank the hockey gods for Panger to balance it out a little bit. I'm not sure how we survived when both Kelly and Bernie were in the booth. Seriously.

We need to steal Jim Hughson from the Canucks. That way it'll feel like we're playing a video game all the time.
FWIW, Hughson works strictly for Hockey Night in Canada now. We stole Panger from Phoenix... we shoulda gotten Strader too....

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

BF44 wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:I either have a high tolerance level, a low attention span, or some combination between the two because I haven't really noticed whether Kelly is good or bad until the last couple games. I guess I get caught up in the game more and don't really listen to what they're saying that closely. When you actually listen to him though he's one annoying SOB. One of his more stupid habits is when he raises his voice at odd times. Most good announcers do it when it's warranted but Kelly seems like he hasn't figured it out and really overuses it. "Boyes carries the puck past center, PASSES OVER TO MCDONALD for the dump in, AND THE BLUES MAKE A DEFENSIVE SWITCH!".

FWIW, Hughson works strictly for Hockey Night in Canada now. We stole Panger from Phoenix... we shoulda gotten Strader too....
Hmm, I didn't know that. I don't get to see HNIC very often.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko