Murray out, Payne in

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Murray out, Payne in

Post by abc789987 »

xbleed83bluex wrote:Damn! I just found this out by going to St. Louis.com, and I wish I had been on earlier to be the first one to post this so I can say MURRAY FIRED!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't read any of these other posts yet so excuse me if this has been answered, but does "Interim" coach mean he's basically been given a trial period on his coaching duties?
Pretty sure thats what Interim means here.
I think they have pretty much said he will be here at least the rest of the season.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

xbleed83bluex wrote:Damn! I just found this out by going to St. Louis.com, and I wish I had been on earlier to be the first one to post this so I can say MURRAY FIRED!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't read any of these other posts yet so excuse me if this has been answered, but does "Interim" coach mean he's basically been given a trial period on his coaching duties?
Basically he'll be the coach for the rest of the season (I'd assume) and they will evaluate things in the offseason.

EDIT: ...or what abc said.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

stlmark
All-Star
All-Star

Post by stlmark »

There is a hockey god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cup:
LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

So Wamsley is now the coach in Peoria. Who is our Goaltending coach now?

BF44
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by BF44 »

abc789987 wrote:So Wamsley is now the coach in Peoria. Who is our Goaltending coach now?
BEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL-FFFFFOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

iluvhockey98
Prospect
Prospect

Post by iluvhockey98 »

I read that it will be Ed Belfour.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

richtedm wrote:
Yeah but they spelled Cam Janssen wrong. No credibility at all. For the whole article.
Allright, what's the inside joke here? Spill it! :grin:
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

From the AM interview by JR on stltoday when being asked On whether he knew it was coming . . . (John Davidson said he thought Murray had an “intuition” it was happening).
Andy Murray wrote:I had no intuition that way. I would say I don’t disagree with JD often, but I would disagree. You know as a coach you’re being evluate every single game. I was surprised by it . . . anybody would be surprised. But I understood it and appreciated where they were coming from.
Are you kidding me Murray? You must have been the only one in the world that didn't see this coming...

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

abc789987 wrote:From the AM interview by JR on stltoday when being asked On whether he knew it was coming . . . (John Davidson said he thought Murray had an “intuition” it was happening).
Andy Murray wrote:I had no intuition that way. I would say I don’t disagree with JD often, but I would disagree. You know as a coach you’re being evluate every single game. I was surprised by it . . . anybody would be surprised. But I understood it and appreciated where they were coming from.
Are you kidding me Murray? You must have been the only one in the world that didn't see this coming...
In his defense, he was probably surprised because the front office had already backed him up multiple times this season; the last time being fairly recently.

Most of us may have wanted this but I can't really say I saw it coming either.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

BoxCar
All-Star
All-Star

Post by BoxCar »

The NHL.com article about the firing really paints Murray well. The quotes show he knew he was in trouble and tool responsibility. The players should feel like utter crap for at least helping coat a good and professional coach his job. Not saying it is the right or wrong move, but a move was necessary. Murray will be picked up very shortly I'm sure. Hopefully this ends up being a good move for both parties. Now go win a home game.
Official President of the 2011-2012 Sponsorship Committee of the honorable Alex Pietrangelo

#1ELPBluzFan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by #1ELPBluzFan »

It didn't take Coach "Q" long to get re-hired either!
Mark P

oldbattler
Prospect
Prospect

Post by oldbattler »

goon attack wrote:how long until cries of "FIRE PAYNE!" are abundant here? I say 3 games!
I say 4 games.The fans will be just a little more patient this time.But it won't last long.Just sit Perron a little and he will be on sh!! List.LOL
Life Time Blues Fan

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

FIRE PAYNE were Lossing!!!!!!..............just thought id be the first
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

STLADOGG wrote:FIRE PAYNE were Lossing!!!!!!..............just thought id be the first
:plusplus:
Loser Payne. Season's over. Throw in the towel.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

ViPeRx007 wrote:
Leedog wrote:
philco_3 wrote:
Leedog wrote:I think Payne is the WRONG guy for the job if you expect a change in philosophy right away. Teams usually have their top minor league coach cut from the same cloth as the NHL coach so the players are groomed for the style of the NHL team. I'm afraid you will find, "meet the new boss, same as the old boss".
Nope. They wanted him to play the same sort of style in Peoria, but he wouldnt do it.
No, I have never been to a Rivermen game. I live in STL and have Blues season tix. Why should I? But, if what you say is true, I'm very disappointed in management for promoting the guy instead of firing him. He put his wishes above his bosses plans for the franchise. Ever think it is his fault the young guys that got promoted didn't play well up here? It is like sending them to school to be an electrician and hiring them as plumbers.
Grasping hard for some pretty tiny straws there Leedog. For one thing, you contradicted your original comment about "...new boss, same as the old boss". Then you go on to complain about how Payne should have been fired for being different.

I guess I don't understand what is it that you really want?
I said he was the wrong guy for the job assuming he was AM Jr. which is the norm in the NHL. Then I was corrected and told his teams were free skating, and that management told him to coach a style like AM, but refused. I stood corrected about his style... maybe he is the right guy if you want a different style play. However, if he was told by management to adapt his style so the players would be more prepared to play for a call up to the NHL, and refused, he should have been canned for insubordination, not given a promotion. And if he was asked to alter his style and refused, the inability for guys like Eller and Jungland to step in and play for AM is at least partially on him.
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

Well I'll be!
Spent the whole day at O'Hare only to read this. Nice.

So after watching the blues in person for both the Buffalo and Nashville games...this change was needed big time. Hope the boys can put it together now.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

BF44 wrote:
abc789987 wrote:So Wamsley is now the coach in Peoria. Who is our Goaltending coach now?
BEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL-FFFFFOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!
Hahaha good stuff
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

oldbattler wrote:
goon attack wrote:how long until cries of "FIRE PAYNE!" are abundant here? I say 3 games!
I say 4 games.The fans will be just a little more patient this time.But it won't last long.Just sit Perron a little and he will be on sh!! List.LOL
4 games? It will take a hell of a lot longer than 4 games just for the Blues to fully grasp and implement what system Payne wants them to play.
Look at how long it took the Flyers to grasp what Laviolette was selling. They had a horrible first 10 games since their coaching switch and only recently started to play better over their last 5 games.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Leedog wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:
Leedog wrote:
philco_3 wrote:
Leedog wrote:I think Payne is the WRONG guy for the job if you expect a change in philosophy right away. Teams usually have their top minor league coach cut from the same cloth as the NHL coach so the players are groomed for the style of the NHL team. I'm afraid you will find, "meet the new boss, same as the old boss".
Nope. They wanted him to play the same sort of style in Peoria, but he wouldnt do it.
No, I have never been to a Rivermen game. I live in STL and have Blues season tix. Why should I? But, if what you say is true, I'm very disappointed in management for promoting the guy instead of firing him. He put his wishes above his bosses plans for the franchise. Ever think it is his fault the young guys that got promoted didn't play well up here? It is like sending them to school to be an electrician and hiring them as plumbers.
Grasping hard for some pretty tiny straws there Leedog. For one thing, you contradicted your original comment about "...new boss, same as the old boss". Then you go on to complain about how Payne should have been fired for being different.

I guess I don't understand what is it that you really want?
I said he was the wrong guy for the job assuming he was AM Jr. which is the norm in the NHL. Then I was corrected and told his teams were free skating, and that management told him to coach a style like AM, but refused. I stood corrected about his style... maybe he is the right guy if you want a different style play. However, if he was told by management to adapt his style so the players would be more prepared to play for a call up to the NHL, and refused, he should have been canned for insubordination, not given a promotion. And if he was asked to alter his style and refused, the inability for guys like Eller and Jungland to step in and play for AM is at least partially on him.
I respect the guy for wanting to coach the way he knows how to coach. Why should he do something he's not comfortable doing? He obviously uses a system that he thinks is best, so why should he change it?
If management didn't like that, they could have fired him and brought in a puppet. Good for Payne.
Maybe management didn't fire him because they knew they had a decent coach there. JD said Payne had an offer to coach with a club in the NHL last offseason, but management wanted him to stay in the organization. Good thing I guess.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

DanAKAL
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DanAKAL »

I watched Davis Payne for is entire tenure up here in Alaska. It was simply inspiring to watch him turn a team that was for sale on ebay into Kelly Cup Champs. When he moved from Alaska to Peoria I predicted that he would one day be head coach of the Blues but I didn't expect it this soon. In fact I'm a little concerned this may be too soon. However, there are smarter people than me that made this decision. This year I was in Atlanta when the Blues blew a three goal lead to lose in OT. When I left the arena I was thinking that I sure would be glad when Payne was behind the bench. A few things I can tell you about Davis Payne. He is a solid coach in every aspect. He knows the game as well as what he needs to do to motivate players. He doesn't take much from anyone and isn't afraid to make the decision he feels is best. All in all a very good coach in every aspect as is atested by anyone who ever played for him. I have searched my memory and my only complaint with Davis Payne is that he will wait too long to pull the goalie in a one goal game. Instead of the 60 or 70 second mark he will wait until the 30 or 40 second mark. Suffice to say he knows a lot more about hockey than I do so who am I to argue. If that is the only thing I can find to complain about then he must be a fine coach. You guys now have yourself a "House Of Payne" as we called it and soon you will learn that "In Davis I Trust". I am really glad to see Payne get his chance and I am certain he will do well. I fully expect the Blues will be in the playoffs this year.

Dan
"I'm liking the fight in this little dog" Chris Kerber