Here how it be...

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Here how it be...

Post by deadphish »

Christmas stuff done, kids asleep...just a few thoughts before bed and maybe something to chew on during the holiday mini break.

If you REALLY think about it, you can deduce that the results so far this year are EXACTLY what they appear to be and what we have been told.

It's simple really: If you take out the sweep from last year's PO's, what this team accomplished was a MIRACLE. It achieved the impossible and it was one of the high points of the franchise the night we clinched. The Blues started this year hung over. Detroit was beatable in Sweden for a variety of reasons, but that is still just 2 wins, albeit come from behind ones. Which is really the whole point then, eh?

The Blues team identity is that of the underdog. They play their best when their backs are up against the wall. They started the year TOO confident and maybe lacks-a-dasical to an extent because of the success that lingered in their heads all summer long. Rookies and young players alike went from kids to rockstars in one season and must have believed they would be a dominant force this year.

Now we win 3 big road games and have some "momentum". Is Murray doing something different? Probably not. He just doesn't seem like the type that budges much. Is it possible that when the team has excelled against opponents (especially the 3 we just won) that the players (especially the younger ones) are LISTENING to their coach?

I'm no Mur apologist, but I think it's worth considering that our fledgling youthful talent may not have been as hard working as they were last year's 2nd half. They are young and need to search that 5th gear out until it is burning full throttle consistently. Take away all the hatred for certain players and coaches (and management) and is the answer to our problems really that spellbinding?

I hope the team continues it's hard work. The Hockey Gods repay the Blues abundantly when they are truly willing to sacrifice themselves.
Official LGB Sponsor TJ Oshie

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Here how it be...

Post by Winning Unlimited »

++!!

Best post I've read here in a long time! :letsgoblues: :letsgoblues:

illownyou
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by illownyou »

Perhaps you're right on several points...

and although I agree that the youthful core of guys might have been a bit lazy and hard to prod by their coach...

I disagree that Oshie (not that you pinned it on him, either :wink: ) was one of them. Kid is all heart, all the time...its just not in his charachter to play intentionally lazy. I do think it might have been somewhat of a challenge for the younger guys to find once more the level of work ethic and commitment it took to win like they did last year.

Otherwise, yes you make great points.

Merry Christmas. :wink:
Formerly known as ledzeppelinfan1...

vinnieblues
Rookie
Rookie

Post by vinnieblues »

:plusplus: :letsgoblues: :goblues:

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by deadphish »

illownyou wrote:Perhaps you're right on several points...

and although I agree that the youthful core of guys might have been a bit lazy and hard to prod by their coach...

I disagree that Oshie (not that you pinned it on him, either :wink: ) was one of them. Kid is all heart, all the time...its just not in his charachter to play intentionally lazy. I do think it might have been somewhat of a challenge for the younger guys to find once more the level of work ethic and commitment it took to win like they did last year.

Otherwise, yes you make great points.

Merry Christmas. :wink:
I should have explicitly excluded Oshie. Damn that guy is something else. Also, the younger crowd (in my eyes) includes Boyes and Backes.

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

Perron has been our best, hardest working forward all year, though I'll admin I didn't really notice if he was responsible for some defensive lapses - it could be that he worked real hard in the corners in the offensive zone, then coasted back.. But he def hustles HARD in the offensive zone.

I think all of your points apply to Boyes and Backes. Possibly Berglund, but it's hard to tell if he was really being lazy, or just in a funk. The thing about Murray is that he's TERRIBLE at coaching young players out of slumps. Berglund is starting to heat up now, we'll see if he can sustain it. He is definitely MUCH more noticeable on the ice now than he was in the first 2 months of the season.

I really hope that ass wooping by Lar helps turn it around, cuz lord knows nothing Murray says is getting through to anyone anymore.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

drwoland wrote:
I really hope that ass wooping by Lar helps turn it around, cuz lord knows nothing Murray says is getting through to anyone anymore.
Which is why I say fire Murray and give Pleau the coaching reigns and let Armstrong take over as GM early.

Obviously Mur couldn't get shit through to the guys, Lar gives them a reaming and they go on to do something they've never ever done before.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by deadphish »

glen a richter wrote:
drwoland wrote:
Which is why I say fire Murray and give Pleau the coaching reigns and let Armstrong take over as GM early.

Obviously Mur couldn't get shit through to the guys, Lar gives them a reaming and they go on to do something they've never ever done before.
It's painful to admit this, but I don't think Murray has been the root of our woes. Pleau won't be a bench coach. The kids and certain veterans need to put forth the effort. Do you REALLY think that if that wasn't the problem management would let this season go to waste?

Think about it. Look at the evidence in stats and with your own eyes during games. How can the Blues be so drastically different than last year? Murray hasn't changed, but you do have a flock of kids that probably got pretty cocky after their early NHL successes. Pro sports egos are as big as they come. Young players can fall victim to this so easily. This isn't that hard to figure out, IMHO.

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

It isn't just the kids that have been bad this season though.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by deadphish »

section319 wrote:It isn't just the kids that have been bad this season though.
I know.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Well then if Pleau has to go down to the locker room every few games and act like the principal when Mur can't get his kids under control, then so be it. We're obviously stuck with Andy, so maybe a tongue lashing every week or two from the GM is what they need.

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

Is this the first time anyone has listened to Larry Pleau about ANYTHING?
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Nyghtewynd wrote:Is this the first time anyone has listened to Larry Pleau about ANYTHING?
I think I've had it wrong all along. Here I thought Larry was a :moran: but it turns out he's the smartest guy in the organ-i-zation.

:o
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Pleau must Geaux... down to the locker room every few games to remind the players that they're all dipshits and they need to play like pros if they want to get any respect from anyone.

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by deadphish »

Go Get 'Em LEEEEERY!

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

so you guys think that 30 freaking games is all the players fault???
It was never a matter of horrible, sure there was some, but it was the most boring hockey I've ever seen.
That is the coaches fault.

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by deadphish »

Krigloch the Furious wrote:so you guys think that 30 freaking games is all the players fault???
It was never a matter of horrible, sure there was some, but it was the most boring hockey I've ever seen.
I think we can all agree that Murray is super stubborn. Although not a black and white issue I maintain my point that the players, specifically the younger ones (under 30) were not putting forth consistent efforts night in and night out.

We know that the Blues are a classic underdog, come from behind team. They need to find that level of intensity that rewards them with W's and start playing that away always. I think it's a team mentality maturation process.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Nyghtewynd wrote:Is this the first time anyone has listened to Larry Pleau about ANYTHING?
Why, did he say something?
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

deadphish wrote:
section319 wrote:It isn't just the kids that have been bad this season though.
I know.
K, good.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

deadphish wrote:
Krigloch the Furious wrote:so you guys think that 30 freaking games is all the players fault???
I think we can all agree that Murray is super stubborn. Although not a black and white issue I maintain my point that the players, specifically the younger ones (under 30) were not putting forth consistent efforts night in and night out.

We know that the Blues are a classic underdog, come from behind team. They need to find that level of intensity that rewards them with W's and start playing that away always. I think it's a team mentality maturation process.
Even if the poor start isn't entirely Murray's fault, you can't change the team that much. It's a lot easier and sometimes more effective to change the coach and his staff. If the current coach can't get consistent efforts out of his players, he needs to go because his message, his philosophies, etc...aren't working.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/