Round 2 : Blues vs Kings

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Round 2 : Blues vs Kings

Post by F Keenan »

ibldbl wrote:
thedoc wrote:DaDitka and I were talking about JR's tweet. It should start Friday because of Van Halen at Scott on Saturday. I have an extra ticket. So I think I am going to sell it for $ One Billion Dollars.Image

That that Cardsfan :okman:
Van Halen is on Sunday the 29th.
++ According to Scottrade Center's website Van Halen is Sunday. I guess if these guys have some giant stage setup that could influence the game to being on Friday night, especially since the Kings and Blues have several days to rest.
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

And while he had 34 losses in regulation, overtime or shootouts, the Kings scored two goals or fewer in 15 of them, and one goal or less in nine.
IMO, this is the most important aspect of this series. I know the Kings changed their lineup, but the Blues held the changed lineup to zero goals on the road on March 22nd and lost in a shootout. There are no more shootouts. With the Blues being the stingiest defense in the league in both shots allowed and goals against combined with the propensity for the Kings offense to disappear, the Blues win this series. Fairly certain Quick will steal at least two games, though. Going with the Blues in 7. Interestingly, both teams scored 14 goals in their 5 playoff games this season. I would think the Blues will not allow as many goals as the Canucks did.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

ibldbl wrote:
thedoc wrote:
Doesn't change the price.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

F Keenan wrote:
ibldbl wrote:
thedoc wrote:DaDitka and I were talking about JR's tweet. It should start Friday because of Van Halen at Scott on Saturday. I have an extra ticket. So I think I am going to sell it for $ One Billion Dollars.Image

++ According to Scottrade Center's website Van Halen is Sunday. I guess if these guys have some giant stage setup that could influence the game to being on Friday night, especially since the Kings and Blues have several days to rest.

I don't see a two day break after a long lay off and the first game.

Does that mean either Thursday/Saturday or Saturday/Monday?

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

DaDitka wrote:
F Keenan wrote:
ibldbl wrote:

I'd bet on Saturday / Monday.

Another interesting question: do the Blues opt for the 2/3/2 format as opposed to 2/2/1/1/1? If I understand it correctly it will be their option. personally I see this thing going 6 or 7 so why not get the last two at home?
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

fargoblues wrote:
DaDitka wrote:
F Keenan wrote:
ibldbl wrote:

Another interesting question: do the Blues opt for the 2/3/2 format as opposed to 2/2/1/1/1? If I understand it correctly it will be their option. personally I see this thing going 6 or 7 so why not get the last two at home?
Absolutely not.
2-3-2 sucks for the Blues.
If LA splits in St. Louis, then they have the next three in LA.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

fargoblues wrote:
DaDitka wrote:
F Keenan wrote:
ibldbl wrote:

Am I missing something? Since when is there an option? Hockey has always been 2/2/1/1/1. Baseball is 2/3/2.

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

It's an option if scheduling games becomes a nightmare.

If there's any Saturday game, I plan to tailgate in City Hall parking lot before the game if anyone's interested.

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

Prngr44 wrote:It's an option if scheduling games becomes a nightmare.

If there's any Saturday game, I plan to tailgate in City Hall parking lot before the game if anyone's interested.
Ok, but I swear I have never seen a series format other than 2 home, 2 away, 1 home, 1 away, 1 home.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

F Keenan wrote:
Prngr44 wrote:It's an option if scheduling games becomes a nightmare.

Ok, but I swear I have never seen a series format other than 2 home, 2 away, 1 home, 1 away, 1 home.

I did read were we did have the option in the first round and we chose to stay 2/2/1/1/1.....however that very same article mentioned that at that time we would have chose the other if we were facing the Kings. It did not explain why so I do not know if that has changed (or if we even have an option in the second round)

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

I have no clue but if there was an option I would assume we would have it since we are the higher seed.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

Philo
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Philo »

ibldbl wrote:

The Blues will be in L.A. on Sunday.
"Philo can stalk with impunity"Goon Attack

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

The only way I can see a 2-3-2 working out for the Blues is that it decreases the amount of potential travel back and forth to the west coast, but then again it also decreases LA's travel to the midwest. I'd prefer a 2-2-1-1-1 considering everything else and considering that the team didn't have to go toting all the way back out to Cali for a game 6 v. San Jose. IF they had to travel back to San Jose for a game 6, and even worse if they had to travel back to St. Louis for a game 7, I would have probably favored a 2-3-2 to ensure only one trip out west and back instead of a possible 2 trips.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

CincyBlue
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CincyBlue »

I would prefer a 2-2 format myself.

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

If I had to pick any 4 games to have at home in a best of 7, it would be games 1, 4, 5, and 7. So, it would be a 1-2-2-1-1 format.

I've always felt Game 4 was the most important game to win after Game 7. After game 4, the series is either up for grabs at 2-2 or one team is dominating 3-1, 4-0. You want that game at home.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

What they might do is have Game 1 Saturday afternoon, then have Game 2 Monday night. To me it would make the most since, unless they do Game 1 Thursday night and Game 2 Saturday afternoon. It would give the Van Halen group enough time to set up their stage Saturday night/Sunday afternoon.

IMO I really feel if we advance from round 2 we would be favored to win it all, but then again we have to BEAT the Kings, which we haven't done this season.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

We would run smack into Nashville in round 3.

I'm not saying we couldn't win, but we wouldn't be the favorite.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

kodos wrote:We would run smack into Nashville in round 3.

I'm not saying we couldn't win, but we wouldn't be the favorite.
True, but would have to see who they versus first in round 2.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

philco_3 wrote:What they might do is have Game 1 Saturday afternoon, then have Game 2 Monday night. To me it would make the most since, unless they do Game 1 Thursday night and Game 2 Saturday afternoon. It would give the Van Halen group enough time to set up their stage Saturday night/Sunday afternoon.

IMO I really feel if we advance from round 2 we would be favored to win it all, but then again we have to BEAT the Kings, which we haven't done this season.
What???

Yes, the Blues did beat the Kings. St Louis shutout LA 1-0 in February at Scottrade. They shutout the Kings again in LA but lost in a shootout. There are no shootouts in the playoffs. So the two most recent matchups, the Blues are 1-0-1. The first loss to the Kings was in October when Halak was playing like ass and before Hitchcock took over and was the only game in the series this season that was not decided by one goal.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

Frusciante
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Frusciante »

philco_3 wrote:What they might do is have Game 1 Saturday afternoon
Hell yes! That way I can have the boys over to show how real hockey should be played. Now that the Wings and Canucks are playing like asses, the swedes are instead drooling over the Penguins-Flyers games... Sick-of-it!