Cory Schneider???

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

LGBftw81
Prospect
Prospect

Cory Schneider???

Post by LGBftw81 »

Ok, I'm not sure how many of you out there listen to 101 ESPN. No, they dont talk much hockey, but I do still listen. Lately they have been talking about Mason leaving when his contract is up AND the Blues being interested in a Canucks minor league goalie Cory Schneider? I obviously dont know how credible this is, as I have not heard this until then.

I really dont know much about this goalie but I wonder have the Blues (a) given up on the young goalies in their system, (b) given up on thinking that they are close to being a competitive team, and they are starting to "rebuild" again, (c) think they found a great goalie in the making stuck behind Luongo who can lead this team?

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Cory Schneider???

Post by DaDitka »

They just think Schneider has pictures of the Sedin twins with their shirts off.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

DaDitka wrote:They just think Schneider has pictures of the Sedin twins with their shirts off.
I think I just threw up a little.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

as a wise man once said "VROOM VROOM Party Stater"

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

But in all seriousness we have discussed on here before that we didn't think that Mason would be back. He is getting older that is an unfortunate fact for us all. Secondly he is going to want the big contract for a bunch of years to finish out his carreer with. If he stays what are you going to do with Bishop and Allen anyway? If you bring up Bishop this guy gives you someone to plug into the farm system right away. Besides they might use Mason as trade bait at the deadline anyway no matter how we are doing point total wise.

JWatt (formerly PMS)
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JWatt (formerly PMS) »

thedoc wrote:But in all seriousness we have discussed on here before that we didn't think that Mason would be back. He is getting older that is an unfortunate fact for us all. Secondly he is going to want the big contract for a bunch of years to finish out his carreer with. If he stays what are you going to do with Bishop and Allen anyway? If you bring up Bishop this guy gives you someone to plug into the farm system right away. Besides they might use Mason as trade bait at the deadline anyway no matter how we are doing point total wise.
If you trade for Schneider, Bishop stays in the farm system where he belongs, and Schneider wins the starter job next year after splitting time with Conklin for the 1st half of the season. You don't trade for a 2-time All-Star AHL goalie to keep him in the AHL and call up your mediocre AHL goalie to the NHL.

Wulfen
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Wulfen »

I saw Schneider play for BC when the Frozen Four was in St. Louis. He looked pretty sharp. Unless we can get Mason to resign at a reasonable price I dont see him returning. Then we will continue with our goaltending carousel until we find a Number 1. Reto Berra!!!

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by stlbluz »

I read something about this a few weeks ago but can't find the article. Something about Schneider not wanting to play back-up to lou and wanting to be moved. I would hope that this is someone that management's looking at.
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

stlbluz wrote:I read something about this a few weeks ago but can't find the article. Something about Schneider not wanting to play back-up to lou and wanting to be moved. I would hope that this is someone that management's looking at.
Louie's a great mascot and all but I doubt he would be the automatic choice over Schneider to be our starting goalie.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Whatever happens, I see it turning out badly. These are the Blues, after all...

I say just sign Jake Allen and throw him to the wolves next season. It worked for MAF, why can't it work in St. Louis (apart from the fact that he wouldn't have a pair of world class forwards scoring well over a ppg to help bail him out when he makes boneheaded gaffes)
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

or a below avg blue line to help.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

glen a richter wrote:Whatever happens, I see it turning out badly. These are the Blues, after all...

I say just sign Jake Allen and throw him to the wolves next season. It worked for MAF, why can't it work in St. Louis (apart from the fact that he wouldn't have a pair of world class forwards scoring well over a ppg to help bail him out when he makes boneheaded gaffes)
Marc-Andre Fleury was rated that high for a reason. And the Penguins really didn't have any other choice. How many young goalies have had that kind of treatment and burned out instead of sticking around? Raw playing time an all-star goalie does not necessarily make. Or typically any other player for that matter. And how many losses do you think management/fans/teammates would stomach while Allen is getting "seasoned"? Fewer than the patience level.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

VictorManthing
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by VictorManthing »

"Hockey Guy" has a blog about this on stltoday.com

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/hockey ... g-to-deal/

And there's this:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/gl ... le1439153/

Let's hope that if this happens, it's a defenseman they're looking for. Losing Backes would be a bad thing.
Let's Go Blooze!!!

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

VictorManthing wrote:"Hockey Guy" has a blog about this on stltoday.com

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/hockey ... g-to-deal/

And there's this:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/gl ... le1439153/

Let's hope that if this happens, it's a defenseman they're looking for. Losing Backes would be a bad thing.

I don't know what the package would be, but that does seem like a lot of 'smoke'.

That said, I figure Backes is probably one of the least likely assets on the team to be traded.

Vancouver does have an affinity for Sweeds and they need a Center and a Defenseman…

I’m not saying, I’m just saying.

(Let me quality this statement with the fact that I do not want to trade Bergie or Carlo, I was just trying to connect the dots)

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

I've heard Backes and Conklin for Schneider. Blues said no. Then I also heard Perron/Berglund and Conklin for Schneider. The question who would you honestly trade to get him?
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

How good exactly is Schneider at the AHL level? I know little to nothing about this guy, but unless he's the second coming of Marty Brodeur, I don't want to lose Backes to get him.

If he's really the guy that he's being made out to be, I'd pony up Berglund + Junland + pick

Obviously Junland will never be a part of this team, and Berglund I think is just never going to hack it.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

glen a richter wrote:How good exactly is Schneider at the AHL level? I know little to nothing about this guy, but unless he's the second coming of Marty Brodeur, I don't want to lose Backes to get him.

If he's really the guy that he's being made out to be, I'd pony up Berglund + Junland + pick

Obviously Junland will never be a part of this team, and Berglund I think is just never going to hack it.
Yeah, I mean, obviously Berglund is young and his career can go any which direction. But from what we've seen of Berglund so far, he just isn't even close to being any sort of dominant force that is worth not acquiring a can't miss prospect in exchange for him. He hasn't lived up to his "can't miss" label...I'm not seeing it yet.

Berglund has been a disappointment so far...but like I said, he's still too young to know for sure long term how he is going to be.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

JWatt (formerly PMS)
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JWatt (formerly PMS) »

Berglund was a 20 goal scorer at the age of 21. Not many players can say that. Sure, he regressed under Murray a bit. However, 2 years from now you'll be forgetting this season when he's scoring 70 points. He wasn't considered a premier prospect for nothing.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

cprice12 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:How good exactly is Schneider at the AHL level? I know little to nothing about this guy, but unless he's the second coming of Marty Brodeur, I don't want to lose Backes to get him.

Yeah, I mean, obviously Berglund is young and his career can go any which direction. But from what we've seen of Berglund so far, he just isn't even close to being any sort of dominant force that is worth not acquiring a can't miss prospect in exchange for him. He hasn't lived up to his "can't miss" label...I'm not seeing it yet.

Berglund has been a disappointment so far...but like I said, he's still too young to know for sure long term how he is going to be.
In order of priority on who I'd re-sign to a long term contract, regarding ONLY the guys we've drafted, I'd rank Berglund towards the bottom.

Johnson #1, Backes #2, Perron #3 & Oshie #4 (though those two are damned close), Polak #5, Berglund #6

Beyond that, we'll see what guys like Pietrangelo, Cole and Eller, etc.... all do. As it is now, these would be my priorities if I was making the call.

I just see Berglund as expendable.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

I have that feeling if the Blues get him, he would turn out like ever other goalie we traded for/signed...epic failure. I'm pretty sure if we can get a list of ALL the goalies that the Blues had play for them in the last decade it would beat everyone.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.