Rd. 1 Playoff Series Thread: #4 Penguins vs. #5 Flyers

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Rd. 1 Playoff Series Thread: #4 Penguins vs. #5 Flyers

Post by WaukeeBlues »

If you guys aren't watching the Penguins Flyers game right now you really should be.

This $hit is crazy.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

WaukeeBlues wrote:If you guys aren't watching the Penguins Flyers game right now you really should be.

This $hit is crazy.
How is it different from the first two other than the Penguins did not start with a 3-1 first period lead?

The Flyers have dominated this series 5 and 1/2 of the 8 periods played, thus far. It's actually kind of boring knowing the Flyers are going to win, regardless of what the Penguins attempt to do.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I think it's pretty fair to say the Penguins are finished. Now what happens if the Flyers run into a team that can actually play defense? Pittsburgh has had a lot of holes exposed in this series: shit defense, shit goaltending, a complete inability to adjust and extremely poor coaching. Philly will not have such offensive luck against teams like Boston and NY.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

glen a richter wrote:I think it's pretty fair to say the Penguins are finished. Now what happens if the Flyers run into a team that can actually play defense? Pittsburgh has had a lot of holes exposed in this series: shit defense, shit goaltending, a complete inability to adjust and extremely poor coaching. Philly will not have such offensive luck against teams like Boston and NY.
Considering the Flyers went 1-7-2 against those two teams in the regular season, it is a safe bet they won't beat either of them in the playoffs. Meawhile, they were 4-2 vs the Pens with one being a shootout win and one of the two losses being the final game of the season when the Flyers actually rested several of their starting forwards.

From the NHL recap on the Pens-Flyers last game of the season
First up, the Flyers, who treated the meaningless regular-season finale as little more than an exhibition. Claude Giroux sat out as a precaution, as did No. 1 goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

I dislike the Pens, but I really don't like Hartnell either. These announcers are freaking drama queens. "OMG, he pulled his hair!"

Adams pulled Hartnell's hair for like 3 seconds and it looked accidental. He let go of it right away.

And screw you, Hartnell. You look like a freaking woman, you pansy... the ugliest woman alive. Cut your hair, douche.

Geez... 8-4 now. Johnson, YOU SUCK. :grin:
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

goon attack wrote:I dislike the Pens, but I really don't like Hartnell either. These announcers are freaking drama queens. "OMG, he pulled his hair!"

Adams pulled Hartnell's hair for like 3 seconds and it looked accidental. He let go of it right away.

And screw you, Hartnell. You look like a freaking woman, you pansy... the ugliest woman alive. Cut your hair, douche.

Geez... 8-4 now. Johnson, YOU SUCK. :grin:
Why aren't you bitching about the pussy Penguins and Crosby?

Crosby grabs Hartnell drags him away and has hold of him, then Adams starts throwing punches at Hartnell - who had done nothing - because Crosby grabbed him???? That's pussy shit from the Penguins "protecting" their Cindy when he started shit on his own. Let that pansy Crosby fight his own battles when he starts them.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

We'd do the exact same thing for AMac. Just sayin. Crosby will fight. I appreciate the fact that he's a little chippy. It starts brawls like what we saw today. That's my kind of hockey! 8)
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

goon attack wrote:I dislike the Pens, but I really don't like Hartnell either. These announcers are freaking drama queens. "OMG, he pulled his hair!"
Just from reading this, I'm going to surmise that Pierre McGuire was betwixt the benches today?

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Kreegz2 »

At the end during the last major brawl, when literally every other person on the ice was locked up with someone , Crosby half-heartedly clutches giroux and is content with the referee being between them. That is not the way a captain should be acting. If I were a coach and I saw my captain not fighting while literally every single one of my other players on the ice was, he would be stripped of his captaincy by the next shift.

I would have given anything to have seen Pronger dressed for that game.
2015-2016 LGB sponsor of Robert Bortuzzo
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

Kreegz2 wrote:At the end during the last major brawl, when literally every other person on the ice was locked up with someone , Crosby half-heartedly clutches giroux and is content with the referee being between them. That is not the way a captain should be acting. If I were a coach and I saw my captain not fighting while literally every single one of my other players on the ice was, he would be stripped of his captaincy by the next shift.

I would have given anything to have seen Pronger dressed for that game.
He's too much of a pussy. One bunch in head and he might be a vegetable for life. lol
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

glen a richter wrote:I think it's pretty fair to say the Penguins are finished. Now what happens if the Flyers run into a team that can actually play defense? Pittsburgh has had a lot of holes exposed in this series: shit defense, shit goaltending, a complete inability to adjust and extremely poor coaching. Philly will not have such offensive luck against teams like Boston and NY.
It's not just the defense, I've never seen Marc Andre-Fluery play this bad. His confidence is toast and did you see that first goal? Reaches for it with his glove and squirts in behind him.... I mean you're basically cursed when those are going in against you :?

I just think it's hilarious that the Vegas cup-winner favorite could easily be swept out of the first round. That's why it's called gambling folks! haha

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

The pens are a bunch of boys trying to play a man's game. They're just bad at it.

Uppercuts while a linesman is there
Punching people on the ground
Cross checks to the neck
Pulling hair

Crosby should be suspended for pushing giroux's glove alone - one of the stupidest, most unsportsmanlike actions I've ever seen.

Then Bylsma has the nerve to act like the flyers started it and the officiating is why it got out of hand. Please.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

drwoland wrote:The pens are a bunch of boys trying to play a man's game. They're just bad at it.

Uppercuts while a linesman is there
Punching people on the ground
Cross checks to the neck
Pulling hair

Crosby should be suspended for pushing giroux's glove alone - one of the stupidest, most unsportsmanlike actions I've ever seen.

Then Bylsma has the nerve to act like the flyers started it and the officiating is why it got out of hand. Please.
Not that I had a ton of it to begin with but I lost a lot of respect for Crosby when I saw that. Utterly classless and as you said, completely unsportsmanlike. At least when he was smacking at Bryz's glove he was trying to get to the puck or shove it lose. That thing with Voracek was just BS and I would be pissed if I was Bylsma.

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

That's the problem with this damn cap. With expensive superstars like Malkin, Neal, and Crosby, there's not much spending money for a top notch back end. Sometimes I wonder if having 2 superstars on a team is more of a curse than a blessing.
Last edited by xbleed83bluex on Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

TheoSqua
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by TheoSqua »

What I was really surprised by was how terrible the Penguins played defense. Fluery was sucking and let in a few soft ones, but giving up 20 goals in 3 games is horrific. I watched some highlights of game 3 and the position/shots that Pittsburgh was giving up was crazy. A big reason for Halak/Elliott's success is they get to face a lot of easy saves, and the Blues defense limits quality shots a lot. Pittsburgh gave up way too many easy shots for a talented Philly team.

Before this year I thought the Blues needed a point-per-game forward to anchor the offense. After seeing the lazy defensive play of Malkin/Crosby and the Penguins inability to play even basic defense i'm starting to think the deep defense oriented teams like St. Louis, Nashville, and Phoenix is the way to go.
Official LGB Sponser of 10 year old signatures:

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

For the vast majority of the history of the NHL, defense and goaltending have won championships. Yes, there was an era where ridiculous offensive teams were winning (the Oilers), but for the most part the better defensive teams tend to win.

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Kreegz2 »

4 games for Asham, and only 1 game for Neal.

What a joke. Shaw suspended 3 games for Smith flopping the greatest flop ever flopped and taking way too long to play the puck behind the net, plus not giving any player any room to pass, while Weber only gets fined one shifts worth of his pay for trying to put a players head through the glass, And now Neal gets suspended for 1 game for throwing a jumping blindside late hit targetting the head, and then turning around and doing it again 45 seconds later.

What a (Franking) joke. Time to start letting the players police themselves again. The NHL has been trying to do it for two decades and have failed miserably, and the on-ice product has suffered because of it.
2015-2016 LGB sponsor of Robert Bortuzzo
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Kreegz2 wrote:Time to start letting the players police themselves again.
Which is exactly what the Blues did at the end of Game 2 vs the Sharks. Did anyone notice Sharks players attempting to take liberties by intentionally targeting the heads of Blues players in Game 3? I did not. When Moore winds up with a broken nose from Sobotka - it was not a sucker puch - both players were facing each other and dropped the gloves at the same time. Braun winds up beaten into submission by Polak. That's two of their "tough" guys getting their asses handed to them. Result - the Sharks aren't so free with the elbows and head targeting hits.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

theohall wrote:
Kreegz2 wrote:Time to start letting the players police themselves again.
Which is exactly what the Blues did at the end of Game 2 vs the Sharks. Did anyone notice Sharks players attempting to take liberties by intentionally targeting the heads of Blues players in Game 3? I did not. When Moore winds up with a broken nose from Sobotka - it was not a sucker puch - both players were facing each other and dropped the gloves at the same time. Braun winds up beaten into submission by Polak. That's two of their "tough" guys getting their asses handed to them. Result - the Sharks aren't so free with the elbows and head targeting hits.
This. Broken noses are a better disincentive than suspensions or penalties.

Toss the instigator rule and let's play hockey.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Both of these teams might as well be playing without a goalie. Both of them have sucked tremendously in this series.