Franklin

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Franklin

Post by DaDitka »

Franklin: "I'm frustrated with myself"

BY DERRICK GOOLD and RICK HUMMEL | Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 11:14 pm | No Comments Posted

ST. LOUIS -- Fresh from a two-inning appearance in the Cardinals' afternoon loss to the Washington Nationals, Cardinals closer Ryan Franklin said he was frustrated with the fans at Busch Stadium and the boos that greeted him during his appearance.

He said that the fans had "short memories" and the boos showed the "true colors" of a fan base dipped in the marketing mystique that goes with the "Best Fans in Baseball" slogan. Franklin made mention of that reputation when criticizing the quick-trigger boos.

Given a few hours to reconsider, Franklin sought to reframe those comments, calling the media to after the night game to say he shares in the fans' frustrations. He feels it, too.

"Obviously these last 2 1/2 weeks have been frustrating for me, and I'm frustrated with myself. I can understand why the fans are frustrated," said Franklin, who has been temporarily removed from the closer role after blowing four of his first five save opportunities this season. "I've loved my time here in St. Louis. It's my favorite place to play. It's just a frustrating time for me right now, because I feel like I'm letting everyone down.

"First and foremost, I'm letting myself down," he continued. "I'm letting the team down and obviously the fans. It's just been a hard time for me right now, and it's something I've never been through. It's just really frustrating. Things didn't come out the right way. It was right after the game and I said things I shouldn't have said. I apologize for that. It was the wrong thing to say, but at the same time I was frustrated. I am frustrated. I'm just trying to do my best to do everything I can to get back on track. So that's what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to get back out there and help this team."

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Franklin

Post by abc789987 »

Halfway though that I thought... bye bye... but nice to hear he came to his senses.

I guess I'm okay with him just being in the bullpen, but I can't handle an entire season of him being our "closer"...

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I get it...I totally get why he said what he did. I don't think it's anything he should be shipped out of town for. As fans, we sometimes take ourselves too seriously. I get that these guys are 'paid millions of dollars to play a game' as so many fans are inclined to say. But we still pay money to go to games and support these players. We are aiding in the payment of these salaries.

I'm not saying we can't boo.

But I know that if I have a bad day at work, I can do so with only myself and my bosses knowing that. But if I had thousands of people who are 'supposed' to be on my side booing at me when I make one mistake in a relatively mistake free day?

I'd be upset and I'd let people know about it.

Yes, Franklin has sucked. But he's human, as well. And sometimes when humans vent their feelings, it comes out wrong or its something we later regret. He's no different than you or me, other than that he is a millionaire and he's got a giant red patch of fuzz on his chin.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

dmiles2186 wrote:. He's no different than you or me, other than that he is a millionaire and he's got a giant red patch of fuzz on his chin.
I had red fuzz on my face to once. Then she and I broke up. :facepalm:

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya