Blues lowest scoring team post lockout

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Blues lowest scoring team post lockout

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I have no issues with how they approached the off season. They shored up in net, got everyone healthy, and tried to plan for this year based on last year. There is no way they could have predicted total failure from our scorers across the board. We had some concerns about it, I am sure they did too, but I don't think anyone would have bet on everyone having an off year.

That being said, I think you know more about your team now than you did then, and you can clearly say that we need an elite scorer. Maybe one of the kids is going to turn into that, but maybe not. The trick will be deciding who to move in a deal when you try to get that elite scorer - and we can and should move one of Oshie, Perron, Backes, or Berglund in a package to get a bonafide top line guy.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:and we can and should move one of Oshie, Perron, Backes, or Berglund in a package to get a bonafide top line guy.

Well, it's doubtful that Bergie has enough value right now, and Oshie probably never did.

Perron or Backes are probably your two biggest 'values' out of that bunch and considering the contract situations it's probably Perron that get's moved although Backes may have more value.

I hate to see any of them go, but you are right that we have to move one (or more) for a proven stud.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

That is the Lar approach (see KT and DW original deals). You still, in general, have to pay those guys top dollar, so why not keep your young talent and sign a UFA.
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Leedog wrote:That is the Lar approach (see KT and DW original deals). You still, in general, have to pay those guys top dollar, so why not keep your young talent and sign a UFA.
Because those guys never get to be UFA - see Walt and DW and Kovy. No one lets top guys walk for nothing; maybe it costs you prospects or picks, but there are rarely if ever "top" guys in the UFA market imo.

keithp40
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by keithp40 »

stick with the kids.......keep the coach that plays the most exciting brand of hockey....the fans love an up-tempo product and will reward the effort by filling the arena......sure beats a revolving door team (like during and after the keenan era) where the play was flat and no one recognized any of the players.

just sayn
"Can't wait till 50 posts, so I can create a new topic!"

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

gaijin wrote:Please forward to Davidson, John.
Ha. So true..
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:
Leedog wrote:That is the Lar approach (see KT and DW original deals). You still, in general, have to pay those guys top dollar, so why not keep your young talent and sign a UFA.
Because those guys never get to be UFA - see Walt and DW and Kovy. No one lets top guys walk for nothing; maybe it costs you prospects or picks, but there are rarely if ever "top" guys in the UFA market imo.
That seems to be true more often than not. The biggest names typically get traded before the deadline, then sign a contract without ever hitting the open market. Kind of a letdown, really.

keithp40
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by keithp40 »

correction!!!!!! other teams who have scored less than the blues since the lock out:
-minnesota north stars
-quebec nordiques
-hartford whalers

and don't give me this crap that they have moved and now they are new teams....the name of the team has changed...dropping the north counts.
"Can't wait till 50 posts, so I can create a new topic!"

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

Are you posting just to get your post number up? Just wondering.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

keithp40 wrote:correction!!!!!! other teams who have scored less than the blues since the lock out:
-minnesota north stars
-quebec nordiques
-hartford whalers

and don't give me this crap that they have moved and now they are new teams....the name of the team has changed...dropping the north counts.
Ahhhh...the lock out was 2004-2005. Since then Dallas (North Stars), Colorado (Nordiques), and Carolina (Hartford) HAVE scored more goals than St. Louis. Know your stats.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

philco_3 wrote:
keithp40 wrote:correction!!!!!! other teams who have scored less than the blues since the lock out:
-minnesota north stars
-quebec nordiques
-hartford whalers

Ahhhh...the lock out was 2004-2005. Since then Dallas (North Stars), Colorado (Nordiques), and Carolina (Hartford) HAVE scored more goals than St. Louis. Know your stats.
Re-read his silly post - know your sarcasm

He's a koolaide guzzler, man. don't waste ur times.