GDT: 4/28/12 > Game 1 > Blues v Kings > 6:30 PM > NBCSN

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT: 4/28/12 > Game 1 > Blues v Kings > 6:30 PM > NBCSN

Post by dmiles2186 »

I'm saddened to announce that I won't be in Flashchat tonight, I'm heading over to a friend's house to watch the game. I will be there in spirit. Not that anyone cares, but I figured I'd make that announcement or else ss would start flinging expletives my way during game 2. :mrgreen:
TRAFFIC ADVISORY: Fans attending Saturday’s Game 1 vs. Los Angeles will want to note that I-64/40 Westbound from Broadway to 10th Street will be closed this weekend. If you are coming from Illinois using this route, please alternate your route into downtown.

PARKING UPDATE: 14th Street between Clark and Market Street will be closed to through traffic from 4 p.m. until midnight on Saturday. Parking in the Municipal Lot (corner of 14th Street and Clark) will be accessible only through the Clark Street entrance.

KINGS at BLUES

TV: NBCSN, TSN

Season Series: Second-seeded St. Louis didn't need to see the first-round results to take eighth-seeded Los Angeles seriously. The Kings beat the Blues in three of four regular-season meetings and Vezina Trophy finalist Jonathan Quick allowed just a single goal in his three starts, posting a .989 save percentage. Brian Elliott, the undisputed No. 1 in St. Louis with Jaroslav Halak ailing, made only one start and one relief appearance against the Kings in the regular season, but posted a .977 save percentage in those outings.

Big Story: The two best defensive teams in the NHL. The goalies that finished 1-2 in the League in shutouts, totaling 19 between them. Veteran head coaches that didn't start the season behind the benches where they currently stand, but who changed the fortunes of their respective teams upon their arrivals.

About the only storyline you don't hear being discussed when it comes to the Blues and the Kings are the offenses, but it's whichever team is able to find a way to generate a few goals that will move on to the Western Conference Finals. St. Louis was 21st in the League during the regular season averaging 2.51 goals per game, while Los Angeles was next-to-last at 2.29. Both teams improved somewhat in their five-game, first-round series wins -- 2.80 for the Blues, 2.40 for the Kings.

Team Scope:

Kings: While the playoffs were in doubt for most of the season in Los Angeles, once the Kings did get in there wasn't much question Quick and their defensive system would give them a shot against top seed and Presidents' Trophy winner Vancouver. But no one could have expected the Kings jumping to a 3-0 series lead or finishing off the Canucks by winning their third game of the series at Rogers Arena.

That's exactly what happened Sunday when Jarret Stoll scored at 4:27 of overtime for a 2-1 victory in Game 5, completing a comeback that started when Brad Richardson tied the game early in the third. Quick, who allowed eight goals in 302 minutes (1.59 goals-against average, .953 save percentage), finished with 26 saves as Los Angeles won its first playoff series in 11 years.

"It's been a long road for a lot of guys in here that have been in this organization and put in a lot of time and just coming together as a group and to finally take a -- this is just one step -- but to take a step in this playoff atmosphere is huge for this team," captain Dustin Brown said. "I'm just proud of this group."

Blues: The expectations might have been somewhat different in St. Louis with a Central Division title and higher seed, but the Blues had gone almost as long as the Kings without advancing in the playoffs before they dispatched of the Sharks. Elliott's goaltending and the dominant play of forwards Andy McDonald and Patrik Berglund allowed them to finish off San Jose for their first series win in 10 years.

Like the Kings, the Blues trailed 1-0 entering the third period in Game 5 before they rallied for a pair of goals 45 seconds apart. Veteran Jamie Langenbrunner evened the score with 8:44 remaining, then David Perron deflected a point shot by Alex Pietrangelo for the series-winning goal. McDonald's empty-netter gave him a team-leading four goals and eight points, while Elliott (1.37 GAA, .949 save percentage) stopped 50 of 52 shots over the final two games of the series.

"We play the right way, the way we have to play to win," coach Ken Hitchcock said. "And everybody is on that same page, and almost afraid to get off it. I think having to rely on each other kept the stress and pressure away.

"It's a very unique team. There are no superstars. There's just a bunch of guys that grew up together, they're having fun together, and now they're counting on each other."

Who's Hot: Stoll scored a pair of goals for the Kings in the first round, and both were game-winners. … McDonald scored goals in each of the Blues' final four games against the Sharks, while Berglund compiled 1 goal and 4 assists during a three-game points streak.

Injury Report: Los Angeles forward Simon Gagne led all scorers in the regular-season series between these teams with four points, but he's been out since late December with a concussion. Forward Kyle Clifford is day-to-day with an upper-body injury. … Halak (lower body) has been ruled out for at least the first two games of this series. Forward Scott Nichol (undisclosed) is day-to-day.

Stat Pack: With Gagne sidelined, Anze Kopitar's two goals were the most scored by any player in the regular-season series. Kopitar, Stoll and Mike Richards each finished with three points. … Langenbrunner, Vladimir Sobotka and Alex Steen were the only Blues to score goals against the Kings.

Puck Drop: St. Louis went 43-15-11 this season once Hitchcock took the reins, while Los Angeles put together a 25-13-11 mark after Darryl Sutter's hiring. Both coaches understand what it takes to make a deep playoff run, and have a mutual respect for each other.

"It's a pretty good hockey club and he's a pretty strong leader, [with] a good veteran group and kids that probably just needed a clear focus," Sutter said. "Hitch can establish that in a hurry … that's what good coaches do. Guys who have coached for a long time, they can adapt, and they have a good pulse on the room. He does that."

"I'm happy for him," Hitchcock said. "I know what he's doing is what he wants to do. I know in his heart he's a coach and he loves coaching. I think he's at his happiest when he's barking and cajoling."

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: GDT: 4/28/12 > Game 1 > Blues v Kings > 6:30 PM > NBCSN

Post by glen a richter »

Kings 1 Blues 0
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Gaijin Flyer
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by Gaijin Flyer »

I'll be watching on TiVo after the game. Have a work thingy to do.

Kings 2
Blues 1 2OT

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

I will be watching from the comfort of a seat in Scottrade Center.

MY FIRST GAME OF THE SEASON!!!! !!! :goblues:

On my way to get face paint. Already picked up hair dye. I will have you know, I have a respectable playoff beard. Shaved it on game 82, beard is 1.5 inches thick

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

[youtube][/youtube]

Kings are going DOWN
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

Tailgating... City Hall parking lot. Big white truck with BLUES plates.

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Excellent I love a nice frantic game where I may have a heart attack. And I get to curse dmiles for not being in flashchat which is a win win if you ask me :-)
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

I'm 3-0 the last three games NOT making a prediction, so I won't make one now.

Just win this fvcking game, damnit!

GO BLUES!
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

The Flake
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by The Flake »

4-2 Blues

1st line gets hot for the series opener at home. Perron with two goals.
Remember,
Amateurs built the ark ....
Professionals built the Titanic

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

The Flake wrote:4-2 Blues

1st line gets hot for the series opener at home. Perron with two goals.
The Blues may win this game, they may win this series, but I don't think any game in this series will feature 6 goals combined between the teams.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

This day has already gone to shit for me, so I expect nothing less than the Kings whooping up on us.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Repeat of last series? Lose the first but rail off 4 straight?

Doubt it but I'll plan for it :lol:

Kings 2 OT
Blues 1
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

Time to make the donuts. The good guys keep on truckin'.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

Frusciante
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Frusciante »

Get the (Franking) puck over the (Franking) pad already!!! Should've been 3-0 instead of 1-1. Really soft goal btw...

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

Hope the Blues go apeshit on Kings in the second... And let Quick see some hail!!!

Speaking of hail - hope everyone's ok there.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I have never seen so many blown scoring chances in my life.

Crombeen just needed to elevate the puck, as did McDonald, Nichol misses the net, Langenbrunner coasts into the offensive zone on a 2 on 1 with zero speed or sense of urgency.

We're making Quick look a lot better than he's been in this game
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

PGABluesFan
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by PGABluesFan »

Petro doubtful to return. Season over.

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

let's not get carried away.

However, the Kings can eat a dick.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

I regret to inform you that your team just peed home ice advantage down their leg because they are incredibly lazy and stupid.

That's a very average team that just stole game 1. They didn't do much of anything, and the Blues played so terribly that it didn't matter. Elliott can't give up that rebound on the second goal. Shattenkirk, Oshie, Stewart, Macdonald...all complete non-factors.

This team has a lot of soul-searching to do in two days. Unacceptable effort.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

:facepalm: What a giant horse shit of a game. Things couldn't have started more perfectly....and then the roof caves in. Missed chances on a goalie who barely yields any....the LAST guy we can afford to lose leaves with a head and/or neck injury. Elliott flounders on the GW, the Blues spend most of the 3rd on the PK.

Essentially, a throwback Blues playoff game. And as we all know, that is a horrible thing.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.