Rd. 1 Playoff Series Thread: #3 Coyotes vs. #6 Blackhawks

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Rd. 1 Playoff Series Thread: #3 Coyotes vs. #6 Blackhawk

Post by cardsfan04 »

northwest dave wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:It might be slightly on the excessive side, but I like it. It comes across a little bit as a makeup for not suspending Weber et al, but something significant had to come IMO.
Total makeup call. I understand 25 games for a repeat offender, but comparing to the other hits?? NHL caved to the media.
Yeah, it definitely was a bit of a makeup call. But, I think the real issue is that they didn't get the other ones right, not that they got this one wrong. I think 10 games was the minimum they could go here, but given Torres' long history of this kind of thing, 25 isn't totally insane.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

cardsfan04 wrote:
northwest dave wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:It might be slightly on the excessive side, but I like it. It comes across a little bit as a makeup for not suspending Weber et al, but something significant had to come IMO.
Total makeup call. I understand 25 games for a repeat offender, but comparing to the other hits?? NHL caved to the media.
Yeah, it definitely was a bit of a makeup call. But, I think the real issue is that they didn't get the other ones right, not that they got this one wrong. I think 10 games was the minimum they could go here, but given Torres' long history of this kind of thing, 25 isn't totally insane.
While I agree with a 15-25 game suspension, others have used their stick or elbow and have gotten waaayyy less. This was a bad timed hit that went high. It is dangerous and Torres has a history of this, but wow.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Kreegz2 »

10 games would have been more than enough. To give him the 2nd longest suspension in modern NHL history for a reckless hit is absolute shit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violence_i ... uspensions

Just read all of the other infractions that have gotten 10+ games, they are in a completely separate league.
2015-2016 LGB sponsor of Robert Bortuzzo
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Kreegz2 wrote:10 games would have been more than enough. To give him the 2nd longest suspension in modern NHL history for a reckless hit is absolute shit.

Just read all of the other infractions that have gotten 10+ games, they are in a completely separate league.
It's 25 games because he is a repeat offender. Had this been the only hit and the only time he has played this way, yes 10 games is about right. The issue is Torres plays this way all the time and the message had to be sent to change the way you play - ie stop targeting players heads - or sit. It's alot like the way the league handled Matt Cooke when he was out of control.

Also, consider this. How many current NHL players have been disciplined 5 times for illegal hits? The only one I can name is Raffi Torres. Two of those 5, not counting this current one, happened this season. Someone hitting illegally that often deserves having the hammer dropped on him. And this doesn't count the questionable hits which others thought were borderline as to their legality.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

theohall wrote:
Kreegz2 wrote:10 games would have been more than enough. To give him the 2nd longest suspension in modern NHL history for a reckless hit is absolute shit.

It's 25 games because he is a repeat offender. Had this been the only hit and the only time he has played this way, yes 10 games is about right. The issue is Torres plays this way all the time and the message had to be sent to change the way you play - ie stop targeting players heads - or sit. It's alot like the way the league handled Matt Cooke when he was out of control.

Also, consider this. How many current NHL players have been disciplined 5 times for illegal hits? The only one I can name is Raffi Torres. Two of those 5, not counting this current one, happened this season. Someone hitting illegally that often deserves having the hammer dropped on him. And this doesn't count the questionable hits which others thought were borderline as to their legality.
Exactly. And another one of the hits came in the playoffs last year against the Blackhawks (although I don't recall if he was suspended). If this was a first-time offense, it would be something like 5 games I think. But, he does this same kind of thing all the time and doesn't learn from his suspensions. If this didn't send the message, I don't know what will.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Stalberg wants the night off... only reason to get four penalties in a game right?
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Looks like a game 6... probably OT then too :)

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Finish them off already!

It's not that the Hawks scare me at all.......I just don't think they have any chance of beating Nashville.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

That shot by Toews was absolutely perfect. Smith had zero chance of stopping that.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

DaDitka wrote:Finish them off already!

It's not that the Hawks scare me at all.......I just don't think they have any chance of beating Nashville.
Any team that has won the Cup recently scares me. Those teams usually have a knack for knowing how to win. :hawkssuck:
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I actually want chicago v. nash because I think that will be a long grinding series that will wear down whoever wins.

If we manage to get into the 3rd round, I would rather face a tired team that played a ton of OT games.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Mike Smith vs Pekka Rinne equals lots of OT. Corey Crawford vs Pekka Rinne = another 5 game series victory for Nashville.

So... I hope the Coyotes take that series to a game 7 and actually win Game 7. Then two defensive teams with excellent goaltending have to fight it out in what would likely be a longer 2nd round series.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

theohall wrote:Mike Smith vs Pekka Rinne equals lots of OT. Corey Crawford vs Pekka Rinne = another 5 game series victory for Nashville.

So... I hope the Coyotes take that series to a game 7 and actually win Game 7. Then two defensive teams with excellent goaltending have to fight it out in what would likely be a longer 2nd round series.
:plusplus: and possibly no Hossa
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'd rather face a defensively inferior team with weaker goaltending. LA, Nashville and Phoenix all worry me, in that order.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Hawks simply don't want this one.

Good news......the lesser team advances.

Bad news......Nashville gets a weak opponent.

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Can't jinx a 4-0 game right? :lol: :grin: :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol:
:hawkssuck: :hawkssuck: :hawkssuck: :hawkssuck:

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Dude, Q should come under heavy pressure. That team flat out laid down that series.

That was a joke.

The only reason every game went to OT was that Chicago was that much better...they weren't even trying and still managed to push each game to OT.

All of Chicago should feel shame.

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

DaDitka wrote: All of Chicago should feel shame.
You don't need all those fancy words, this part did just fine... we don't even need a reason, I say we sink that shithole in the lake!

crazyhorse
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by crazyhorse »

[
So... I hope the Coyotes take that series to a game 7 and actually win Game 7. Then two defensive teams with excellent goaltending have to fight it out in what would likely be a longer 2nd round series.[/quote]

Got yer wish!!
2012-2013 official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka
2013-2014 official LGB sponsor of Ryan Miller
2014-2015 official LGB sponsor of Alexander Steen
2015-2016 official LGB sponsor of Kyle Brodziak
2016-2017 official LGB sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 official LGB sponsor of Scotty Upshall
2018-2019 official LGB sponsor of Brayden Schenn

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Okay, I'll admit I didn't see the majority of the 2nd and 3rd periods of this game but at least in the first the Hawks just DOMINATED the Coyotes' lives and Smith just bailed them out over and over. Maybe the Hawks "laid flat" in the 2nd and 3rd but at least from what I saw that wasn't the case at all and Smith just stole a game and thus, the series.

All the teams with average to weak goaltending have already been bounced. I think this years' first round has really sent the message, even more clearly than in years past, that you HAVE to have a goalie that is hot and can steal some games to advance because if you don't and you're facing a goalie who can: you're fucked, even if you are the superior team, which is debateable if the Hawks were or not. I flipped a coin at the beginning of this series as it was; dead even.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk