Blues done for the offseason?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Blues done for the offseason?

Post by Leedog »

And I'm not bashing the Halak deal. But the guy (Eller) who was supposed to be the low cost, build thru the draft, guy waiting in the wings to replace the old guys you purged, isn't here to do so. So he needs to be replaced without giving up assets.
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

Leedog wrote:And I'm not bashing the Halak deal. But the guy (Eller) who was supposed to be the low cost, build thru the draft, guy waiting in the wings to replace the old guys you purged, isn't here to do so. So he needs to be replaced without giving up assets.
:woohoo:
TARASENKO!!
:woohoo:

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

gw19lax: Hey JR, one more question....

How much of a change in the Blues Free Agency plans / philosophy was there after the TowerBrook group left? Did it throw a major wrench in the plans or was to go this direction all along?
Jeremy Rutherford:
Every agent I have spoken to has brought up the TowerBrook situation. Every agent says that the Blues are NOT operating as normal because of the pending divestment of TowerBrook. The Blues have said it's not affecting the day-to-day operation, but with a lower payroll this season, how can anyone believe otherwise.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

If Tarasenko was going to be on the Blues roster this season, we would know by now.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

glen a richter wrote:If Tarasenko was going to be on the Blues roster this season, we would know by now.
Yea, you'd think a team that lost 31 goals worth of offense and hasn't bothered to replace them would be right on top of any Tarasenko news....

He probably called 2 weeks ago and had to leave a message, "umm, hey guys this is Vlad..uh, I was just calling to see if it was cool if I joined the Blues this season? Yea so, give me a call back..I'm going to Despicable Me tonight but I should be around any other time."

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S HOLY, CHECK YOUR VOICE MAIL!!!

:doh:
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

:lol:

Well said

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

Congratulations, Dollar Dave. You're Bill Laurie, part two.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Nyghtewynd wrote:Congratulations, Dollar Dave. You're Bill Laurie, part two.

That couldn't be more true.

Hopefully, we don't give away any established talent, but think about it.......

Dave is looking for an investment group, not someone who loves hockey and wants to own a team, they would want too much control.

An investment group would not like long term debt (contracts). I don't care how good you are, unless your name is Crosby or Ovechkin, you're mere debt to an 'investment' group.

They want to see ROI. The only problem 'Dollar' Dave has right now is ticket sales. He can show the sales growth over the last few seasons and show expected increased revenue based on raised ticket prices, but he's got to move season tickets this year and they know it's not going to be easy. But they've tried to help it along by offering 10 month payment plans on full season tickets and even offering a four payment play on 10 game packs.

They simply aren't going to spend the money or do very long contracts (look for EJ to get a similar deal to DP's, but for more jack), so the most important thing now for us as Blues fans is to hope they get this change in investors handled quickly so that we can 'honestly' approach next offseason.

Of course with investment groups involved, we can probably expect this process to repeat it's self every few years.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Lets not forget the addition of EJ and Berglund on Twitter. The offseason is far from over.

But seriously, why Twitter? :facepalm:

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Nyghtewynd wrote:Congratulations, Dollar Dave. You're Bill Laurie, part two.
Interesting and discouraging that every agent is brining up the Towerbrook situation.

I wouldn't call Checketts, "Bill Laurie part two".
If the Towerbrook group wasn't backing out of the ownership group, things may be different.
But, you know, that's been the trend with this organization since we came into the league...every handfull of years we've had ownership issues...or we just get screwed by a high up individual in the organization.

- Only five years after purchasing the Blues from the Sid Solomon, Ralston-Purina (under new ownership...and the new owner didn't like hockey) put the Blues up for sale and cut the team's front offices staff to three employees...three. (How is that even possible?) We were sold to a group wanting to move the team to Saskatoon, but the NHL blocked the sale. So Purina literally padlocked the doors to the Checkerdome, abandoned the team and turned them over to the NHL. We didn't draft anyone that year because we didn't send a representative to the draft. We were destined to be contracted and dissolved until Harry Ornest saved the day in the 11th hour. I don't think people realize how close that came to happening.
Crazy.

- Harry Ornest then sells the team just two years later to Michael Shanahan.

- Pat Quinn ratted out the organization on the "tampering with Stevens" case... and being stupid enough to leave an obvious paper trail...costing us draft picks. Douchebag.

- Mike Keenan trading away fan favorites and impact players for "his guys"...which ended up being a disaster.

- Bill Laurie, after getting the Blues close, pulled in the reigns and didn't let the team sign any free agents from the biggest and best free agent pool in the history of the league, and also forced Pleau to trade Pronger for basically nothing because he didn't want any big contracts on the books since he was trying to sell the team...essentially putting us behind every other team in the NHL coming out of the lockout. And not surprisingly, we finished last overall.

- Checketts and his group buy the team. Start a rebuilding process.

- Towerbrook pulls out of the ownership group, and has apparently tied the hands of the organization during the current offseason free agency period.

It would be nice to not have ownership issues that rival soap opera story lines.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

cprice12 wrote:
It would be nice to not have ownership issues that rival soap opera story lines.

And I fear it's going to stay that way with a (good) guy running the organization that doesn't have the jack, so he'll have to continually recruit investment partners.

And with the talk of another possible lockout in two seasons, not only is the NHL not the most 'attractive' investment opportunity, anyone he does invest will probably be quick to sell off if things do start to look ugly that summer.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

This team is as ****ed as usual.

The truth is that our roster of kids is not as good as we are being lead to believe and the team has no money to buy support players and a lockout is looming right around the time the kids should be hitting their stride anyway. We're ****ed.

We're Blues fans. Did we really expect anything to ever get better? Really?

Miserable failure is all this franchise has ever accomplished. It doesn't matter who is running it or how good the team looks on paper. It's been 40 years of miserable failure. There is a dark cloud over the team.

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Didn't you hear Ken Wilson during the 2000-01 season? He compared the 1980-81, 1990-91, and 2000-01 teams. You best believe this 10-11 team will make a run.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

kodos wrote:This team is as ****ed as usual.

The truth is that our roster of kids is not as good as we are being lead to believe and the team has no money to buy support players and a lockout is looming right around the time the kids should be hitting their stride anyway. We're ****ed.

Miserable failure is all this franchise has ever accomplished. It doesn't matter who is running it or how good the team looks on paper. It's been 40 years of miserable failure. There is a dark cloud over the team.
Well aren't you a happy little ray of sunshine today?

Note, however, that I'm not disagreeing with you
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

kodos wrote:This team is as ****ed as usual.

Well, to be fair...the younger players may just need more time to get better.
I think a lot of us expected them to be great right out of the chute. We see flashes of brilliance, but nothing close to consistent yet. They could very well become more consistent...it's just a wait and see thing.
Oshie, Perron, EJ, Petro, Backes, Berglund
I'm not that high on Petro or Berglund, but I am optimistic that Oshie, Perron and Backes will have/could have breakout years.

They really need to acquire a stud forward... maybe Boyes can have a bounce back season and be that guy?

Who knows... just start the season already. Sign Frolov and start the season. I want to see how it all pans out.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

[quote="cprice12"][quote="kodos"]This team is as ****ed as usual.

They really need to acquire a stud forward... maybe Boyes can have a bounce back season and be that guy?

Who knows... just start the season already. [b] Sign Frolov and start the season.[/b] I want to see how it all pans out.[/quote]

They're NOT going to sign someone at $ 4.5 million. I'll be happy if they sign Guerin at $1.7 million, or trade for cap casualty, Jamie Langenbrunner at $2.8 million, just to keeo\p from having to count on D'Agostini or Winchester for scoring.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

cprice12 wrote: Sign Frolov and start the season. I want to see how it all pans out.

It's not even that I'm that 'high' on Frolov, but I think his presence would make all the difference in the world.

I think the kids contribute a bit more this year and I do expect Boys to to be back around mid 20's in goals, but we still need a solid 17 - 23 goal guy IMO.

Sign Frolov, Jackman or Brewer suffer a season ending injury and we're on our way to the playoffs.

JWatt (formerly PMS)
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JWatt (formerly PMS) »

ViPeRx007 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:If Tarasenko was going to be on the Blues roster this season, we would know by now.
Yea, you'd think a team that lost 31 goals worth of offense and hasn't bothered to replace them would be right on top of any Tarasenko news....

He probably called 2 weeks ago and had to leave a message, "umm, hey guys this is Vlad..uh, I was just calling to see if it was cool if I joined the Blues this season? Yea so, give me a call back..I'm going to Despicable Me tonight but I should be around any other time."

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S HOLY, CHECK YOUR VOICE MAIL!!!

:doh:
You know, as long as Tarasenko is under contract to a KHL team, the Blues are going to remain silent. Tarasenko is the one responsible for possibly buying himself out of his KHL contract. The Blues can't talk to him about buying himself out, give him some money to buy out, or even discuss any type of financial "reward" for buying himself out of his KHL contract (like making the team and making an NHL salary). Doing so would violate the NHL compensation rules and likely cost the Blues fines and draft picks. Toronto got fined and lost a 4th round pick for this last year, so the Blues aren't going to talk about this publicly. The Blues would have liked for him to be able to buy himself out of the contract, but he didn't, and they are fine with him playing another year in the KHL. It is a better league than the AHL and won't count toward any professional years of service that would make him a UFA earlier.

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

Thought it was kind of interesting that the email I received today mentioned that you can STILL buy "cheap seat" season tickets. I wish we knew someone who could get their hands on season ticket numbers.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Or how about this?

Does anyone work in or have substantial connections with people in state lotteries?

Have one of us win it a few times with the agreement to buy the St. Louis Blues as a result. Problem solved.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk