GDT: 4/19/12 > Game 4 > Blues @ Sharks > 9:30 PM

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GDT: 4/19/12 > Game 4 > Blues @ Sharks > 9:30 PM

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

When I watched stewart last night I noticed that he's doing a great job of marking up in the Blues' offensive zone and getting wide open in good goal scoring position in front of his own net.

:doh: :facepalm:
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Stewart was noticeably better last night as far as hustling and being involved in some plays. He still looks out of sorts, but I think he looked obviously better last night than in Game 3.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I've heard that 25 was really upset when he got traded and wants, more than anything, to play in Colorado. So fu ck him, let him play in Colorado. He certainly isn't doing anything positive for the Blues. Addition by subtraction. - Stewart, + Schwartz or Tarasenko, I think we win.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

He's probably p-whipped on some chick in d-town. I can't imagine a grown man sulking like this for any other reason.

Or if he's a homosexual, it's a man.

Or if he's bisexual, could be both.

If he's into bestiality, there may be a goat there he's fond of.

Who the hell knows, just get rid of his ass already. :moran:
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

cardsfan04 wrote:
ohio BLUES wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:And, I thought Jackman was terrible last night for the most part.
Man, I guess I'm watching a totally different game than all y'all. Jackman has looked as good in the last two months as he ever has, and I used to be what you'd call a Jackman basher. Sure, he misplayed the big rebound Elliott gave up leading to the Sharks' only goal. A forgivable offense. Jackman was fine.

You do realize that there's another team on the ice that wants to win the hockey game as well, right?
I thought he took a bad penalty and had a couple of bad giveaways in the defensive end. I've seen him play worse, but I wasn't very impressed last night.
I would not call the cross-check a bad penalty. Winchester blatantly cross-checked Jackman with no call, so Jackman made sure Winchester enjoyed the same treatment, which caused Jackman to take a another non-called clear high-stick to the face. That is why Jackman was pissed when he went to the box and Winchester did not get squat. If the refs are not going to protect you when a team is taking liberties, protect yourself. That is not a bad penalty, IMO. Jackman has been outstanding in jumping up into the play, getting pucks to the net, and being a nuisance along the boards in the defensive zone. That's his game.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Thoughts on this game:

1) As already stated, the 74/42/57 line is shutting down the Thornton line. They were so effective at shutting that line down, they moved Marleau to a different line and moved him Center.
2) At times last night, the Blues were dominating play during 5 on 5 to the point they looked like they were on the power play. The Sharks were not even touching the puck in the defensive zone during those stretches other than Niemi making saves or Sharks trying to block shots.
3) There were times the Sharks looked like they were on a power play 5-on-5, but the Blues were getting to pucks and winning battles, they just kept failing at clearing attempts or icing the puck.

To me - it looked like the Sharks were playing a stronger game, but here is the big, big difference.

4) The Blues dominated offensive and defensive zone faceoffs. The only area the Sharks beat the Blues in faceoffs was in the neutral zone. Who cares about neutral zone faceoffs? Offensive faceoff wins lead to scoring chances and defensive zone faceoffs wins lead to clean breakouts to get into the offensive zone. In this area, the Blues were dominant.
Offensive zone: won 11 of 15. Defensive zone: won 14 of 23. Scott Nichol was almost perfect winning 5 of 6. Before the 3rd period started, the Blues were winning 80+% of non-neutral zone faceoffs. The difference in play in the 3rd period which helped the Sharks - Thornton finally started winning faceoffs.
5) Sharks goal - it was a blatant rare mistake by Elliott. He straight out-right mishandled the puck. I have seen the comment about Jackman, but the puck should never have been anywhere near Jackman. Elliott grabs and holds the puck like he does 99% of the time and it's a defensive zone faceoff the Blues likely win and he gets the shutout. Elliott was outstanding the rest of the game as he has been all season.
6) It's nice seeing Andy MacDonald's name in the top 5 in assists and total points (3G 4A) considering how low-scoring this series has been and how ridiculously high-scoring the Pit/Philly series has been. Patrik Berglund is also in the top 10 in points with his 3G and 3A. Putting those two on the same line with Steen was a brilliant decision by Hitch. The Sharks still have not found an answer to stop that line.
7) #25 played better. He wasn't a defensive liability this time. The comment about him posting up in scoring areas in the Blues own end - he is supposed to do that to take away that space from the Sharks. He did not do that at all in Game 1 and did not do it in the 2nd period of Game 3 which led to him being benched for the 3rd period in that game. #25 did have some nice scoring chances which were the result of him actually skating in both ends of the ice. So, he played a better game. He still does not win one-on-one battles for pucks which is what bugs the crap out of me about his play. Someone with his size should win way more puck battles. It's reminiscent of Berglund prior to January of 2011 when Berglund wasn't using his size in front, on the boards, pretty much anywhere. That changed and Berglund has been much better since then. #25 still has not figured out how to use that size. It is only #25s third season and if he doesn't figure it out really soon, he just won't get paid. As an RFA, he will not get a significant contract offer after playing a season like this past one. Even if he does, there is no reason for the Blues to match with Schwartz already here and Tarasenko likely joining the team. I cannot fault #25s play in game 4.

Good win for the Blues. Time to end this series on Saturday.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

If 25 was playing like 25 is SUPPOSED to play, they could just hand Backes the cup right now. 25 is a liability. Thankfully he's only seeing extremely limited ice time.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

glen a richter wrote:If 25 was playing like 25 is SUPPOSED to play, they could just hand Backes the cup right now. 25 is a liability. Thankfully he's only seeing extremely limited ice time.
True.

8:46 in Game 3 (only 46 seconds in the 3rd period) with zero PK or PP time.
7:25 in Game 4 with 18 seconds of PP time.

Yes, he is not playing much. I would be tempted to call the Sobotka, Arnott, #25 line the Blues 4th line considering Nichol/Langenbrunner/Crombeen see more ice time.