US Men's Team Hires Klinsmann

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

US Men's Team Hires Klinsmann

Post by dmiles2186 »

Finally. In '06, I was pulling for him to be the hire, but it wasn't to be. Will be interesting to see what he does. I just hope at some point we will get a coach who takes us to the next level.

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news;_yl ... -klinsmann
This time, it’s not just talk: Juergen Klinsmann is the new coach of the U.S. men’s national soccer team.

U.S. Soccer moved quickly to name a replacement for fired coach Bob Bradley, announcing Klinsmann’s hiring Friday. The former standout player and coach for the German national team will be a familiar name to American fans, given that U.S. Soccer almost hired him twice—first after the 2006 World Cup and again last year before giving Bradley what turned out to be a short-lived contract extension.

Now, with the U.S. team’s progress seemingly stalled, it’s time to see what Klinsmann can do.

“We are excited to have Juergen as the head coach of our Men’s National Team,” U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati said in a statement. “He is a highly accomplished player and coach with the experience and knowledge to advance the program. Juergen has had success in many different areas of the game, and we look forward to the leadership he will provide on and off the field.”

Klinsmann will be formally introduced Monday at a press conference in New York. His debut as coach will come Aug. 10, when the U.S. team faces archrival Mexico in an exhibition match in Philadelphia. Qualifying for the next 2014 World Cup in Brazil begins next year.

“I am proud and honored to be named the head coach of the U.S. Men’s National Team,” Klinsmann said. “I would like to thank the U.S. Soccer Federation for the opportunity, and I’m excited about the challenge ahead. I am looking forward to bringing the team together for our upcoming match against Mexico and starting on the road toward qualifying for the 2014 FIFA World Cup.”

Although the U.S. federation has discussed the job with Klinsmann in the past, the coach’s desire for extensive authority over the entire U.S. program has been considered a point of contention preventing a previous deal.

Klinsmann, who turns 47 on Saturday, has a considerable World Cup pedigree.

As a player, Klinsmann scored 11 goals in three World Cups, 1990, 1994 and 1998. That ties him for sixth on the all-time scoring list, just behind Pele.

Klinsmann was a key cog for West Germany’s 1990 World Cup-winning team and the German team’s captain from 1994 to 1998. He retired in 1998 and moved to the United States shortly afterward.

U.S. Soccer fired Bradley in a surprise move Thursday.

Bradley led the U.S. team to considerable success and several big moments. But the U.S. team seemed to take a step backward this summer, and a stinging 4-2 loss to Mexico in the Gold Cup final last month—the U.S. blew a 2-0 lead— appears to have convinced U.S. Soccer officials it was time to make a change.

Last year, U.S. Soccer gave Bradley a contract extension through 2014.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Re: US Men's Team Hires Klinsmann

Post by Ruutu15 »

Always liked him as a player.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Gotta admit I don't follow nearly as much as others, but everything I'm hearing say this is a GREAT hire.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

joosforjihad
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by joosforjihad »

Liking this. I liked Bradley, but since the World Cup we have been stalling. The Gold Cup against Mexico was painful to watch. I saw it at a Mexican restaurant in Joplin and received copious amounts of shit talking (to be fair it was deserved because I was talking plenty of shit after we went up by 2 goals). I just hope they don't cut ties with Michael Bradley because the dude is a player.

Official sponsor of Andy McDonald's 401k

[joosforjihad] 8:05 pm: Will you spare my life when the robots take over?
[Dooger] 8:05 pm: I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wake me up when the world wises up and banishes soccer from existence.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

glen a richter wrote:zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wake me up when the world wises up and banishes soccer from existence.
Go back to watching your sport where the game takes upwards of 4 hours at times (soccer is a quick 2), where there's constant starts/stops between pitches, adjusting of caps, stepping out of the batter's box, back in, out, latching batting gloves, loosening, latching, spitting, signs, etc. The sport where the majority of the 'defense' stands around for the majority of the time they are in the field. Just sayin'....

:grin:

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

dmiles2186 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wake me up when the world wises up and banishes soccer from existence.
Go back to watching your sport where the game takes upwards of 4 hours at times (soccer is a quick 2), where there's constant starts/stops between pitches, adjusting of caps, stepping out of the batter's box, back in, out, latching batting gloves, loosening, latching, spitting, signs, etc. The sport where the majority of the 'defense' stands around for the majority of the time they are in the field. Just sayin'....

:grin:

While I am a soccer fan, I do understand those that are not, however......

No one that enjoys watching Baseball, NASCAR, or golf can possibly complain (unless you just like taking a nap on the couch with some sports in the background)

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I get it too. I understand why people don't like soccer and find it boring. Glen's a big baseball fan and arguments could be made on how boring it is. But it's a sport most of us were raised on, whereas soccer was not. Just a little ball bustin' intended for Glen. :grin:

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

dmiles2186 wrote:I get it too. I understand why people don't like soccer and find it boring. Glen's a big baseball fan and arguments could be made on how boring it is. But it's a sport most of us were raised on, whereas soccer was not. Just a little ball bustin' intended for Glen. :grin:

Baseball is great to listen to while mowing the yard, washing the car, BBQing, swimming, (you get the idea). But I refuse to believe that anyone under the age of 70 actually sits in front of a TV and watches an entire baseball game.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I can't anymore. I remember doing so around '04 or '05 when I was in my teens and had more time but I can't do it these days. I usually check in and out here or there. Even when the Cardinals were in the playoffs last, in '09, I didn't watch the full playoff games. That never happens for me or never used to.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Good match tonight. USA should have won, they came on STRONG one Brek Shea and Robbie Rogers came on. Ref blew two calls in the USA favor that would have give them either a penalty or a red card for Mexico. But can't complain for Klinsmann's first game. USA really was pouring it on and creating chances in the 2nd half.