Report: Kovalchuk rejected $101 million deal

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Report: Kovalchuk rejected $101 million deal

Post by WaukeeBlues »

HE GONE!
NHL.com wrote:"Our goal from the start of this negotiating process was to sign Ilya Kovalchuk to a long-term contract," Waddell said. "During the process, Kovy affirmed his desire to be a Thrasher for life. We've spent several months exploring scenarios with Kovy and his agent to reach a mutually beneficial agreement, and offered many lucrative packages in an attempt to meet his financial objectives. Unfortunately, we've reached an impasse and at this point he has declined all of our proposals and we can't reasonably go any higher."

Waddell said the club offered Kovalchuk a 12-year, $101 million deal, but it was rejected. Waddell said it would have been the highest contract ever signed by an impending free agent in NHL history.

Waddell also said a $70 million, seven-year deal was rejected. Waddell said that deal would have made Kovalchuk's average annual salary $10 million per season $500,000 more than any player in the League.
Clicky!

I just am not seeing the connect between Kovalchuk saying "I want to be a Thrasher for life" and rejecting a deal paying him $10 mill a season. Realistically, nobody is going to pay him much more than that. What the heck does this guy want?
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

ReelBluesFan887
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Re: Report: Kovalchuk rejected $101 million deal

Post by ReelBluesFan887 »

I think he is KHL bound
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of Roman Polak

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I guess he wants a chance to play on a team with a realistic shot at winning the cup?

Oh well. He is gone, isn't he?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

WaukeeBlues wrote:I just am not seeing the connect between Kovalchuk saying "I want to be a Thrasher for life" and rejecting a deal paying him $10 mill a season. Realistically, nobody is going to pay him much more than that. What the heck does this guy want?
All lip service.

He's sick of losing so much.

Atlanta (well those of them that actually care) will be burning when he signs with his next team.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

WaukeeBlues wrote: deal paying him $10 mill a season

101 / 12 = 8.4 mill/ year

He probably would take 10

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

DaDitka wrote:

I think he's referring to the 7 year/70 mil. offer that was turned down.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Prngr44 wrote:
DaDitka wrote:

I think he's referring to the 7 year/70 mil. offer that was turned down.

Missed that, my bad. :facepalm:

But a 7 year deal? No way he signs something that short. He should, but I doubt he has to.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

I think it is pretty clear this isn't about money. He just doesn't want to play for the Thrashers.

If some other market is willing to offer him around the same money, why would he pass up the chance to pick his destination if he feels that the Thrashers are not the place for him? Really think about the history of that franchise and its past ability to be competitive.

That organization is also going through a lot of internal turmoil right now. I don’t want to sound nasty, but it is a loser of an organization and its long term outlook doesn’t look any better. The very fact it is a hockey franchise in the deep South puts it in mediocre footing financially.

With all that said, perhaps money could be a small part of it. I think he will make his NHL salary anywhere, but a bigger hockey market might bring in bigger/more endorsements and thus more non-NHL salary dollars. Those are things that agent will keep in mind and point out to their client.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

SIU LAW wrote:I think it is pretty clear this isn't about money. He just doesn't want to play for the Thrashers.

If some other market is willing to offer him around the same money, why would he pass up the chance to pick his destination if he feels that the Thrashers are not the place for him? Really think about the history of that franchise and its past ability to be competitive.

That organization is also going through a lot of internal turmoil right now. I don’t want to sound nasty, but it is a loser of an organization and its long term outlook doesn’t look any better. The very fact it is a hockey franchise in the deep South puts it in mediocre footing financially.

With all that said, perhaps money could be a small part of it. I think he will make his NHL salary anywhere, but a bigger hockey market might bring in bigger/more endorsements and thus more non-NHL salary dollars. Those are things that agent will keep in mind and point out to their client.
Bingo.
Bottom line is...he doesn't want to play in Atlanta. I don't think it mattered what they offered him.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

SIU LAW wrote:I think it is pretty clear this isn't about money. He just doesn't want to play for the Thrashers.

<closes eyes, clenches fists> not detroit not detroit not detroit not detroit not detroit

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by stlbluz »

:detsucks:
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald