Rd. 1 Playoff Series Thread: #4 Penguins vs. #5 Flyers

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Playoff GDT - 1st Round: Wednesday, 4/11/12

Post by cardsfan04 »

Crazy. Pittsburgh blows a 3-0 lead at home to lose in OT.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

cardsfan04 wrote:Crazy. Pittsburgh blows a 3-0 lead at home to lose in OT.
But... but... but... they're the Cup favorites! :lol:

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

lol, yeah. I picked them to win this round. But, I'm much less confident after tonight.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

What a game by the Flyers.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

kodos wrote:Shouldn't each series get it's own thread?
Probably.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rd. 1 Playoff Series Thread: #4 Penguins vs. #5 Flyers

Post by cprice12 »

PITTSBURGH -- As incongruous as it might have seemed, dotted around the Consol Energy Center on Wednesday night were a number of fans decked out not in Pittsburgh Penguins paraphernalia, but in bear costumes.

That's right, bear costumes.

They were dressed so in the hopes of taunting Philadelphia Flyers netminder Ilya Bryzgalov who, when asked about the danger the Pittsburgh Penguins represent in their first-round playoff series, insisted that Penguins are not to be feared and that he fears only the bear in the forest.

"I saw a few bears in the stands but they didn't come out of the woods or the forest. We were OK," Flyers forward Daniel Briere said with a broad smile in a buoyant locker room after the Flyers had improbably erased a 3-0 first-period deficit to defeat the Penguins 4-3 in overtime.

Although it was Jakub Voracek who sealed the comeback, poking home a rebound at the side of the Penguins' net just 2:23 into overtime, the fact that the bears and the Penguins were held at bay in Game 1 was a testament to Briere's gumption.

Laid low by a clean but devastating hit by Pittsburgh's Joe Vitale in the now-infamous regular-season coaches-clash game between the two teams April 1, Briere was unable to play in the Flyers' last three regular-season games.

His availability for Game 1 on Wednesday night was in doubt until earlier in the day.

Not only did he play, Briere was instrumental in keeping the never-say-die Flyers alive, scoring the first Philadelphia goal early in the second period and adding a second midway through the third period to draw the Flyers to within one.

Asked if he was 100 percent, Briere smiled.

"Yeah, I'm 100 percent. I felt really good. Overnight, I got a lot better," he said.

Whatever pain Briere might have suffered, a win like this one will no doubt be a welcome salve. Not that he is any stranger to such heroics.

The soft-spoken native of Gatineau, Quebec, has forged a reputation in recent years as one of the game's clutch postseason performers. He led the NHL in playoff scoring when the Flyers advanced to the 2010 Stanley Cup playoffs.

And while he struggled offensively this season, recording just 49 points, and only once during a 29-game span, he delivered mightily at a crucial moment once again.

"I thought that he was terrific. Everybody got going; certainly his line was good," head coach Peter Laviolette said.

"As far as Danny goes and his game, he's done it his whole career," he said. "He's done it so many times in the playoffs I don't think it should surprise anybody that he had a big night."

Not even the fact that replays showed Briere's first goal, a clean break off a turnover near the Pittsburgh blue line, was at least a foot offside could wipe the grin from his face. In fact, when it was mentioned to him that the play should have been whistled dead, that grin seemed to grow by two feet.

"In my mind I was good, so …" he said, laughing.

"I had no clue because I felt I was way behind the play," he explained. "All I was thinking, I put my head down and trying to skate back as hard as I could."

Pittsburgh head coach Dan Bylsma refused to use the fact that Briere's first of two goals was offside as an excuse for his team's blowing a three-goal lead.

"That's not why we lost the game," he said.

Instead, he said, the Flyers dictated the play in the final two periods and the Penguins got away from the puck-possession style that served them so well in the first period.

"The last two periods of hockey was too much of back-and-forth and not really managing the puck in the neutral zone the way we need to to play our game," Bylsma said. "We allowed them to play on the aggressive side of the game and the forecheck."

If this kind of spring performance has become Briere's trademark, this type of game has also become something of a repeating cycle for the Flyers themselves.

The win marked the 11th comeback from a deficit of two or more goals in games in which the Flyers collected at least one point this season. Counting Wednesday's game, the Flyers have now given up the first goal 47 times but managed to collect wins in 21 of those games, tops in the league.

"It's pretty amazing. Sitting here after the first period, all we were saying is 'We've done it all year, let's start with a goal and you never know what can happen.' But to make it happen in a hostile environment is a special feeling. You can't dwell on that, it's one game, you've got to move on, but I think for a few minutes it's OK to appreciate what we just did," Briere said.

"At the same time, we have to find a way to rectify that," he added. "This is the playoffs -- we're not going to come back from two or three goals every single game, so we'll take it tonight, but let's get better, let's be better at weathering the storm in Game No. 2 in the first period."

It's only one game, but the story arc of this one suggests a dramatic swing in emotions. The Penguins dominated the first period, scoring with 36.9 seconds left to take a 3-0 lead and prompt speculation that Laviolette might pull Bryzgalov.

Instead, Bryzgalov was solid the rest of the way and ended a personal five-game playoff losing streak.

And so instead of the bears celebrating in the aisles in Pittsburgh, the more experienced Penguins -- a team favored by many to the win the Cup -- will be forced to prove all of that experience has value and even the series Friday night.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Rd. 1 Playoff Series Thread: #4 Penguins vs. #5 Flyers

Post by DaDitka »

I did pick the Pens, but it's going to be extremely tough to overcome blowing that 3 goal lead.

Not only is it deflating, but for the rest of the series the Pens are never going to feel safe with any lead...they will be wondering in the back of their minds "how are we going to blow it this time" and on the other side the Flyers are never going to feel they are out of a game.

This was a very big loose for the Pens IMO

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

I think the Flyers are going to be tough

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

[youtube][/youtube]

Explain how this was not off-sides. :)
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

theohall wrote:[youtube][/youtube]

Explain how this was not off-sides. :)
It was offsides. The linesman was not in position to make the call. There was a blown icing call earlier in the game that went in Pittsburgh's favor. This blown call just happened to lead to a goal.

Either way, how money in Briere in the playoffs? 98 points in 98 career playoff games! Sick.
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

What a game 2. Flyers not folding and keep coming back. 5-5 early in the third.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Every time I look up I see a new goal being scored.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Hmm, thought the penguins already won the cup?
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Glad I picked the Pens in 7! :oops:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I hope the Flyers can dominate the Rags the same way they're handling Pittsburgh so far, because up to now I figured the only team in the east that could legitimately beat the (Franking) rangers were the Penguins and that's looking less and less likely to be a possibility. Good god the Pens defense is awful.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Lots of pens fans lining up on bridges tonight ;)
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

The Pens and especially the Flyers remind me of how the Blues used to be back in the early 2000's. Terrific offense, but terrible, terrible goaltending and defense. I'd have to say that both Phillie and the Pens have the worst goaltenders in the playoffs currently. I'd give Phillie the upper hand in this series; while the Pens do have Malkin and Crosby, the Flyers seem to have slightly more offensive depth throughout their lines. Flyers will win this won but I don't see them advancing very far with Bryzgalov in net, but then again, they have an amazing ability to bounce back from behind and score goals so that might save them.
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

xbleed83bluex wrote:The Pens and especially the Flyers remind me of how the Blues used to be back in theearly 2000's. Terrific offense, but terrible, terrible goaltending and defense.
Are you toking PCP? :lol:
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

I think I picked the Flyers in 6... but it may be over in 4 at this point!
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock