Rd. 1 Playoff Series Thread: #2 Bruins vs. #7 Capitals

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rd. 1 Playoff Series Thread: #2 Bruins vs. #7 Capitals

Post by cprice12 »

WILMINGTON, Mass. (AP) At one end of the ice, playoff MVP Tim Thomas will be in goal for the defending champion Boston Bruins. At the other end, Braden Holtby will make his NHL playoff debut in the Washington Capitals' net.
That should give Boston a big advantage in Thursday night's playoff opener.
It also could be a trap if the Bruins are overconfident.
''Timmy's a great goalie,'' Boston forward Chris Kelly said Wednesday, ''but the minute you start thinking you have advantages over teams, I think you're setting yourself up for trouble. ... We need to be at our best in order to have success, regardless of who they have.''
The Bruins are seeded second in the Eastern Conference but were just 1-2-1 against the seventh-seeded Capitals this season. Holtby, a veteran of just 21 NHL games, played in none of those four. But he almost certainly will start Thursday night because of injuries to Tomas Vokoun (groin) and Michal Neuvirth (left leg). Vokoun didn't even make the trip to Boston.
The Bruins say they must remain patient and play their game but want to test Holtby early.
''We know he doesn't have a wealth of experience,'' center David Krejci said. ''We're going to put lots of pucks on him and try to make him nervous.''
It may not work.
"He's a calm guy,'' Washington defenseman Karl Alzner said. ''We just tell him that it's the same game, same as the regular season, and not to worry about it.''
Holtby, a fourth-round draft choice by the Capitals in 2008, started five of their last 10 games. He played in seven games this season, going 4-2-1 with a 2.48 goals against average. He made his NHL debut last season, playing 14 games with a 1.79 goals against average.
So he has reason to be confident.
''I'm just ready to go out there and do what I can to be successful,'' Holtby said. ''I'm not here just to wear a jersey. This is my goal to show that I can win games here, especially in the playoffs. And it's unfortunate with the injuries that we've had.''
That confidence extends to his teammates.
''I don't think he's too scared of anybody,'' left wing Jason Chimera said. ''He can handle his own.''
Holtby is just 21 years old. Thomas turns 38 on Sunday.
But the Bruins goalie hasn't changed much from last season when he had a 2.00 goals-against average and played in all 25 postseason games. He posted a 2.36 clip this season and started 55 games, the same number as last season.
''I don't think he's changed at all,'' Bruins coach Claude Julien said. ''He's a guy who still continues to thrive on challenges and always takes the negatives and turns it into a positive, and loves to prove people wrong. So, he hasn't changed.''
Nor have the Bruins. Their approach to the postseason after winning the Stanley Cup is the same.
''I know we're the defending champs,'' Kelly said, ''but ... this this is a new year and one thing I've learned is people quickly forget what's happened in the past. By no means do we think we're the heavy favorites.''
Especially with defenseman Mike Green and first-line center Nicklas Backstrom back with the Capitals. Green played in just 31 games while dealing with ankle and groin injuries and abdominal surgery. Backstrom, who had 14 goals in 42 games, returned on March 31 after a concussion sidelined him for nearly three months.
But a concussion will keep Bruins right wing Nathan Horton out of the playoffs. He's missed the last 36 games after scoring 17 goals in the first 46, and general manager Peter Chiarelli announced Wednesday that his season was over.
''He'd be improving and then he'd have some symptoms,'' Chiarelli said. ''They weren't huge symptoms but they would always come up at some point after three, four, five, six days of positive stuff. ... Sometimes it would just be a fogginess, sometimes he wouldn't feel right and sometimes there'd be a big headache.''
The Bruins are used to playing without Horton, although they were 31-12-3 when he played and 18-17-1 when he didn't. But they finished the season on a 9-3 run.
''You're going against the best from last year,'' Capitals coach Dale Hunter said. ''So it's definitely a challenge.''
The Bruins hope their playoff experience can help.
''There was no better feeling than ending the season the way that we did last year. So you want to do whatever you can to relive that moment,'' left wing Milan Lucic said. ''What we learned the most is we never looked too far ahead of what we had to do and that's our mindset right now.
''All our focus is focused on Game 1 and Game 1 only.''
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Rd. 1 Playoff Series Thread: #2 Bruins vs. #7 Capitals

Post by goon attack »

Caps draw first blood in Game 2. 1-0 after 2. Brawlage at the 20:00 mark! :okman:
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Moar overtime = moar free hawkeys!
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

Holy crap, the capitals just had a dominant powerplay in game 4 and failed to convert.. gonna regret that.

Holtby also let in the softest goal ever. Gaping 5-hole.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

I think the Caps have turned the corner. I think they are going to win this series.

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Jesus, Thomas just made a world class save. :aaaa:

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

I just can't get excited for the Eastern Conference series, with the exception for the Flyers/Penguins.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

That was a nutty final minute, can't believe Washington held on

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

drwoland wrote:That was a nutty final minute, can't believe Washington held on
The person running the clock really knows what they are doing...

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

dmiles2186 wrote:
drwoland wrote:That was a nutty final minute, can't believe Washington held on
The person running the clock really knows what they are doing...
No kidding...it must have been four seconds late starting. Those 9 seconds turned into 13. If they had scored right at the end...that would have been some controversy there.
LA scored and was awarded the goal even though the clock malfunctioned and gave them a few more seconds near the end of regulation. The NHL has set a precedent that that goal would have counted.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

Burnside's blog on espn had a statement from the war room in toronto stating that the clock was 5.4 seconds off, and any goal scored with less than 5.4 seconds on the clock would have been disallowed from the war room.

Sounds like they are keeping a good eye on the games and trying to prevent the problem that happened in LA from repeating.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Just finished watching this condensed games of this whole series.

Both goalies gave up softies throughout Game 3. The rest of the series, both goalies have been very good. Holtby is probably the best goalie the Caps have had for the playoffs in years and he is only playing because of injuries. Ovechkin is hitting like mad. Boston plays on the borderline of being dirty. Every time their are scrums after saves, they try to take shots at Caps players heads - particularly Backstrom.

This series is a toss-up right now. Really thought the Caps would be as bad as they have always been in the playoffs, but Dale Hunter has them actually playing defense. He has also adjusted their power play to force Boston not to just shadow Ovechkin, which is how other teams have beaten the Caps in the playoffs.

This one could easily go 7.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Oh man- Thomas wants that one back. That pretty much gives the Caps a 3-2 series lead.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Have to laugh at Marchand taking a really stupid dive, since it appropriately did not draw a call, which allowed Chimera, who he was trying to draw the call against, to score a goal.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

And back to Boston for game 7 on Wednesday.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

sseagle wrote:And back to Boston for game 7 on Wednesday.
I have zero confidence in Washington winning game 7.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Well, curt, they're going into OT, so it's now officially a crapshoot who wins.

I am rooting for the Capitals. Their fans have suffered enough. Of course they'll probably lose, but I can hope...

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Bruins Eliminated...

on to tomorrow night!

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Don't really care who won this series, except that I picked Boston. :doh:

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

not a single person picked WAS in 7. Very few people picked WAS at all. I picked them in 5. I need to make up for my CHI and DET picks. 8)