Is Gretzky a dipshit for retiring so early?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Is Gretzky a dipshit for retiring so early?

Post by xbleed83bluex »

894 goals in 1,487 games assists: 1,963

Gretzky retired at only 38 in perfect healthy condition. Had he played in just ONE more season, and retired at 39, which is still younger than what most retire at, he could have passed 900 goals, 1500 games, and possibly 2,000 assists.

Forget assists for now. All he needed was 6 more goals to reach 900, and 13 more games to reach 1,500 games played. Had he played in just 13 more games, there's a chance he would gave gotten 6 more goals. He could have retired then. He could have signed with any team (it's not he was too old for any team to want him), played until he got over 900 goals or 13 more games, whichever came first, then voila - retired. It just baffles me. Hell, the guy probably had 3 more years left in him - so I'm sure he could have played half of one more season.

902 goals sounds better than 894.

If Ovechkin retires at 998 goals.... ugh.....
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Is Gretzky a dipshit for retiring so early?

Post by deadphish »

No one, NO ONE will EVER break those records. Moot point, man. Gretz knew when his production was declining and chose to leave the game with his health and his legacy FIRMLY intact. If he had declined much more in scoring it almost would have been embarrassing for him I would guess.
Official LGB Sponsor TJ Oshie

TheoSqua
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by TheoSqua »

before this season Ovechkin was on pace to score 968 over a 20 year career. Through Gretzky's first 5 seasons he was on pace to score 1,424 goals. Gretzky averaged 63 goals a season over his first 10 seasons and 26 goals over his last 10 seasons.

Considering that Ovechkin is a much more physical player who is more likely to break down physically as he ages, the odds of him surpassing Gretzky's goal totals in an age where scoring is harder when he's not even averaging Gretzkly goal pace at his age and is not nearly as likely to age as well as Gretzky did, it's a little premature to start talking about someone breaking Gretzky's records.

As for assists....he's 714 ahead of the next closest guy, and points he's 970 points ahead of the second on the all time list.

Unless the NHL makes the nets 6 feet by 4 feet or drastically alters the equipment used in the NHL, all Gretzky would have done by playing a few more years is pad his counting stats that will likely not be broken for decades.
Official LGB Sponser of 10 year old signatures:

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

deadphish wrote:No one, NO ONE will EVER break those records. Moot point, man. Gretz knew when his production was declining and chose to leave the game with his health and his legacy FIRMLY intact. If he had declined much more in scoring it almost would have been embarrassing for him I would guess.
This.

What I find dissapointing is when Mario Lemieux had to quit playing for those few years, he was still having 100 point seasons in the 2000's. I would love to see his point totals at retirement if he could have played all those years.

Edit: nevermind after looking at his stas again he was only out three years, I thought it was more and he didn't have 100 points in the 2000's buy did have one in the 90's. But, still if he hadn't had those health problems...
Last edited by section319 on Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

Yeah I understand that. But Gretzky's production declining is Keith Tkachuck on his best day. My point is, hypothetically, if I'm a hockey player and have 999 goals, I'm going to continue to play hockey to get one more goal even if I'm 90 years old cancer patient with no legs. It may be hard, but I'm going to get that one goal eventually. With that said, Gretzky was still in healthy condition at only 39, and for him to retire when he's only 6 goals away to 900, which he could have easily done in 20 games, much less a season, is just something I wouldn't do. But that's just me. Just imagine his numbers if he played as long as Chelios.
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

Or as long as Gordie..
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

section319 wrote:Or as long as Gordie..
Howe coming back to play one shift in that one game when he was like 80, just to be able to say he played in however many different decades, is a disgrace. He should be embarrassed. He comes off as a guy only concerned about grabbing another record in the record books.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Gretzky had done and seen it all. He had nothing to prove to anyone. I don't blame him. He was accustomed to playing at a certain level and was no longer able to do it, so I'm sure it was frustrating for him. Plus playing in the NHL is a grind. Maybe he just wanted to enjoy his life for a while.

Also, Ovetchkin won't keep up this pace. There is a history of Euro/rooskie players coming over, playing at a superstar level and then burning out. It seems to happen to them all.

And when I say burning out, I mean they go from playing like the next league superstar, to just playing like a plain old star.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

kodos wrote:Gretzky had done and seen it all. He had nothing to prove to anyone. I don't blame him. He was accustomed to playing at a certain level and was no longer able to do it, so I'm sure it was frustrating for him. Plus playing in the NHL is a grind. Maybe he just wanted to enjoy his life for a while.

Also, Ovetchkin won't keep up this pace. There is a history of Euro/rooskie players coming over, playing at a superstar level and then burning out. It seems to happen to them all.

And when I say burning out, I mean they go from playing like the next league superstar, to just playing like a plain old star.
See:
Federov, Sergei
Mogilny, Alexander
Bure, Pavel

They all just kind of fell off the table all of a sudden.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

He just wanted to retire in 99
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

cprice12 wrote:
kodos wrote:Gretzky had done and seen it all. He had nothing to prove to anyone. I don't blame him. He was accustomed to playing at a certain level and was no longer able to do it, so I'm sure it was frustrating for him. Plus playing in the NHL is a grind. Maybe he just wanted to enjoy his life for a while.

See:
Federov, Sergei
Mogilny, Alexander
Bure, Pavel

Teemu Selane, Jaromir Jagr...

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

He only scored 9 goals in his last season. There is no guarantee he would have gotten 6 goals had he played another year.

Imagine being accustomed to scoring 40-50-60-70+ goals in a season, and only scoring 9 when you are nearing the end of your career.
I'm sure he felt it was time to go since he wasn't performing at a level he would have liked or was used to.

The game was also changing. Gretzky was ahead of his time, but time and the skill level around him caught up and the game had started to focus a lot more on defense. It was tougher to score. There was a lot less room on the ice, goaltending was getting much better, the game was speeding up, the players were getting bigger...and he was getting older.

And retiring in '99 was kind of cool I guess.

He's still a douche for turning down a 3 year, $15 million contract from us and signing a 2-year, $8 million contract with the Rangers. He was a proven playoff performer...the best of all time, and that is something the Blues lacked in the late 90's.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

If I'm a player that had completed my legacy by 38, made my millions, and completely dominated the sport for 20 years, I'd get out no matter the age or stats I was at. These guys sacrifice TONS in terms of family etc. When you have a wife and kids and you're on the road half of the year, I'm sure it takes its toll. You miss out on all sorts of things.

Gretzky earned the right to retire whenever he wanted to. And besides, look at Chelios, the guy is a punchline now. Kids these days are going to remember Chelios as the old guy that won't quit, not the Norris trophy winning defenseman that he was. No shame in leaving the game early.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

BF44
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by BF44 »

If he didn't want to play any more, why should he? It's no different that any of us deciding to get a different job.

There's also an old saying: "Once an athlete thinks about retiring, he already has."

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

all that matters is that he retired in '99.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

kodos wrote:Gretzky had done and seen it all.
All except the ultimate feeling of victory and vengeance as you stand over some turtling douchebag you just pummeled into a bloody pulp with your foil covered fists.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

goon attack wrote:
kodos wrote:Gretzky had done and seen it all.
All except the ultimate feeling of victory and vengeance as you stand over some turtling douchebag you just pummeled into a bloody pulp with your foil covered fists.
Which, of course, is far more satisfying than winning the whole damn thing.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

kodos wrote:
cprice12 wrote:

See:
Federov, Sergei
Mogilny, Alexander
Bure, Pavel

I think you can say that for any player...Yzerman, Hull, etc. Hell Jagr had great seasons in 05-06 and 06-07. There's no telling what happens as players get into their mid 30's.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

northwest dave wrote:
kodos wrote:
cprice12 wrote:

See:
Federov, Sergei
Mogilny, Alexander
Bure, Pavel

I think you can say that for any player...Yzerman, Hull, etc. Hell Jagr had great seasons in 05-06 and 06-07. There's no telling what happens as players get into their mid 30's.
Wait. You mean to tell me that players' stats aren't consistent, all the time, especially when they get into their late 30's!? OMFG

edit: and Selanne is still playing phenomenally
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
northwest dave wrote:
kodos wrote:
cprice12 wrote:

See:
Federov, Sergei
Mogilny, Alexander
Bure, Pavel

Wait. You mean to tell me that players' stats aren't consistent, all the time, especially when they get into their late 30's!? OMFG

edit: and Selanne is still playing phenomenally
Yep, that's what I'm saying. Maybe you should tell cprice and kodos.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.