GDT: 4/16/12 > Game 3 > Blues @ Sharks > 9:00 PM

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: GDT: 4/16/12 > Game 3 > Blues @ Sharks > 9:00 PM

Post by theohall »

DaDitka wrote:Where the (Frank) has this PP been all season? And that is a fair question because we aren't doing this with fancy passes...we're doing it by crashing the net and planing azzes (Bergie) in the crease. This tells me that this success is sustainable (obviously not at this pace) but since it's easy to see what is different..it's easier to believe this success can be sustained.
The Blues PP resurgence started in March. Hitchcock specifically mentioned this in the post-game presser saying the PP has been very good for about 40 days now. Even when the Blues were blowing games at the end of the season, the PP was working.

What they changed. The Blues used to set their points with one right-handed and one left-handed shooter. Now, one unit has two left-handed shots at the points and the other has two right-handed shots at the points. Hitch explained this as turning the power play into a shooting power play, instead of a passing power play trying to set up one individual. Last night was incredibly awesome.

The TSN dudes were talking about Berglund. According to them, Hitch said Berglund finally relaxed once the playoffs started and is just playing the game. During the regular season, which we have heard before, Berglund would get down, because he felt he was not performing up to expectations. Playoffs = a new season, so he just forgot about the regular season and is proving his worth big time, right now. He is hitting people, can't get moved from in front of the Sharks net when he is the presence in front, is back-checking very well. He is basically doing the things one would expect from a power forward.

The TSN guys also described the center matchups which are creating problems for the Sharks - Backes, Berglund and Arnott are all 6'3 or taller and all weigh 225 or more. Most teams don't have three big skilled centers that also hit. Thus, no matter what the Sharks do with their final change, the Blues are likely going to have someone big enough to deal with whichever line the Sharks ice. San Jose tried several times to put the Thornton line up against the Blues 4th line with Nichol at center, but that did not work out to well for them, so they switched to matching the Backes line again.

It's a shame the Blues can't get out of #25 the effort the rest of the team puts forth.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

cardsfan04 wrote:The only thing that concerns me is that we have had late game breakdowns with a lead twice now in three games. I'm not panicked about it, but I'd like to see some domination at the end of the game.
Both of the late goals were the result of tired Blues players trying to stick-handle out of the zone, instead of just clearing the puck. That is easily corrected.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

theohall wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:The only thing that concerns me is that we have had late game breakdowns with a lead twice now in three games. I'm not panicked about it, but I'd like to see some domination at the end of the game.
Both of the late goals were the result of tired Blues players trying to stick-handle out of the zone, instead of just clearing the puck. That is easily corrected.
Yeah, that's why I'm not real worried. But, I'd still like it to stop.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Stewart only had 8:46 of ice time?!

There was a large debate about Stewie in flashchat (okay, mostly Reel, Fargo and myself). A player that talented should get more than 8:46 of ice time in Game 3 of the playoffs. He's eye-crossingly frustrating. I don't even know if eye-crossingly is a word but I don't care. Friggin' hit somebody. Friggin' go to the front of the net. Friggin' show up to play when you say things like this:
"The message was sent and I think it was received loud and clear. I'm going to go out there and work my (tail) off. You see the last game, those are the games you dream about. The end of the game, you win and there's line brawls and stuff like that. That's stuff you want to be a part of. I'm obviously disappointed I didn't get to experience that, but like I said, that's the good thing about this game, you get a chance to redeem yourself. What have you done for me lately? I'm going to go out there and try."
That equals 8:46 of ice time?

I'm not saying he's the only one who could play better, because he's not. He's just been the one who hasn't shown up for long stretches all season. Apparently he's inherited Brad Boyes syndrome.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Is it possible that Stewart is just a total dunce who can't follow a system or maintain focus? I saw him hustling on the backcheck one time. Maybe he did other things, but I didn't notice them.

He should be hitting and hustling. He's doing neither. Bench his pansy ass. :x

I'd much rather see Reaves, Porter, or Schwartz in there.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

He seemed to play harder than he has in the first period, except for the giveaway. Then second period came and back to his normal self, I didn't even see him in the 3rd figured he was benching it.

Porter then Schwartz would be my choice.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

APOD wrote:I didn't even see him in the 3rd figured he was benching it.
That's because he only played 46 seconds in the 3rd period. He basically got benched for not working in the 2nd period and continuing to loaf when given one more chance in the 3rd. Yes, someone else picked up his slack on the Arnott/Sobotka line.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

theohall wrote:
DaDitka wrote:Where the (Frank) has this PP been all season? And that is a fair question because we aren't doing this with fancy passes...we're doing it by crashing the net and planing azzes (Bergie) in the crease. This tells me that this success is sustainable (obviously not at this pace) but since it's easy to see what is different..it's easier to believe this success can be sustained.
The Blues PP resurgence started in March. Hitchcock specifically mentioned this in the post-game presser saying the PP has been very good for about 40 days now. Even when the Blues were blowing games at the end of the season, the PP was working.

What they changed. The Blues used to set their points with one right-handed and one left-handed shooter. Now, one unit has two left-handed shots at the points and the other has two right-handed shots at the points. Hitch explained this as turning the power play into a shooting power play, instead of a passing power play trying to set up one individual. Last night was incredibly awesome.
Yeah, I understand all that......just to me it all ways looked like we had 5 guys on the 'outside' and now we have a lot more bodies in the 'hard/dirty' areas. It's a hell of a lot easier to score from 6 feet then 26 feet.

Bergie commented that it's nice to see the bounces going our way....I think it's nice to see that we actually have bodies/sticks in place to take advantage of said bounces.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

goon attack wrote:Is it possible that Stewart is just a total dunce who can't follow a system or maintain focus? I saw him hustling on the backcheck one time. Maybe he did other things, but I didn't notice them.

He should be hitting and hustling. He's doing neither. Bench his pansy ass. :x

I'd much rather see Reaves, Porter, or Schwartz in there.
I agree goon. Stewart just doesn't get it. He needs to play a simple north-south game. I just don't think his 'style' works in the Hitchcock system. He doesn't seem to have that awareness.

As far as the PP. AMac adds so much to the team and IMO has really made that PP dynamic.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

I noticed Stewart a few times, but he never did anything. I saw him hustling back into the zone a couple times, but other than that...nothing.

Stewart's ice time was cut drastically in the 3rd period....he had 46 seconds?
Wow. I think that is the writing on the wall.

He has to be a game #4 scratch.

What a monumental disappointment after his big talking quote..."...I'll show 'em."
Yeah...you showed us. :roll:
I think we've all seen what we need to see.

Stewart is simply incapable of contributing to this team. I'm done with him.

Play Porter or Reaves.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Stewart's first 2 shifts or so looked really good, and then he started getting sloppy and creating turnovers.

I don't know what the heck his problem is, but the dude fell of a cliff this year.
Last edited by kodos on Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

kodos wrote:Stewart's first 2 shifts or so looked really good, and then he started getting sloppy and creating turnovers.

I don't know what the heck his problem is, but the dude fell of a cliff this year.
I think Colorado would say #25 started falling off that cliff before the trade, got back on top of it after the trade, and has decided to jump off anyway.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Me thinks Colorado knew exactly what they were doing when they traded him.

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

I still think we came out better with that trade though, Shattenkirk has been a huge addition to this team.
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

APOD wrote:I still think we came out better with that trade though, Shattenkirk has been a huge addition to this team.

Agreed, and I think Stewart has shown a lot more effort in the second half of the year. He just doesn't fit our system. He never seems to know what do do when. So he's either carelessly running around or he's paralyzed by indecision.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

DaDitka wrote:
APOD wrote:I still think we came out better with that trade though, Shattenkirk has been a huge addition to this team.

Agreed, and I think Stewart has shown a lot more effort in the second half of the year. He just doesn't fit our system. He never seems to know what do do when. So he's either carelessly running around or he's paralyzed by indecision.
But after being in the system (practically) all year, you'd think something would have caught on by now. It has for the other members of the team. Hard to believe it's the same guy that chipped in so many goals in so few games when he arrived at the end of last year.

What's his contract status? I doubt we could get much for him during the offseason.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

DaDitka wrote:

How hard is it to understand?
1) Get the puck deep (as in don't dipsy doodle with three opponents near you at their blueline)
2) Chase the puck down (sometimes happens from #25)
3) Punish any opponent attempting to play the puck (is not happening from #25)
4) Win the puck battle or get their first and keep the puck (almost never happens with #25)
5) Profit!!!

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Let's trade him for Simmonds or Lucic. 8)
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

He would probably thrive on a team like Pittsburgh with a lot of offense, super talented linemates and a less rigid structure.

Pittsburgh will also probably be looking to make some deals this offseason. Just a thought.

He's probably not worth much, but we could get something for him.

I'd think our top need is to get a partner for Pietrangelo that's not Colaiacovo or Huskins. Or turn 2 or 3 depth guys into a top line guy.

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

Chris Stewart for Matt Cooke?