Likely to be More Replay Review in 2012

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Likely to be More Replay Review in 2012

Post by cardsfan04 »

Not sure I like this. I hate the idea of breaking up the rhythm of the game, but they've done a pretty good job w/ HR replays. So, I guess I don't hate the idea per se.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6353837
Report: MLB leans toward extra replay
EmailPrintComments
Associated Press
NEW YORK -- Major League Baseball is leaning toward expanding replay for the 2012 season to include trapped balls and fair-or-foul rulings down the lines, a person familiar with the talks tells The Associated Press.

Commissioner Bud Selig and a group of umpires discussed the extra video review at spring training and were in agreement, said the person, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the matter is still being discussed.

Instant Thoughts On More Replay
What some players think about baseball reportedly incorporating replay to include trapped balls and fair-or-foul rulings down the lines in 2012:

"To have those guys go back and look at replay for everything, it would be just too long unless they had a signal from upstairs and hit a button." -- Chone Figgins,
Mariners third baseman

"Honestly, if they didn't have replay at all, that wouldn't bother me." -- Alex Avila, Tigers catcher

"You're messing with the history of the game when you start messing with too much." -- Aubrey Huff, Giants first baseman

"Yeah to all of them, oh yeah," St. Louis reliever Ryan Franklin said. "I just think they should all be called the right way, and it doesn't matter if it takes an extra five minutes."

"Don't take so long between innings, cut 10 seconds off between every half-inning and that could make up for five minutes for the replay on a trapped ball or something like that," he said. "It doesn't happen that often."

Baseball began using replay late in the 2008 season, though only to check potential home run balls. The NFL, NBA, NHL and the NCAA had already employed instant replay.

Since then, there have been a spate of missed calls in the playoffs and World Series.

Last October, Yankees right fielder Greg Golson clearly caught a low liner for the final out of Game 1 in New York's playoff series against Minnesota, but the umpire ruled the ball bounced. In the 2009 AL playoffs, Joe Mauer's looper down the left-field line landed fair by a full foot at Yankee Stadium, hopped into the seats and was mistakenly called a foul ball.

Out-or-safe calls on the bases, like the one that cost Armando Galarraga a perfect game last year, would not be subject to review. Nor would ball-or-strike decisions.

Players and umpires approved adding replay three years ago. MLB's contract with the umpires runs through the 2014 season; the labor deal with players expires this December.

Selig's special committee for on-field matters, a 14-man panel that includes managers, general managers and team executives, also is said to favor the additional replay for next year.

Others are more leery.

"I think it might be too much if you do that. Then you have to do it for everything, strikes, I think it's just a tough call," Seattle third baseman Chone Figgins said. "To have those guys go back and look at replay for everything, it would be just too long unless they had a signal from upstairs and hit a button."

Said San Francisco's Aubrey Huff: "You're messing with the history of the game when you start messing with too much."

"We make mistakes, they make mistakes. You're talking big home runs, that's one thing. You're talking out or safe at home, then why have umpires? Let the cameras make the calls. It's just stupid," he said.

Tracking whether a ball lands fair or foul could be achieved with enhanced technology, experts say. Grand Slam tennis has replay for line calls, using a multi-camera system aimed at fixed points.

Judging whether a ball is caught or not could be more tricky. Then again, the NFL sorts out catch-or-no catch by reviewing broadcast shots from several angles.

"I think that the fair-foul thing, I'd be more in favor of that than the trap," San Diego third baseman Chase Headley said. "Not that I'm against it, but I just think that it seems like that would be a pretty simple, quick thing."

"I don't think you want to drag the game on too long, so you don't want to go too overboard with it," he said. "I could see it happening, but I think that if they're going to keep adding stuff they should do it little by little to kind of see how it goes."

Detroit catcher Alex Avila called himself a "purist."

"The human element of the game, to me, is one of the best parts about baseball," he said. "Honestly, if they didn't have replay at all, that wouldn't bother me."

Los Angeles Dodgers center fielder Matt Kemp could be helped -- or hurt -- by reviews on balls hit his way.

"Sometimes you're going to be on that side where you want a replay and then sometimes you're going to be on the side where you don't want a replay," the Gold Glover said. "I say you just keep it the way it is and let the umpires decide what it is and go on about playing the game."

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Likely to be More Replay Review in 2012

Post by DaDitka »

"Yeah to all of them, oh yeah," St. Louis reliever Ryan Franklin said. "I just think they should all be called the right way, and it doesn't matter if it takes an extra five minutes."

"Don't take so long between innings, cut 10 seconds off between every half-inning and that could make up for five minutes for the replay on a trapped ball or something like that," he said. "It doesn't happen that often."

I think this is the first (and probably last) time I've ever been proud to call Franklin a Cardinal.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

About time. I don't understand why anyone is against letting people figure out the correct call. It's not going to take very long. Very rarely will there be a play that will take 5 mins to try and figure out. If you can't tell, flip a coin...

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

abc789987 wrote:About time. I don't understand why anyone is against letting people figure out the correct call. It's not going to take very long. Very rarely will there be a play that will take 5 mins to try and figure out. If you can't tell, flip a coin...

Exactly, baseball is already too long and boring, so what difference does it make. The difference will be minimal to begin with, and giving Shannon more time to kill on the mic is win win for everyone.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I'm not against it, but I have 2 concerns about it.

1. Disrupts the flow of a game. If a pitcher is in the zone, and then they take 3-5 minutes in between batters to review something, that's a negative.

2. What do you do with baserunners? I'm sure this can be worked out, but I don't think I'll like it. If it's ruled fair, and it's determined to be foul on replay, it's very easy. Just reset w/ an extra strike. If it's ruled foul, but determined to be fair on replay, what now? Ground rule double if it's down the line? What about a trap? If it's ruled a catch on the field, everybody just gets one base? I guess there are solutions, but, meh. There's an article I read a day or two ago that went into a lot of situations like this. I'll try to find it as it echoes my concerns very well.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Bah, instant replay. Call me a traditionalist, but the human element is a huge part of baseball. Mistakes happen for every team and they balance out at the end of the year anyway.

Here's how we speed up the game: Pitchers don't get 8 warm up pitches every inning, only prior to their first inning pitched. Every other inning that they're in there, they get 4 warm up pitches, which will also reduce the time between innings. You bring in a reliever, he can get his 8, but if you're playing matchup games by switching pitchers 20 times in the same inning, the others only get 4 warm up pitches. Would probably result in fewer in-inning pitching changes which would automatically speed up the game.

Batters who step outside of a designated area during their at bat (other than to receive some new lumber in the event of a busted bat or medical attention) are automatically called out. Pitchers who take more than 15 seconds to throw the ball once they've gotten it back from the catcher surrender an automatic ball. Pitch clock will be posted on the backdrop so they can see how much time they have. No excuses.

No one can visit the mound except the catcher, pitching coach, manager and trainers. That means no more orgies of every goddam infielder congregating on the mound to discuss whether or not candlesticks make a good present. Visits by anyone (other than trainers for medical attention) can be no more than 15 seconds--enforced. Catcher can only visit each pitcher he catches maximum once in a game. Get your signals right before hand so you don't have to go out there every fukking batter and plan a sequence. If not before the game, talk it over in the dugout between innings.

I would almost lean towards setting up a "maximum lead" line to reduce the number of pickoff attempts, but that would harm the speedsters.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

cardsfan04 wrote: 1. Disrupts the flow of a game. If a pitcher is in the zone, and then they take 3-5 minutes in between batters to review something, that's a negative.
I think getting the call right far out weighs the negative of a pitcher getting out of the "zone". Also I don't see why it should take that long, we can see on TV in 10-15 seconds, just radio to the ump the correct call. They way they do the replays now on HRs and in football seems unnecessary to me.
cardsfan04 wrote: 2. What do you do with baserunners? I'm sure this can be worked out, but I don't think I'll like it. If it's ruled fair, and it's determined to be foul on replay, it's very easy. Just reset w/ an extra strike. If it's ruled foul, but determined to be fair on replay, what now? Ground rule double if it's down the line? What about a trap? If it's ruled a catch on the field, everybody just gets one base? I guess there are solutions, but, meh. There's an article I read a day or two ago that went into a lot of situations like this. I'll try to find it as it echoes my concerns very well.
This is a very good question, and I'm not really sure what they will do about it. If the trap was reviewable, would this keep outfielders from trying to fake out the umps by pretending they caught the ball? Or would they still do it because it will cause the player to hesitate on the bases? Maybe with balls close balls down the line it's always assumed to be fair and they if it's not they just reset.

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

glen a richter wrote:Bah, instant replay. Call me a traditionalist, but the human element is a huge part of baseball. Mistakes happen for every team and they balance out at the end of the year anyway.

Here's how we speed up the game: Pitchers don't get 8 warm up pitches every inning, only prior to their first inning pitched. Every other inning that they're in there, they get 4 warm up pitches, which will also reduce the time between innings. You bring in a reliever, he can get his 8, but if you're playing matchup games by switching pitchers 20 times in the same inning, the others only get 4 warm up pitches. Would probably result in fewer in-inning pitching changes which would automatically speed up the game.

Batters who step outside of a designated area during their at bat (other than to receive some new lumber in the event of a busted bat or medical attention) are automatically called out. Pitchers who take more than 15 seconds to throw the ball once they've gotten it back from the catcher surrender an automatic ball. Pitch clock will be posted on the backdrop so they can see how much time they have. No excuses.

No one can visit the mound except the catcher, pitching coach, manager and trainers. That means no more orgies of every goddam infielder congregating on the mound to discuss whether or not candlesticks make a good present. Visits by anyone (other than trainers for medical attention) can be no more than 15 seconds--enforced. Catcher can only visit each pitcher he catches maximum once in a game. Get your signals right before hand so you don't have to go out there every fukking batter and plan a sequence. If not before the game, talk it over in the dugout between innings.

I would almost lean towards setting up a "maximum lead" line to reduce the number of pickoff attempts, but that would harm the speedsters.
You say you are a traditionalist but then say place a "maximum lead" line on the bases... :facepalm:

I guess I wouldn't be against trying to speed up the at-bats. But I don't think I want to limit the warmup pitches for pitchers, I think this would only hurt the pitchers.

I think the meetings on the mound shouldn't be disallowed. I believe there are important times in the game where an infielder has something beneficial to say to the pitcher. Maybe just have have the umps keep a tighter watch and not let them abuse it.

They have always been trying to speed up play, I thought they did an okay job of it years ago when they started putting stricter time limits on things. But they have sort of become more relaxed to it now.

Maybe it's just me, but I like long games, in baseball and hockey. I miss the days when a hockey game lasted 3 hours, I didn't want them to end.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I didn't say I would, I said I would lean towards... and then promptly changed my mind.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024