NLCS: Cards v Brewers

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

NLCS: Cards v Brewers

Post by dmiles2186 »

Who is ready? 3 PM today on TBS...whoo!

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: NLCS: Cards v Brewers

Post by cardsfan04 »

I'm incredibly pumped. I hate Nyjer Morgan so much.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

WTF are they thinking putting the game up against the NFL?

Thus far, the playoff games have gotten lower ratings then preseaon football. What do they think is going to happen against regular season football.

I'm excited about the game, but I'll certainly be wearing out the remote.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I will not be wearing out the remote. There is nothing more important than Cardinal playoff baseball.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Ouch.

But I better not say that too loud or glen will get after me. :grin:

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

That Pujols fella. He can hit a little bit.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

cardsfan04 wrote:That Pujols fella. He can hit a little bit.
Agreed. Washington will love his services next season.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

A split in Milwaukee, Carpenter going in game #3...Cards are in good shape right now. Just got to win at home now.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

I would love to see a sweep at home, but realistically I guess taking a 3-2 lead back to WI won't be that bad a situation.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I'm just going to say... thank GOD that Pujols probably won't be able to do that every game.

FIVE RBI's?! :facepalm: Ouch.

If I were the Cards I would bend over this offseason and ask Pujols to tell me where to put it in order to keep him in STL. Dude is your franchise.

If the Brew Crew didn't have Braun locked up I would advocate us doing the same thing in regards to Fielder
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

AlsWoodenStick
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by AlsWoodenStick »

cardsfan04 wrote:I'm incredibly pumped. I hate Nyjer Morgan so much.
Gah, me too. He's normally out for batting practice in center, I was out there before first pitch for the game when he threw a hissy-fit against Carp and he was talking shit to the fans... Going to the game tomorrow, should be fun to see what kind of reaction he gets this time.
WaukeeBlues wrote:I'm just going to say... thank GOD that Pujols probably won't be able to do that every game.

If I were the Cards I would bend over this offseason and ask Pujols to tell me where to put it in order to keep him in STL. Dude is your franchise.

If the Brew Crew didn't have Braun locked up I would advocate us doing the same thing in regards to Fielder
I think the Cards can't afford to not have him back, so that might just be what they're gonna do. Any thoughts on where Fielder will end up if he doesn't re-sign? My money is on the Angels or Cubs, in that order.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:I'm just going to say... thank GOD that Pujols probably won't be able to do that every game.

If Milwaukee's pitchers keep throwing stuff over the plate to him, he will.
And I'd like to say, I'm looking forward to Marcum pitching again...if the series goes that far.

I'm torn on this.
I really want Pujols back...but I won't blame the Cardinals for not signing him if he insists on 8 years at 25-30 million per year.
That's just way too much money at this point in his career. The vast majority of fans feel this way as well...so the Cardinals won't suffer much in terms of fan resentment if he goes elsewhere for $30 million over 8 years.

If he were 27, I'd say ok...try to get an 8 year deal done. But he's 31. I don't want the team to be paying him $30 million a season when he is 39 years old. That's crazy.
I can't see any team giving him that. Their are only a few teams that can afford that, and the Yankees and Red Sox are set at 1B.
The Cubs? Maybe. But where would you rather play? In St. Louis for $20 million per year where you have a good chance of post season play, or in Chicago for $25 million per year where losing is the norm?

Pujols already has more money than he can spend. You'd think $20 million a year for another 6 years in St. Louis, where he can play in front of fans that worship him, and he can go to the post season frequently, would be more than enough for him.

The Cardinals will probably offer him part ownership in the team, or an executive job when he retires as part of the contract. That will help keep the money down a bit.

We'll see.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

cprice12 wrote:

If Milwaukee's pitchers keep throwing stuff over the plate to him, he will.
And I'd like to say, I'm looking forward to Marcum pitching again...if the series goes that far.

I'm torn on this.
I really want Pujols back...but I won't blame the Cardinals for not signing him if he insists on 8 years at 25-30 million per year.
That's just way too much money at this point in his career. The vast majority of fans feel this way as well...so the Cardinals won't suffer much in terms of fan resentment if he goes elsewhere for $30 million over 8 years.

Exactly.

Besides, this is the fan base that obsesses over Rex Hudler, Bo Hear, Spezio's flavor saver and now a squirrel and a tweeting turtle...

It doesn't take much to appease them.

Make the smart baseball move. 2.9 million of your 3.1 mill will show up no matter what you do and it will have little effect on your advertising income either.

It's not like he's all you have. You still have Wano, Carp, Puma, Holiday, and Freese to promote.

He's a great player, but don't screw the entire payroll structure up for years to retain him. I'd rather compete for pennants then simply cheer for Albert.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

I would make him the highest paid player in baseball. But only for 5 years and give him 2 extra years that are heavily incentive laden. IMO

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

What he wants will be a bad contract, but I think letting him go will be worse than overpaying him. We have tons of money coming off the books next year (Berkman + Lohse + Westbrook = $30 million). Then Carp takes another $10.5 mil off in 2 years. That's $40.5 mil to work with. Obviously players leaving need to be replaced, so it's not like they can just dump it at Pujols, but they only need $8.5 mil/year to get his contract to the $23 mil that Pujols apparently wants (to match Joe Mauer).

Especially w/ people like Miller and Martinez coming up in the next couple of years that will make the league minimum, I think that taking $8.5 mil of that $40.5 and leaving $32 mil to replace those guys + give raises to Yadi/Waino and probably Freese (if we stay with him instead of Cox) is realistic. I mean, it won't leave a lot of wiggle room, but it's workable IMO.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

The length of the contract that Pujols wants is what bothers me. He will be 32 at the start of the deal. If he's wanting 8 years, that puts him at 40 when the deal is up.

A-Rod signed his latest huge deal in his 30's. He has 6 years and something like $142 million (or 124 million, I could be flipping the numbers) left on that deal. If he were a free agent now, no one would pay him that money on the open market. And that's the thing with Pujols, at some point, regardless of who pays him, his output will in no way match what he's being paid.

I will say, Pujols has been a bargain since '04 when he signed a 7 year, $100 million deal. Sure, 100 million is not a 'bargain' in anything other than sports, but he was arguably the best player in the game then and he got paid under market value. So I'm sure he wants to be rewarded for his loyalty.

I think in the end, he'll be a Cardinal. But I think the Cardinals will end up paying more than they would like, and Pujols will end up with a shorter deal than he'd like.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I agree that there's a good chance he won't be worth his contract when he's 40 (although it's possible, Hank Aaron was still productive late in his career). But, let's say he wants 10 years/$230 mil as has been reported. If the Cards only want to give him 7 years, they would have to up the offer to around $30 mil per year I think. I'd take 10 years/$230 mil over 7 years/$210 mil. It's oversimplifying it, but the difference is basically adding on a 3 year/$20 mil contract to the end.

I wouldn't predict him to be worth $23 mil at the end of his contract, but it's really just a $20 mil difference over the entire deal. And, if we were to re-sign him again after a 7 year deal, it probably makes it a better deal to give him 10 years right now, because then it's not $20 million cheaper.

Also, $23 mil/year leaves $7 mil more to work with than $30 mil, which makes signing others more feasible.

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

Preview for game 3...
[youtube][/youtube]

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame