Question for Baseball fans

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Question for Baseball fans

Post by Ruutu15 »

So, as you have probably heard by now, the Feds screwed up in the Roger Clemens trial which resulted in a mistrial. The question posed on ESPN.com is currently "With the mistrial, would you consider Roger Clemens a Hall of Famer?" What would you choose?

I chose yes. I hate Roger Clemens and always have. Just like I've hated Barry Bonds since he was in Pittsburgh. It has nothing to do with the juice. I hate interleague baseball, I'm not too fond of the idea of expanding the playoffs even further, and I don't like the 6 division format, so I do consider myself somewhat of a purist. That said, I still think that guys like Palmiero, Clemens, Bonds, McGwire, etc. should be in the hall of fame. They were still the best of the best in an era in which suspicion was cast on every player in a Major League clubhouse. And since I live in Cincinnati now, I'll repeat here what gets me in bar room confrontations around here...Pete Rose should never be in.

Anyway, what do you guys think, and why?

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Question for Baseball fans

Post by glen a richter »

Pete Rose should be in the hall of fame as a player, and if not, then Ty Cobb should be removed from the hall of fame because he was a colossal douchebag, a probably murderer and just a general prick.

Roger Clemens should not be in the hall of fame, nor should anyone else who knowingly cheated. It's because of those douches that a guy like Jeff Bagwell, for whom there is no evidence at all of having ever cheated, will not ever get to the hall.

Unless they start an * Wing, then dump the whole lot of the bastards into that. They can also display used hypodermics and tubes of the cream.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

glen a richter wrote:Pete Rose should be in the hall of fame as a player, and if not, then Ty Cobb should be removed from the hall of fame because he was a colossal douchebag, a probably murderer and just a general prick.

Roger Clemens should not be in the hall of fame, nor should anyone else who knowingly cheated. It's because of those douches that a guy like Jeff Bagwell, for whom there is no evidence at all of having ever cheated, will not ever get to the hall.

Unless they start an * Wing, then dump the whole lot of the bastards into that. They can also display used hypodermics and tubes of the cream.

But see, that's where I respectfully disagree. If you're going to say that Ty Cobb was all of that, where do you draw the line? Mickey Mantle was half in the can DURING almost every game. Baseball was founded by alcoholics and douchebags...that's not against the rules.

It doesn't matter if you think gambling is better or worse than steroids. There's a sign in every major league clubhouse that says gambling is the ONE rule that you cannot break. It carries a lifetime ban. Pete Rose knew the consequences when he placed those bets. Like it or not, there's no lifetime ban for steroids...and it was most likely either encouraged or baseball knowingly looked the other way.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Being drunk is arguably a disadvantage, but Mickey and the other boozehounds were still able to do what they did fully inebriated. Imagine if he was sober all the time.

Steroids gives you an advantage, murdering someone is illegal, there's a big difference between those two things and being a heavy drinker.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

glen a richter wrote:Being drunk is arguably a disadvantage, but Mickey and the other boozehounds were still able to do what they did fully inebriated. Imagine if he was sober all the time.

Steroids gives you an advantage, murdering someone is illegal, there's a big difference between those two things and being a heavy drinker.

Well we agree on everything that you just said, but I never made the connection between murder, drinking, and the legality of such things in my response.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

I'd possibly learn to enjoy baseball if all the players were totally drunk for each game. :lol:

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Portland Blues wrote:I'd possibly learn to enjoy baseball if all the players were totally drunk for each game. :lol:
You'd have guys falling asleep in the dugouts left and right. Baseball is way too slow and boring to participate in while drunk day in and day out.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

DaDitka wrote:
Portland Blues wrote:I'd possibly learn to enjoy baseball if all the players were totally drunk for each game. :lol:
You'd have guys falling asleep in the dugouts left and right. Baseball is way too slow and boring to participate in while drunk day in and day out.
When I was a kid they had a fundraiser at our school where people played a game of donkey baseball. Everyone was on a donkey except the batter - as soon as he hit he jumped on the donkey and headed for first. The fielders could get off their donkey to get the ball but had to hold on to the reins with one hand then get back on their donkey before throwing the ball.

I offer this as a replacement for some of those more boring games. :grin:

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Portland Blues wrote:
DaDitka wrote:
When I was a kid they had a fundraiser at our school where people played a game of donkey baseball. Everyone was on a donkey except the batter - as soon as he hit he jumped on the donkey and headed for first. The fielders could get off their donkey to get the ball but had to hold on to the reins with one hand then get back on their donkey before throwing the ball.

I offer this as a replacement for some of those more boring games. :grin:

Donkeys.....they're not just for central american bars anymore!

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Here's what every baseball game should include. Who doesn't love a freakin' Cowboy Monkey Rodeo!!?!?

*Ruutu15 - Sorry for derailing your thread. :grin:

[youtube][/youtube]