Kovalchuk to NJ

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Kovalchuk to NJ

Post by Portland Blues »

No details but numerous mentions of Kovalchuk being traded to the Devils.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Kovalchuk to NJ

Post by philco_3 »

Portland Blues wrote:No details but numerous mentions of Kovalchuk being traded to the Devils.
At least he didn't go to the Hawks or Detroit. Go Devils! http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=515802
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

tomcat16
All-Star
All-Star

Post by tomcat16 »

Kevin Allen report Oduya, Bergfors, Cormier and a 1st Rounder.

He also drops this little tidbit on Tweeter....

kausatoday

For those interested, St. Louis and Ottawa were the mystery teams that kicked the tires on Kovalchuk. Bravo for their aggressiveness

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

We missed out on grabbing Kovalchuck! UGH
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

dont tell me this sh!t. I need my razor blades now.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

xbleed83bluex wrote:We missed out on grabbing Kovalchuck! UGH
Can still pick him up in the offseason if he doesn't sign with NJ.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I'm actually kind of shocked. Not a single huge name in that trade.

Waddell was talking about how he "wouldn't even look at" deals that didn't include a top 6 forward and top 4 d-man. Am I the only one who thinks that's kind of a crap trade?
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:I'm actually kind of shocked. Not a single huge name in that trade.

Waddell was talking about how he "wouldn't even look at" deals that didn't include a top 6 forward and top 4 d-man. Am I the only one who thinks that's kind of a crap trade?
Well they do get "Throwin' Elbows" Cormier.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/mornin ... ays-trade/
Blues President John Davidson acknowledged Thursday night that the club had “legitimate interest” in trading for Ilya Kovalchuk before the star forward was dealt to New Jersey earlier in the day.”We had been working at it for the better part of the week,” Davidson said. “We had great conversations with Atlanta. We talked to them about various thoughts and ideas and put (a trade proposal) together. It never came to fruition.”

The Devils acquired Kovalchuk from Atlanta in exchange for defenseman Johnny Oduya, rookie forward Niclas Bergfors, junior prospect Patrice Cormier and a first-round draft pick this year.

Davidson said the Thrashers were asking for “a piece or two that we weren’t willing to give up, especially knowing that Kovalchuk is, for now, a rental player.”

Kovalchuk, who was the No. 1 overall pick by Altanta in 2001, is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent this summer, meaning he can sign elsewhere if New Jersey doesn’t reach an extension with him before July 1.

“When you make a deal like that, if it’s really a magnitude coming out of your bank account, you’ve got to try to make sure that he signs,” Davidson said. “And that (permission to discuss a contract extension before a trade) was never given to any team that was in the battle trying to get him. So we just couldn’t afford to go the extra mile.”

Davidson said had the Blues been able to successfully negotiate an extension with Kovalchuk, who will turn 27 in April, they would have been more apt to make a deal.

“It would have been a heck of a lot easier to give up a lot if you knew he was going to stay here,” he said. “But you can’t give up a ton and then have Ilya not be here come July 1. You’re just starting from behind again, as a franchise.”

When asked if the Blues were scared off by a report that Kovalchuk turned down a 12-year, $101 million contract extension, Davidson said: “I’m not going to go there because we never got into numbers. I can’t go there.”

It remains to be seen if the Blues will have continued interest in Kovalchuk this summer, should the Devils not be able to resign him. Davidson said he couldn’t comment.

“I can’t say anything because (New Jersey) owns him now,” he said.

JR

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Well, I suppose I am glad they didn't mortgage the farm for just a rental. As long as we're still in the running for signing him as an UFA.

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

dmiles2186 wrote:
xbleed83bluex wrote:We missed out on grabbing Kovalchuck! UGH
Can still pick him up in the offseason if he doesn't sign with NJ.
You mean NJ traded all that and they don't even get to keep him? Eh. If NJ doesn't win a cup and Koval goes somewhere else - NJ would have got the bum end of the deal. That's exactly what the Blues used to do...
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

TheoSqua
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by TheoSqua »

Looking at the players sent out, i think an equivalent deal from St. Louis would have been Roman Polak, Patrik Burglund, Lars Eller, and a first round pick. While not really a lot in comparison to Kovalchuk, it makes sense that they were reluctant to pull the trigger.

I don't think JD has any illusions that this team is close to winning the cup, even with Kovy, this season. They're still a few years off. With Kovalchuck refusing to sign a huge contract with Atlanta, whose situation hasn't been much worse than St. Louis, it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for JD to give up a solid top-4 defenseman, 2 potential top six forwards, and a first round pick, just so the Blues could win 5 more games this season and lose in the second round of the playoffs.
Official LGB Sponser of 10 year old signatures:

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by stlbluz »

(Frank) kovy - We did well by standing pat. Wouldn't surprise me to see him playing across the pond soon.
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

On the NHL Network last night and NHL Sirius this morning they stated they expect NJ to announce an extenstion as early as this weekend.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

strocklen083
All-Star
All-Star

Post by strocklen083 »

Shows some balls by JD & Co to at least explore this in a legit fashion. This is enough evidence to convince me they're going to go after a big name again in the off season. Preferably via free agency just so we don't have to get up any of the rebuilding blocks. But in order to take on that kind of salary some pieces may need to be moved...

Big ups for trying and hopefully this shows other teams (and players) that we're serious about winning again.
Last edited by strocklen083 on Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

strocklen083 wrote:Shows some balls by JD & Co to at least explore this in a legit fashion. This is enough evidence to convince me they're going to go after a big name again in the off season. Preferably via free agency just so we don't have to get up any of the rebuilding blocks. But in order to take on that kind of salary some pieces may need to be moved...

Big ups for trying and hopefully this shows other teams (and players) that we're serious about winning again.
Well, Kariya's salary comes off the books after the season...along with Tkachuk and Mason's. That's over $10 million right there.
We'll have to grab a goaltender or resign Mason and then go after a scoring forward.

It would also be nice if we could unload Brewer and/or Jackman. Jesus...we've been talking about that for years now.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

cprice12 wrote: It would also be nice if we could unload Brewer and/or Jackman. Jesus...we've been talking about that for years now.
Think they regret giving Jackman that extension? He’s easily been our WORST defensemen this year, and that’s sad when you’re playing with Brewer and Sydor.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

strocklen083
All-Star
All-Star

Post by strocklen083 »

cprice12 wrote:It would also be nice if we could unload Brewer and/or Jackman. Jesus...we've been talking about that for years now.
No joke! That Jackman deal just continues to look like a poor fiscal decision. We'd almost be better dumping him and tolerating Brewer for another year.

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

DaDitka wrote:On the NHL Network last night and NHL Sirius this morning they stated they expect NJ to announce an extenstion as early as this weekend.
Dunno how that is possible unless they tampered. Supposedly Atlanta didn't give anyone permission to discuss extension before the deal.
On a similar note, did you see how far JD backed away from saying the Blues would pursue him should he hit the market. The Devils already got a pick from the Note for tampering.
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

strocklen083
All-Star
All-Star

Post by strocklen083 »

Leedog wrote:The Devils already got a pick from the Note for tampering.
Now did you really have to go off and ruin a Friday by brining that up? C'mon dude...