Colby Rasmus Traded to the Blue Jays

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Colby Rasmus Traded to the Blue Jays

Post by dmiles2186 »

The deal: Colby Rasmus and relievers P.J. Walters, Brian Tallet and Trever Miller to the Toronto Blue Jays in a multi-player package including starting pitcher Edwin Jackson, relievers Octavio Dotel and Marc Rzepczynski and outfielder Corey Patterson.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. I don't mind that he's gone, certainly he and TLR can't co-exist at this point. I just thought we'd get a lot more. The bullpen help will be nice, for sure. I'm conflicted on Patterson. He'll add some speed and outfield depth and I'm excited for Jon Jay who seems to have won the starting CF job fair and square.

Mozeliak is in win-now mode it seems.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Colby Rasmus Traded to the Blue Jays

Post by cardsfan04 »

I don't like it much. I thought we'd get a LOT more for him. A LOOGY, an aging Dotel, a 4th OF and a 2-3 rental starter. I don't know. We probably got about as much as we gave up. But, we didn't get an impact player. I don't like trading impact players (I know I'm using that lightly w/ Colby's track record) for a package of players. Had we gotten a B prospect in the deal (especially a SS), then I might like it a little more.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

I don't see how that is anything but a terrible deal.

Apparently they knew we were going to trade him this week and they bent us over.

Yes, he an Tony were not going to work together. Yes we needed a starter and bullpen help, but.....

He was the biggest trading chip the organization has and you broken even at best.

You now have 0 trade chips remaining in the organization while trying to figure out how you're going resign Albert and Puma.

All the talk was about how you HAD to move Colby for young everyday players and/or pitchers that you had cost control on.

FAIL...no matter how you twist this....FAIL

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I don't like the trade, but I think you're overstating how bad it is. I'm probably in the minority though.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

cardsfan04 wrote:I don't like the trade, but I think you're overstating how bad it is. I'm probably in the minority though.

It was more of a statement of the organization today, the fact that we are going to have to go really cheap in a few positions and we have neither the options in our system nor the trade pieces necessary to acquire such players.

Colby was the one commodity we did have that we could use to acquire those guys.

IMO, we are a better team today then we were a week ago because of this move, however I feel we'll be worse off the next few years because of it. Not that that is anything new for this organization (looks over at Chris Perez in Cleveland).

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

Colby missed his flight to Toronto and then goes 0-5 with two strikeouts in his first game. Looking like a good deal to me.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

cardsfan04 wrote:I don't like the trade, but I think you're overstating how bad it is. I'm probably in the minority though.
Yes you are

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I honestly do not think Colby Rasmus is going to become the second coming like so many people say he is. All these people (in the media) criticizing the Cardinals for the trade...what has Rasmus done to drive his value up? Seriously. Look at his numbers. Add that to the fact that he had a terrible situation with TLR and rival GM's knew he'd be ripe for the taking at a cheaper cost. Don't get me wrong, we didn't get back quite what we could have, but it doesn't sound like there were many options for Mo to look at. There were reports he was trying to squeeze a staff ace out of Tampa Bay but they wouldn't budge on a low ball offer.

Personally, I wasn't that high on Rasmus. He reminded me of JD Drew, minus all the stupid injuries. A lot of hype, decent numbers, but ultimately just a giant headache.

I know Rasmus is only 24, about to be 25. He could be a late bloomer, but he could also be that fringe guy that was always supposed to be something great and never panned out to be what he was projected to be (see: Gordon, Alex).

When Pujols was 25, he won his first MVP and had been an all star multiple times. I bring this up only because Pujols said Colby was a more talented player than Albert was. And in terms of tools, he's probably right. But from what I've read, it doesn't sound like Colby has the mental fortitude to drive himself to play at a Pujols-level. That holds especially true after Pujols said that Colby felt players were 'picking on him' when they'd try to give him advice.

Time will tell of course. It's stupid to grade trades the day after they happen. I think the Cardinals got some good pieces for this year, but will be interesting to see where they go in the future.

Also, if Wainwright hadn't got hurt, this trade wouldn't be needed.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

All kinds of stuff is coming out now about Rasmus and his dad.

Apparently, Rasmus has a learning disability and is as dumb as a hammer...and his dad is a meddler who is pissing off coaching staffs and screwing up his son's professional career before it even gets on track.

What a mess.
Some other team can deal with that whole situation. No thanks.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

cprice12 wrote:All kinds of stuff is coming out now about Rasmus and his dad.

Apparently, Rasmus has a learning disability and is as dumb as a hammer...and his dad is a meddler who is pissing off coaching staffs and screwing up his son's professional career before it even gets on track.

What a mess.
Some other team can deal with that whole situation. No thanks.

I know, and totally agree.

I just thought Moe could have gotten a better (long term deal), of course that is based on my view of our chances 'this year'. If you truly think we have a chance to win the series this year, then the move has looked really good thus far.

But either way, dude had to go!

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

Our chances are getting smaller every day.