GDT #20: Blues @ Preds, 24 Nov 2010

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Re: GDT #20: Blues @ Preds, 24 Nov 2010

Post by JPonder94 »

glen a richter wrote:I guess a win is a win, but come on guys, you need to find a way to muster up some more shots than that against a division rival. I believe AMac scored in the shootout solely because Rinne simply wasn't expecting anything to hit the net.
I was laughing in the shootout. Not just the Blues, but NO ONE could hit the net! That was an ugly game for both offenses.

The Blues did maintain a lot of pressure at certain points tonight, which is a good sign. :letsgoblues:
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I didn't get to see much of the game, but it's very nice to win a three straight after that skid.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

I thought the ice looked horrible.
Players falling down all over the place...pucks bouncing around...shots & passes fluttering off of blades.

That would explain the poorer than usual play on both sides.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

I'll take the win, but that was one of the worst hockey games (both teams) I've seen.

So Andy MaC can score as long as he's carring the puck, but he can't connect on a one timer to save his life?

I truly appreciate both his goals, but dude had a couple of chances to win it in regulation on one timers into the open side of the net and just wiffed.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Sobotka was pretty bad last night in the defensive zone. Repeatedly turned the puck over in Predators scoring areas. Offensive zone, he was fine. Defensive zone - darn near disastrous if Halak hadn't been "on" last night.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

The problem is 2-game suspensions for someone who targets the head is not enough of a punishment to prevent that player from targeting someone else in the head again. The league claims they want to protect players and emphasize preventing hits to the head. But the league's punishment does not fit their statement.

10 game suspensions would be more realistic if they were serious about protecting players from intentional head shots.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

stlmark
All-Star
All-Star

Post by stlmark »

2 big points last night, but is it me or does it seems like the Blues try to be to damn pretty at times? Surprise the netminder and shoot the puck.

I remember one instance where Berglund came from his off wing to the high slot only to dish it off to someone at the half boards. Shoot it and go for rebounds dammit!

Anyway, good win and shit, I'm ecstatic cause :halak: :woohoo: !
LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka

BleednBlueFan
Prospect
Prospect

Post by BleednBlueFan »

Yeah, I agree with many of the statements in this thread. It truly was a horrible game on both sides, BUT the Blues left with a win none the less, and you gotta be happy about that. Does anybody else feel like the VS. crew of commentators simply thinks Blues are the a red headed step child of the NHL? LOL! All they could talk about was the fact that we had very little shots on goal. Granted it was true, but constantly going on about it had me wishing I had a "mute" button for the commentators. I've been watching the new "NHL OVERTIME" show the past couple of weeks, and they always seem to center their discussion on just about every team OTHER than the Blues. Of course I'm biased, so this may just be me once again over analyzing things, but it sure seems that way.

It was great to see Jackman back in the line up playing hard, and standing up for his team mates. Did anyone else notice how suddenly Brewer started to get more confrontational last night? He actually had a pretty good game in my opinion. He was fighting extremely hard for the puck in our own end, and really seemed to step up his game. I just wish he had been doing this from the get go. Regardless, it was nice to see. GO BLUES!

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

Versus commentary was very basis and very bad last night. I would have rather listened to John Madden.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I know folks here don't like hockey to be compared to baseball, but the Blues really remind me of the 2010 Cardinals so far. Win 7, lose 5, win 3. Streaky. Hopefully they level out, something the Cards weren't able to do until the very end of the season, when it was too late. It may be early, this trend may not last, but glad to see them sneak away with 2 points they probably shouldn't have came away with.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

philco_3 wrote:Versus commentary was very basis and very bad last night. I would have rather listened to John Madden.
They were horrid
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

Wasn't the announcer the Rangers' number two guy? Like, when Sam Rosen is out for some reason?

It's like Versus doesn't care if it keeps the NHL next year.
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

ohio BLUES wrote:Wasn't the announcer the Rangers' number two guy? Like, when Sam Rosen is out for some reason?

It's like Versus doesn't care if it keeps the NHL next year.
I think they know they will be losing the NHL to ESPN next year.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

philco_3 wrote:Versus commentary was very basis and very bad last night. I would have rather listened to John Madden.
I thought the same thing.
Commentary and play-by-play was terrible.
Maybe it was because the Predators were at home, but the VS play-by-play crew talked constantly about the Preds...so much so it seemed like I was watching the Nashville feed of the game.
Before the game they interviewed, Weber, I think...down on the ice. I thought they would then interview a Blues player...but no...just Weber. And I was like...WTF?

And when there was a scoring chance they seemed indifferent to what was going on...very casual call of the game. Granted, great chances were few and far between, but they displayed no emotion whatsoever when scoring chances did come along. I know the game was boring, but they made it even more boring.

I appreciate VS for televising games, but I hate them for sucking at it.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

versus is almost always terrible at hockey IMO.

I love Gary Thorne though. Hopefully he's back doing ESPN hockey games next year.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Habit
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Habit »

I assumed those were Nashville announcers. They mentioned talking to Preds players before the game and such.