Mike Danton to Play College Hockey

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mike Danton to Play College Hockey

Post by cprice12 »

Get this...
Parole to enroll: Mike Danton making college hockey comeback
By Greg Wyshynski
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_d ... nhl,212947

What would be more jarring for a college hockey player: Seeing a 29-year-old former NHL player lining up on his wing, or seeing one that served five years after pleading guilty in a failed murder-for-hire plot before being paroled?

Or, in the case of former St. Louis Blues forward and current parolee Mike Danton, both. Perhaps you've heard of his case.

According to the Chronicle Herald, Danton is in the process of enrolling at Saint Mary's University in Halifax and "could suit up for the Huskies hockey team over the second half" of the CIS season

This comes after being released from prison in September 2009 after serving five years for his part in a murder-for-hire plot that allegedly targeted his former agent David Frost (although Danton has said differently in repentant, sad exit interviews).

TSN quotes SMU Athletic Director Steve Sarty that a parole board blessing should arrive on Tuesday and that Danton's already taken "extension courses at Queen's University" and "correspondent courses at SMU while he was in prison," so he's technically a student anyway.

For any U.S. readers who might be confused, CIS regulations allow former professionals to play, with certain restrictions. Danton played only two seasons of pro hockey after turning 21, and he's obviously sat out a full 365 days, so he's good -- pending what the parole officials say, that is.

Huskies coach Trevor Stienburg was contacted by Danton about playing for his school, and met the eligibility requirements, according to the Herald:

Whatever happens, it's been a process with considerable soul-searching for Stienburg. "Initially I was very hesitant," Stienburg admitted about supporting Danton's desire. "But I was challenged by my players (to accept Danton) for all the right reasons."

A huge factor in Stienburg's support for Danton's request was discussions with his own father. Malcolm Stienburg, an ordained minister, is a former prison chaplain and a senior member of the national parole board. "Second chances," Stienburg said. "I grew up with them as part of my life. There's no question it's the right thing to do. He has paid the price for a mistake he's admitted was a huge mistake. He's already been punished for it."

While that's all very pious of the coach and his father, there's also no question that the Saint Mary's hockey Web site mentions nothing about being a halfway-house-on-skates for wayward former professionals who choose to become Canadian college athletes because they're out of options.

Sarty told TSN that it's all about forgiveness, and that "if we say no to Mike Danton, who are we going to say yes to?" We'll assume that he's asked enough boosters, students, parents and members of the community this question to know the answer before inviting Mike Danton onto his college hockey team.

Here's the transcript of Danton's interview with Sportsnet from last November. He deserves sympathy; it's up to the SMU community to determine how much their school should give him.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Mike Danton to Play College Hockey

Post by Winning Unlimited »

I would not let this guy on my team. I would rather have a team of good character players that are mediocre than a team of convicts that are contenders.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Not only that but can the guy even play anymore? 5 years is not a negligible amount of time to be off the ice
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

I think he should be given the chance to play. He paid his time and is regretful for his actions. I am a huge supportor of forgiveness, no matter how bad of a mistake someone has made.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Dude did his time. Sign him LEERY!
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

abc789987 wrote:I think he should be given the chance to play. He paid his time and is regretful for his actions. I am a huge supportor of forgiveness, no matter how bad of a mistake someone has made.
Somewhere, there is a kid who didn't commit a crime, isn't older than 22, and isn't on that team. Danton is not the type of person that I would want my players to learn from or be around. Maybe he has rehabbed, but isn't deserving of a roster spot on a respectable team.

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

OPTIMEGUS wrote:
abc789987 wrote:I think he should be given the chance to play. He paid his time and is regretful for his actions. I am a huge supportor of forgiveness, no matter how bad of a mistake someone has made.
Somewhere, there is a kid who didn't commit a crime, isn't older than 22, and isn't on that team. Danton is not the type of person that I would want my players to learn from or be around. Maybe he has rehabbed, but isn't deserving of a roster spot on a respectable team.
If he is eligible to play on the team and he is good enough, he deserves a chance.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

So, a criminal record now eliminates you from playing college hockey? :?:
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by deadphish »

goon attack wrote:Dude did his time. Sign him LEERY!
++
Janssen - Danton - King

WE WANT THE CUP (full of blood).
Official LGB Sponsor TJ Oshie

-C-
Rookie
Rookie

Post by -C- »

Any truth to the rumor that his roommate is Billy Tibbetts? :wink:

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

If Bertuzzi and Heatley are allowed to play hockey, I see no reason why Danton shouldn't.
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

Maybe I missed something, but what did Heatley do that was close to Danton or :bert: ?
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

section319 wrote:Maybe I missed something, but what did Heatley do that was close to Danton or :bert: ?
Only think I can think of is that they all made mistakes and did their time.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

section319 wrote:Maybe I missed something, but what did Heatley do that was close to Danton or :bert: ?
Well if you want to look at it that way Heatley shouldnt be allowed to play at all, cause he actually killed someone. Where as Danton failed
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

Oh yeah, nevermind, I knew about that. Didn't seem to cross my mind at the time :doh: .
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.