What free agents do the Blues target this summer?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

ChrisD008
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

What free agents do the Blues target this summer?

Post by ChrisD008 »

we all know Karia is gone, walt too. that's 8 mill right there. it's obvious we need scoring help, but who do you think will be our most desired targets? I still think we need a superstar but assuming Ilya K signs an extension I don't think there is a UFA with that kind of ability.. thoughts?

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What free agents do the Blues target this summer?

Post by cprice12 »

Mason's contract is up as well...that's another $4 million.
He wants a raise...but I doubt the Blues give him one.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

strocklen083
All-Star
All-Star

Post by strocklen083 »

Here's a link to the list of UFA's for this coming summer sorted by position and current salary.

http://www.sportscity.com/nhl/2010-nhl- ... -position/

There's a couple of names that stand out for me. First and foremost on the list for me is Patrick Marleau. He'll command top dollar and I don't know if he's had any negotiations with San Jose yet. But I'd have to believe if they don't win the Cup this year, the organization is likely to go in a different direction.

Other names that would be at the top of my list include Kyle Wellwood, Alexander Frolov, Alexi Ponikarovsky, and Matt Stajan.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

strocklen083 wrote:Here's a link to the list of UFA's for this coming summer sorted by position and current salary.

http://www.sportscity.com/nhl/2010-nhl- ... -position/

There's a couple of names that stand out for me. First and foremost on the list for me is Patrick Marleau. He'll command top dollar and I don't know if he's had any negotiations with San Jose yet. But I'd have to believe if they don't win the Cup this year, the organization is likely to go in a different direction.

Other names that would be at the top of my list include Kyle Wellwood, Alexander Frolov, Alexi Ponikarovsky, and Matt Stajan.
I'd be in for Marleau, but in order to afford him, we'd have to dump the salaries of Kariya, Mason, Brewer, AND Jackman.

Huh. Well now that doesn't sound too bad... :wink:

keithp40
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by keithp40 »

cprice12 wrote:Mason's contract is up as well...that's another $4 million.
He wants a raise...but I doubt the Blues give him one.
yeah, i would rather dump him and go with some young goal tending by committee, see how that pans out for us. if we are going to stick with the youth movement, might as well do it with the goal tending as well.
"Can't wait till 50 posts, so I can create a new topic!"

Wulfen
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Wulfen »

None of the forwards really stand out aside from the ones already mentioned. I wouldnt mind seeing Prospal or Fedotenko come to town at a reasonable price. If we could dump Brewers salary i would love to see Corvo or Robidas on the blueline. If we can pry Nabokov from the Shark pay that man whatever he wants. Outside of him id take a chance on Toskala or Auld

keithp40
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by keithp40 »

Wulfen wrote:None of the forwards really stand out aside from the ones already mentioned. I wouldnt mind seeing Prospal or Fedotenko come to town at a reasonable price. If we could dump Brewers salary i would love to see Corvo or Robidas on the blueline. If we can pry Nabokov from the Shark pay that man whatever he wants. Outside of him id take a chance on Toskala or Auld
sounds like you want to dump most of the team.

just sayn'

strocklen083
All-Star
All-Star

Post by strocklen083 »

gaijin wrote:I'd be in for Marleau, but in order to afford him, we'd have to dump the salaries of Kariya, Mason, Brewer, AND Jackman.

Huh. Well now that doesn't sound too bad... :wink:
In real dollars, Kariya makes 300,000 less than Marleau right now. (Kinda makes ya sick thinking about it). He'll obviously command a raise and commitment of years, but once Kariya and Tkachuk (or Mason) come off the books, we'll have the flexibility to pay it. Although I'd like to dump Jackman and Brewer, they wouldn't be necessary in order to afford a guy like Marleau.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I say hit the RFA market, offer sheets for Loui Eriksson and Alex Semin.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

glen a richter wrote:I say hit the RFA market, offer sheets for Loui Eriksson and Alex Semin.
++

I did that in the other thread, but I am doing it again.

Also, got to remember is St. Louis an ideal destination for some of these UFA's like Marleau? Either means we don't have a chance or will have to overpay what a team who is in the hunt for the Stanley cup would have to.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

JWatt (formerly PMS)
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JWatt (formerly PMS) »

Patrick Marleau is just Brad Boyes (or better yet, Jonathan Cheechoo) with Joe Thornton as his center. Take him away from Joe Thornton and he's a 60 point player (he actually only scored 48 points 2 years ago before he got put on Thornton's line). Marleau will get overpaid in the UFA market, and he should donate half his salary to Joe Thornton.

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

Make a qualifying offer to Nicklas Backstrom. Semin already signed an extension for $6M. (Kariya Money, again kind of makes you sick).
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

strocklen083
All-Star
All-Star

Post by strocklen083 »

glen a richter wrote:I say hit the RFA market, offer sheets for Loui Eriksson and Alex Semin.
I'm extremely hesitant to get into another RFA pissing match. Don't forget Johnson and Perron are up this year while Oshie and Berglund are up next year. Gotta be careful when treading in the RFA waters.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

JWatt (formerly PMS) wrote:Patrick Marleau is just Brad Boyes (or better yet, Jonathan Cheechoo) with Joe Thornton as his center. Take him away from Joe Thornton and he's a 60 point player (he actually only scored 48 points 2 years ago before he got put on Thornton's line). Marleau will get overpaid in the UFA market, and he should donate half his salary to Joe Thornton.
:plusplus:
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

keithp40 wrote:
Wulfen wrote:None of the forwards really stand out aside from the ones already mentioned. I wouldnt mind seeing Prospal or Fedotenko come to town at a reasonable price. If we could dump Brewers salary i would love to see Corvo or Robidas on the blueline. If we can pry Nabokov from the Shark pay that man whatever he wants. Outside of him id take a chance on Toskala or Auld

just sayn'
I would be ok with that. Say goodbye to Mason, Kariya, Winchester, Walt, Carlo (even though I do like him), and see if we can get anything on draft day for Crombeen/Brewer.

Just sayin'
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

ProngerBlues44 wrote:
keithp40 wrote:

just sayn'
I would be ok with that. Say goodbye to Mason, Kariya, Winchester, Walt, Carlo (even though I do like him), and see if we can get anything on draft day for Crombeen/Brewer.

Just sayin'

What about Boyes and Jackman?

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

strocklen083 wrote:Other names that would be at the top of my list include Kyle Wellwood, Alexander Frolov, Alexi Ponikarovsky, and Matt Stajan.
What the heck's intriguing about Wellwood? He was almost waiver bound up in Nuckland.

A-Yo!
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by A-Yo! »

Really, who is there to choose from that is a UFA? Not much in the definition of "super star" status.

I am trying to figure out though, why is Kovalchuk traded for basically nothing. The Blues could have come up with a better deal. Now my question is this, did the Devs do it because they know that IK was going to test the FA waters no matter what they offer? If so, the Blues need to lop the heads off of Kariya, Jackman, Brewer, pull down the banners and change the name of Brett Hull Way outside of the Scotty, have Bernie give up some cabinets and absolutely anything else needed to try and get this guy here! He IS a super star and a proven badass on the ice.

Outside of that, going the RFA route could be ok but that is a gamble all over again...

keithp40
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by keithp40 »

A-Yo! wrote:
Outside of that, going the RFA route could be ok but that is a gamble all over again...
in reality, everyone is a gamble nowadays. look at PK.....he came in and has underperformed. gamble lost.

JWatt (formerly PMS)
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JWatt (formerly PMS) »

A-Yo! wrote:I am trying to figure out though, why is Kovalchuk traded for basically nothing.
He's a UFA. The going rate for only 25 games of an elite player in the salary cap era isn't that high. It's pretty similar to the Hossa deal. That's the going rate. No contract = no value.