Basement/Mancave?

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

Basement/Mancave?

Postby cprice12 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:38 pm

I have finally started the process of finishing my basement.
I've yet to decide on some aspects of it...which I need to do before I start constructing the interior walls.

Anyone have photos of their basement or ideas for a kick ass basement/mancave that they would like to share?
This will be where I will be watching Blues hockey for the rest of my life, so I don't want to screw it up. :lol:

My grandfather, who passed away in 1997, had a bar in his basement that he made out of an old shuffleboard bowling game (you know the kind where the "puck" slides under the pins and the pins flip up?)...and there is a heavy wooden shelf & post setup with a large mirror on the wall behind the bar. Pretty cool. I always liked that bar, and I'm planning on moving it into my basement when it's finished.

Anyway...just looking for ideas.
Thanks guys.
Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Basement/Mancave?

Postby fargoblues » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:24 pm

In-wall/in-ceiling speakers are a nice touch. TV should be wall mounted.
Bar should have a functioning sink.
Stripper pole should be stainless steel or similar material.
Shower optional, make sure you have adequate drainage if using in combination with above.
Automated bill breaker for when amateur night goes horribly wrong.

Wait, what was the question?
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.
fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Postby cprice12 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:42 am

fargoblues wrote:In-wall/in-ceiling speakers are a nice touch.

I had thought of doing this, and having a stereo hooked up to them as well. Just need some ideas, suggestions for type/brand/setup/etc.

TV should be wall mounted.

I will be getting around a 50" flat screen, and it will be mounted...got the spot picked out already.

Bar should have a functioning sink.

Also on the list.

Stripper pole should be stainless steel or similar material.

The one I have is brass...mistake?

Shower optional, make sure you have adequate drainage if using in combination with above.
Automated bill breaker for when amateur night goes horribly wrong.

:shock:
We actually decided not to rough in plumbing for a shower/tub when we built the house. We'd never use it...however, I wish we had just done it just in case we wanted to put one in in the future. Oh well. If push comes to shove and we had to have a shower down there, maybe I could rig the shower to drain to over to the floor drain...meh, probably not.
cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Portland Blues » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:08 pm

cprice12 wrote:We actually decided not to rough in plumbing for a shower/tub when we built the house. We'd never use it...however, I wish we had just done it just in case we wanted to put one in in the future. Oh well. If push comes to shove and we had to have a shower down there, maybe I could rig the shower to drain to over to the floor drain...meh, probably not.

Just put in a big enough sink and you can take hippie baths in the sink.

:lol:
Portland Blues
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Postby WaukeeBlues » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:43 pm

Lived in a basement bedroom my whole life, mostly love it, especially in the summer.

If you have the space and $$, a decent bar is A #1. Combined with seating and a decent TV you have a serious man-cave at that point.

Also- carpet if you can. Basement floors get downright freezing in the winter, carpet kind of helps. Looks more polished too.

Space heater- same reasons- too cold in the winter.
WaukeeBlues
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Postby cprice12 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:34 pm

WaukeeBlues wrote:Lived in a basement bedroom my whole life, mostly love it, especially in the summer.

If you have the space and $$, a decent bar is A #1. Combined with seating and a decent TV you have a serious man-cave at that point.

Also- carpet if you can. Basement floors get downright freezing in the winter, carpet kind of helps. Looks more polished too.

We are doing a bar, tv viewing area, poker/game area, area for a small office...and yes, we are doing carpet.
cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Portland Blues » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:43 pm

cprice12 wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:Lived in a basement bedroom my whole life, mostly love it, especially in the summer.

We are doing a bar, tv viewing area, poker/game area, area for a small office...and yes, we are doing carpet.

Will the curtains match the carpet?
Portland Blues
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Postby big d note » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:02 am

Make sure you have enough wall space for all your Sanford gamers.
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now
big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Postby cprice12 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:23 pm

big d note wrote:Make sure you have enough wall space for all your Sanford gamers.

Sanford gamers? I'm not made of money.
cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby goon attack » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:13 pm

must be nice to be so wealthy
Official '13-'14 sponsor of another season of bitter disappointment
Past Sponsorships: '13: communism; 11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; 10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; 09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; 08-'09: Sandy Miller
goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Postby glen a richter » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:13 pm

goon attack wrote:must be nice to be so wealthy

++. My man cave is non-existent. I could dig having a few extra dollars for something along those lines.
Official sponsor of Ian Cole 2011-2012
Official sponsor of Gary Bettman's Pink Slip 2013
Official sponsor of Dmitrij Jaskin 2013-2014
glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Postby cprice12 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:24 am

goon attack wrote:must be nice to be so wealthy

Finishing a basement qualifies as being wealthy?

Eh...who knew?
cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby goon attack » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:27 pm

I don't have money to do that.
Past Sponsorships: '13: communism; 11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; 10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; 09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; 08-'09: Sandy Miller
goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Postby glen a richter » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:22 pm

I don't have the money for a house with a basement. Hell, I don't really even have the money for a house... period.
Official sponsor of Ian Cole 2011-2012
Official sponsor of Gary Bettman's Pink Slip 2013
Official sponsor of Dmitrij Jaskin 2013-2014
glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Postby Portland Blues » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:45 pm

Can it still count as a Mancave if it's in your mom's basement?
Portland Blues
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Postby cprice12 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:17 am

goon attack wrote:I don't have money to do that.

Finishing a basement doesn't have to be expensive...especially if you do the work yourself.
We're not spending a ton of money on it...and I'm doing all of the work myself.

Rigid insulation, 2x4's, run some wire for some outlets, lights and switches, drywall, trim, carpet, paint. Done.
The internet tells you all you need to know.
Not rocket science...just takes time.

I get 10% off all of the materials at Lowe's...you can get 10% off coupons from ebay for about a buck each. I've got 7 at the house right now that don't expire until May.

To finish the entire basement, including a drop ceiling (the only expensive thing we're doing), may end up costing us around $5k..and that includes a half bath. And considering the value it adds to your home, it's a great investment.
If we were paying someone to do it, it would probably cost three times that.
cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby goon attack » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:07 am

You act like 5k is chump change.

Again, I don't have money to do that.

Plus, we'd need a sump pump so tack on a few extra grand.
goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Postby cprice12 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:36 pm

goon attack wrote:You act like 5k is chump change.

Nope...5k isn't chump change. I wasn't implying that at all..but nonetheless it's cheap for finishing a basement...but that price is doing it yourself. And $5k may actually be a little low...it might end up being around $6k.
If you pay someone to do it, it would cost hella more, like at least $10k more...which is why I am doing it myself. We couldn't afford to have someone finish it for us.

In our case, finishing our basement also comes out of necessity. We need the space. We are expecting our 2nd child in August...so moving the office downstairs to free up a bedroom upstairs is something we have to do. Also downstairs will be a play area for the kids, tv area & poker/bar area.

Does a sump pump cost that much? I think they only cost a few hundred bucks. Installing it yourself would probably save you a lot of money. Plus, it would be fun...you'd get to use a jackhammer.
cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby stlbluz » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:00 pm

cprice12 wrote:

Nope...5k isn't chump change. I wasn't implying that at all..but nonetheless it's cheap for finishing a basement...but that price is doing it yourself. And $5k may actually be a little low...it might end up being around $6k.
If you pay someone to do it, it would cost hella more, like at least $10k more...which is why I am doing it myself. We couldn't afford to have someone finish it for us.

In our case, finishing our basement also comes out of necessity. We need the space. We are expecting our 2nd child in August...so moving the office downstairs to free up a bedroom upstairs is something we have to do. Also downstairs will be a play area for the kids, tv area & poker/bar area.

Does a sump pump cost that much? I think they only cost a few hundred bucks. Installing it yourself would probably save you a lot of money. Plus, it would be fun...you'd get to use a jackhammer.

Congrats!
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald
stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Postby cprice12 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:28 pm

stlbluz wrote:
cprice12 wrote:

Congrats!

Thank you sir...we're pretty pumped about it. 8)
cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Everything Else [OT]