GDT: 4/16/12 > Game 3 > Blues @ Sharks > 9:00 PM

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Re: GDT: 4/16/12 > Game 3 > Blues @ Sharks > 9:00 PM

Post by Nyghtewynd »

YES! 4-1!

Nothing left to do but beat some faces in, boys. End this now.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

CincyBlue
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CincyBlue »

Portland Blues wrote:Seems like we forgot about playing offense the last 7 or 8 minutes of the 2nd. I'd feel much more comfortable if we scored 4 or 5. :grin:
Well, up to 4 now. Just need another power play.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

CincyBlue wrote:
Portland Blues wrote:Seems like we forgot about playing offense the last 7 or 8 minutes of the 2nd. I'd feel much more comfortable if we scored 4 or 5. :grin:
Well, up to 4 now. Just need another power play.
Be nice to get a shorty on this penalty kill.

:goblues:

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

theohall wrote:
IMO, that was more Sharks desperation and them activating their D forcing the Blues to play more defensive. That will continue in the 3rd. If it does, expect the Blues to get some odd man breaks.
I'm still scarred by all those years of going into a defensive shell at about the 3:00 minute mark of the 2nd period with a one goal lead. :lol:

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

DAMN IT DON'T LET THEM TIE! WIN THIS!!
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Whoa, nellie. WTF happened there at the end? Let's hope those last 2 goals don't give the Sharks a boost going into the next game.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

THAT was scary. Not as scary as watching Chris Stewart. Let us pray:

Hitch, you give our team life
You give them Strength
You give us fans hope
So to thee we pray
Please
Bench Chris Stewart

Gooooooo Blues (Amen is an acceptable substitute too.)
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

Wonder what McLellan is going to whine about tonight???
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

CincyBlue
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CincyBlue »

Whew! :letsgoblues:

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

How's the saying go? A win's a win? Man, I could've done without the last second heart attack but we take the win we deserved.

And if the special teams stays anywhere close to where it is for both teams, we take this series in 5. Just got a bit sloppy there at the end.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

gaijin wrote:Whoa, nellie. WTF happened there at the end? Let's hope those last 2 goals don't give the Sharks a boost going into the next game.
The Blues just created false hope for the Sharks. :)

Consider the Blues PP is AWESOME!!! in the playoffs and the Sharks PK has been one of the worst in the NHL for what? 6 weeks now?? As long as the Blues play in control - as they did most of tonight - they can continue taking advantage of the Sharks mistakes. 4-on-4 goal - ok.... it happens. But the last Sharks goal??? They were very fortunate in that they caught the Blues with a tired line on the ice as they added a guy from the bench and the penalty box at the same time. Even then, Oshie was inches from clearing the puck to prevent that 6-on-5 goal. The Sharks won't always get those inches - and they did not get those alot tonight due to the Blues being solid defensively - except when #25 was on the ice. I am trying to recall the last time I saw a 3rd line forward play so little in an entire game. Hitch clearly understood #25 did not get the message if ice time is any indication. #25 only had 8:46 of total ice time. In the 3rd period, he only got 46 seconds. I think Hitch will not play him again in the playoffs.

Arnott had 10:07 with the benefit of PP time - for a reason.
Langenbrunner had 10:30
Sobotka had 12:05 due to PK time.
Yes, no Blues player had less ice time than #25. And he did not deserve the little ice time he received.

The kicker - both of #25's linemates played 2 minutes longer than #25. Hitch won't use him on the PP anymore. Can't use him on the PK because he does not backcheck. The argument for not playing Reaves was he is not a PP/PK guy. So what is the excuse for continuing to play the floater, #25?? I would say put either Reaves or Schwartz back in the lineup and see what happens. At least Schwartz understands what to do offensively in terms of dump and positioning. He was also doing the right things defensively in his limited time. Reaves offers the physical aspect and effort #25 is supposed to bring, but has not shown for an entire season and two playoff games. Sit #25 for Reaves or Schwartz and I will be happy.

Last comment - is there anyway to combine the effort, physicality and style of Sobotka into the body of #25? A guy like that would be one of the best power forwards in the league.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

:plusplus: Love Sobotka.

Chippy, not a bad set of hands, rarely makes bad decisions with the puck. Quality guy that every team needs on their 3rd and 4th lines in today's NHL. Knows his role and fills it beautifully.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

Good game as the Blues are finding their stride. I didn't like the last 5 minutes at all. A little too much coasting. A better team would've gotten to the Blues sooner. Hopefully the team can learn how to finish.

So is it time to try Schwartz? Or do you put Reaves in the Stewart spot? I was really hoping Stewart would find his game because the Blues could use his supplemental scoring (of last year). Oh well, I'm sure Hitch knows what he's doing.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

I would be interested in seeing a Sobotka-Arnott-Reaves line while leaving the Langenbrunner-Nichol-Crombeen line together. It creates two physical lines and everyone on both lines works. That would not be easy to deal with defensively for an opponent. Then the Blues top two lines get to work against a tired opponent.

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

theohall wrote:I would be interested in seeing a Sobotka-Arnott-Reaves line while leaving the Langenbrunner-Nichol-Crombeen line together. It creates two physical lines and everyone on both lines works. That would not be easy to deal with defensively for an opponent. Then the Blues top two lines get to work against a tired opponent.
Not bad. I still think Hitch wants that 3rd line to supplement some scoring. Which is why he tried Dags and then Stewart (again). Both of those just aren't able to turn it up a notch and provide a threat.

Stewart got the least amount of icetime out of the whole roster tonight (8:46). I really wonder if Hitch might give Schwartz a try. If not, you lines above makes sense because Hitch has a lot of trust in 17, 15, 44, and 12.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

northwest dave wrote:
theohall wrote:I would be interested in seeing a Sobotka-Arnott-Reaves line while leaving the Langenbrunner-Nichol-Crombeen line together. It creates two physical lines and everyone on both lines works. That would not be easy to deal with defensively for an opponent. Then the Blues top two lines get to work against a tired opponent.
Not bad. I still think Hitch wants that 3rd line to supplement some scoring. Which is why he tried Dags and then Stewart (again). Both of those just aren't able to turn it up a notch and provide a threat.

Stewart got the least amount of icetime out of the whole roster tonight (8:46). I really wonder if Hitch might give Schwartz a try. If not, you lines above makes sense because Hitch has a lot of trust in 17, 15, 44, and 12.
It also works for PK/PP time because Nichol could move up if Arnott is spending too much time on the PP or Reaves could move down if Langenbrunner is spending too much time on the PK. That can't happen with #25, because he is a straight up liability.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

franking west coast games! From the looks of what I'm reading, it appears the ongoing check of 25's skates for toe picks need to continue. Bench him the rest of the way.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Where the (Frank) has this PP been all season? And that is a fair question because we aren't doing this with fancy passes...we're doing it by crashing the net and planing azzes (Bergie) in the crease. This tells me that this success is sustainable (obviously not at this pace) but since it's easy to see what is different..it's easier to believe this success can be sustained.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

At least it was worth staying up for. Thursday's game starts even later.

Thought the Blues were the better team for long stretches of the game. Not to say that San Jose didn't have their moments, because they did. But the Blues 'weathered the storm' as someone in flashchat put it, Elliott was a calming presence, and they built the 3 goal lead that they ended up needing.

The two late goals kind of rained on the parade and in a post game quote, Carlo said none of the players were too happy with that, which is a good sign. But I'm not worried about them all that much. I was hopeful for a split in San Jose. We got one. Now I'm going to get greedy and hope we get the 2nd.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

The only thing that concerns me is that we have had late game breakdowns with a lead twice now in three games. I'm not panicked about it, but I'd like to see some domination at the end of the game.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen