GDT: 4/14/12 > Game 2 > Blues vs Sharks > 6:30 PM

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT: 4/14/12 > Game 2 > Blues vs Sharks > 6:30 PM

Post by dmiles2186 »

SHARKS at BLUES

(San Jose leads best-of-seven series, 1-0)

TV: CNBC, TSN, RDSI, CSN-CA (HD), FS-MW (HD)

Big Story: Martin Havlat's resurgence which started down the stretch continued into Game 1 of this series, and the Sharks drew first blood with a 3-2 win in the first double overtime game of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. San Jose got the monkey off its back of not having beaten St. Louis all season, and now tries to take a commanding 2-0 lead back home to HP Pavilion.

On the Blues' side, coach Ken Hitchcock announced after Friday's optional skate he would come back with Jaroslav Halak as his starter. There was nothing wrong with Halak's performance on Thursday -- he stopped 31 of 33 shots before Havlat beat him 3:34 into the second extra period. But at the same time, with the NHL's top regular-season goalie in terms of goals-against average (1.56) and save percentage (.940) available in Brian Elliott, there was at least the option for Hitchcock to change things up.

Team Scope:

Sharks: Regular season and playoffs can be two totally different animals, and San Jose proved that by scoring as many goals against St. Louis in Game 1 as it had managed in their four prior matchups. Havlat, whose season was marred by inconsistency and injury until he put together a hot stretch after returning to the lineup on March 15, opened the scoring on a power-play goal in the second period. But after the Blues struck for a pair in the third to take the lead, the biggest goal of the night came courtesy of a guy who only had four during the regular season. Andrew Desjardins converted a feed from Tommy Wingels with 5:16 remaining, sending the game into overtime where Havlat eventually beat Halak from the high slot for the winner.

"We can talk about the goal, but the 13-14 minutes that they played for us was very valuable," coach Todd McLellan said of the Desjardins-Wingels-Daniel Winnik line. "They played hard, played smart. Desi was really good in the faceoff circle. Tommy got some power-play time and played a really important role on that line. When you get those two young guys playing together with a veteran like Daniel Winnik, you have a fourth line you can trust or third line, whatever they might be."

Blues: Once again, St. Louis will aim for the franchise's first playoff victory since April 12, 2004, also against San Jose. That win came in Game 3 with the Blues already down 2-0 in the series, a hole they're not interested in facing as the series shifts to California. In the end, their Game 1 loss came largely due to their inability to solve Sharks goalie Antti Niemi, who stopped them on 40 of 42 shots, including all 14 in the first overtime. Patrik Berglund was the only one to celebrate beating Niemi, first on a redirection of a Kevin Shattenkirk shot 54 seconds into the third to pull San Jose even, then on a power play at 7:28 to temporarily put the Sharks in front.

"We'll be fine," Berglund said in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "We played some good hockey tonight. We still have a lot of confidence. We had a lot of chances to win this game. We just have to keep going at it. There's a lot of games to go."

Who's Hot: Havlat, who finished the regular season on a four-game points streak (1-4-5), now has 29 points in his last 29 playoff games. Ryane Clowe and Dan Boyle each chipped in a pair of assists in the Sharks' opening win. Niemi has allowed two goals or fewer in seven of eight starts dating back to March 26. … Berglund's goals were his first points in his fifth career playoff game for the Blues.

Injury Report: San Jose defenseman Colin White missed Game 1 with an upper-body injury and is considered day-to-day. … Elliott, who had been nursing an upper-body injury, dressed as Halak's backup in the opener. St. Louis defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo has been battling an illness that has kept him out of the last two games.

Stat Pack: Each team went 1-for-3 on the power play Thursday. During the regular-season series, the Blues had the advantage when up a man, going 5-for-19 while the Sharks were just 1-for-15 over four games. When they were swept by the Canucks in their last playoff appearance in 2009, the Blues were just 1-for-24 in the series.

Puck Drop: Just like San Jose cleared a mental hurdle in Game 1 by breaking through against the Central Division champs, St. Louis must now secure that critical first win in the series so the specter of another sweep isn't hanging over to the club as it heads to the Bay Area.

"There's not much to say," forward Alex Steen said in the Post-Dispatch after Thursday's defeat. "It is what it is right now. Game 1. It's a long series. We knew coming in that it was going to be a long series. It's two tough teams, intense teams, fun buildings, so it's going to be a fun series."

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Re: GDT: 4/14/12 > Game 2 > Blues vs Sharks > 6:30 PM

Post by sseagle »

LETS
GO
BLUES

Also, we have a huge storm complex moving through the midwest and plains states today. Everyone please be extremely careful and have a safe place to shelter in mind wherever you are. It is going to be a historical day if things live up to the current model, and I want everyone to be safe.. eyes on the skies today for sure.

PS - fish with teeth aren't that scary (Blues in 5!)
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I think we come out strong tonight. This is as much of a must win as we've had all year. We don't want to go to San Jose down 2-0. That would trigger panic time.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

It's Game 2... presented by Ford :facepalm:
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

I think we will be stronger tonight. To expand on what theohall said at the end of the game 1 thread I do hope Hitch comes out and sticks to the philosophy that got us here. I also hope that he changes line up a bit. I just don't understand having Polak on the third defensive pairing.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Pierre Lebrun just tweeted:
If lines at morning skate hold true, Chris Stewart and Ryan Reaves could be scratches tonight for Blues; D'Agostini and Crombeen maybe in

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

dmiles2186 wrote:Pierre Lebrun just tweeted:
If lines at morning skate hold true, #25 and Ryan Reaves could be scratches tonight for Blues; D'Agostini and Crombeen maybe in
I would understand scratching #25. Reaves????? He was the one banging the bodies the most consistently throughout Game 1 until Hitch benched him in OT for no apparent reason other than he is not a "skill" player. Who is going to bang like Reaves does with him out of the lineup? Crombeen?? Puh-lease.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

I'd rather see Reaves stay in as well. Then again, I don't have a problem with BJ being out there... he's perfect for playoff hockey. I'd replace Stewart with Crombeen and be done with it.

QUICKER RELEASES mean more goals and rebounds. Duh.

Dags does have a great wrist shot... maybe he can put half a dozen on net.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

PGABluesFan
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by PGABluesFan »

Reaves was awesome last game. Wow that's a bummer. But FINALLY 25 gets benched.

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

25 is scratched for sure. Good move, took Hitch long enough. 36 hasn't done much of anything since coming back from injury, so his insertion is puzzling. Could make a case for 9 but I guess common sense weighs in 36's direction.

75 scratched too, a head scratcher. 26 inserted instead. Seems like a wash at best, a backwards move at worst.

6 scratched - had no clue why he was in game 1 in the first place. 28 in.

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

25 out. That is the right move.
75 out. That is IMHO the wrong move but I'm not paid the big bucks so I'll just cheer for the team and go from there.
' in is interesting. Unless he can play on the defensive side of the ice it's a no sale for me. He does bring an element to the O side though.

Might not be in teh flashchats tonight :shock: I've been told I have other plans, but I have mandated being able to watch the game at least on DVR delay. :cry:
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

Reavo did get a skate to the face, didn't he? Could be "day-to-day"

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

Remember last year's World Cup? Me neither, but Berglund tore it up, apparently, helping Sweden to Silver.
9 Games. 8 Goals. 2 Aces. 10 Points.

Perhaps he is clutch in April/May
1 Game. 2 Goals. 0 Aces. 2 Points.

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

Crombeen can give you support on the PK, something Reaves doesn't do. I really like Reaves, but I think Hitch feels like he can play Crombeen in more situations.

Dags doesn't not excite me at all. Unless his wrist shot is on, he doesn't bring much else. Of course, that's way more than Stewart, so we'll go with it.

I like that this appears to be a wake up call for the team. Don't show up and play a complete game (Stewart)...get benched.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

fargoblues wrote: Might not be in teh flashchats tonight :shock: I've been told I have other plans, but I have mandated being able to watch the game at least on DVR delay. :cry:
Bon Jovi back in town already?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Don't care how, don't care why, don't care when. Just win this game.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

Blues make a statement. 4-0.

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

The giveaway tonight is Thunderstix.

Please, if you're going to the game, do not use them, and do not let your section use them. What's next, a rally monkey?

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

What Curt said.

Blues 2
Sharks 1
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Even Money, but...

Blues 1 (Bergy strikes again)
Fishsticks 0
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!