GDT: 5/3/12 > Game 3 > Blues @ Kings > 9:00 PM > NBCSN

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Frusciante
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Re: GDT: 5/3/12 > Game 3 > Blues @ Kings > 9:00 PM > NBCSN

Post by Frusciante »

WaukeeBlues wrote:And no, you can't solely point the finger at Elliott. Our collective team looks confused and is playing poorly and unable to handle the pressure the Kings are throwing at us. I think it's terribly unfair to say he's a "lost cause" and go all panic-button just because of his play in one series.
This. Blues still got a great goalie pair (Jennings, mind you) and hopefully Elliott can continue to play well next season like he's done all year (except postseason). He's still a relatively young goalie and with some playoff experience he could well be great also in future playoff-games. And even if we choose to go with Halak, Elliott is a great back-up.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Nyghtwynd might take the torch from me as the most pessimistic downer of all.

Dude, this team is playing like crap right now, but that doesn't mean it's time to blow it up and start over. Apart from a fluke playoff appearance a few years ago, this is almost all of their first REAL playoff experience. The defense is young and, as great as Pie and Shatty are right now, they're still growing. It wouldn't surprise me if the D is even more stifling next year. The one thing missing, a game changing offensive force. Schwartz and Tarasenko are already in-house options... well Tarasenko is currently across the street, but I think he's looking over at the front door and thinking seriously of coming in.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

I've had low expectations this whole year. Kinda happens when you're also an Illini and Bears fan :facepalm:

But just look at the ages of the team. The dudes are young as poop.
Berglung, Perrin, Oshie, Cole, Pie, Shatty, Polak, Sobotka, Stewart, Schwartz and then Elliott and Halak
Backes and Steener are both 28, which is still young.

Carlo and Jax have got to go.

anyways, this team is close. There are many badass pieces in place. But like we've known for years now, they need that uber badass scoring dude.
If they lose this next game, whatever. They had an awesome year, and I'll be excited as shit for the 2012-2013 St. Louis Blues.
:goblues: :letsgoblues: :hawkssuck: :detsucks:

blues fan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by blues fan »

Well the Blues had a good year and congrats to them, but this series should show them where they need help in the future. The Kings have manhandled them all series long. I think Sunday this year will be over and time to get ready for next year. Elliot has not been what he was in the reg season an wondering why we didn't see Reaves? This king team is massive and we needed to match as much size as possible. I say way to go blues on a great season and hopefully this exit will make the hunger that much stronger for next year. Arnott and Langs need to call it a career and we need a real 1-2 consistant goal scoring punch.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

The Kings have just dominated, overwhelmed, and outplayed the Blues in every single facet of all three games. Apart from the first period of the first game, they've controlled everything. They're out-Bluesing the Blues. They're winning the majority of the puck battles, and when the Blues are playing a dump and chase game, that's not a good thing. They're standing the Blues up at the blue line and the Blues can't make a solid entry into the zone. It sure doesn't help when the Blues work so hard to get ONE goal and the Kings come back and score seconds later. That's happened twice in this series.

I don't see the Blues pulling off a miracle. They are playing like crap, but I think a lot of that credit goes to the Kings. They're the better team and they're poised to go far. Since Sutter took over, they've been a different team.

It's a shame too, because things seemed to be falling the Blues' way with so many top seeds falling. But I don't want to hear any of the 'same ol' Blues' crap. That's not the case. This is something to build on. We made it to the second round, a place we haven't seen in a decade. It's not a failure in my opinion.

We've got at least one more Blues game this season. I'm going to try to enjoy it. I still have a sliver of hope the Blues can pull off the improbable, but from what I've seen on the ice, that's not going to happen. Too large of a mountain to climb.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

You're reading my post wrong. Face it...there is no reason to stand pat. You have been shown by a team that couldn't even win its own division that you are far inferior. What you have will not be good enough, so your job is to make it better. At no point did I say "blow up the team". But I do think there are three or four needs on this team, and one or two addition-by-subtraction pieces that need to happen. Standing pat is an admission that you're just the Blues and you don't deserve any better.

This year has been a success. The second round is good. But unless they give the Cup for a second-round berth, we can do better.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Nyghtewynd wrote:You're reading my post wrong. Face it...there is no reason to stand pat. You have been shown by a team that couldn't even win its own division that you are far inferior. What you have will not be good enough, so your job is to make it better. At no point did I say "blow up the team". But I do think there are three or four needs on this team, and one or two addition-by-subtraction pieces that need to happen. Standing pat is an admission that you're just the Blues and you don't deserve any better.

This year has been a success. The second round is good. But unless they give the Cup for a second-round berth, we can do better.
Tweeks are always needed in the offseason, even by teams who win the cup.
But our ownership situation needs to get resolved before we sign any free agents.

We'll see what they do.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

It's very frustrating how we have played this round, but I don't think we have to look at this as a failure. We overachieved in the regular season more than underachieved in the postseason IMO. I mean, it might be a mix of both. But, the team is clearly headed in the right direction.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

I think we've clearly seen two things.....

One that we already knew, this team needs a top pairing defensive defenseman

Secondly....and surprisingly......there is ZERO leadership in that locker room.

As for Elliot, he looked uncomfortable in game one and it's all gone down hill from there. That said, I'm not throwing in the towel on his career. Just goes to show that everyone shouldn't be so quick to unload Halak either.

I'm pretty much OK with the rest of the roster. Being back Stewie cheap and try and sign a veteran that can bring to the playoffs what Arnott brought during the regular season.

Tank and Swartz will bring the extra scoring you need.

I don;t think Steen is anywhere near 100% right now and I really think this team would look a lot different if he was.....yes the season is over, but don't over-react in regards to next year.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

DaDitka wrote:I think we've clearly seen two things.....

One that we already knew, this team needs a top pairing defensive defenseman

Secondly....and surprisingly......there is ZERO leadership in that locker room.

As for Elliot, he looked uncomfortable in game one and it's all gone down hill from there. That said, I'm not throwing in the towel on his career. Just goes to show that everyone shouldn't be so quick to unload Halak either.

I'm pretty much OK with the rest of the roster. Being back Stewie cheap and try and sign a veteran that can bring to the playoffs what Arnott brought during the regular season.

Tank and Swartz will bring the extra scoring you need.

I don;t think Steen is anywhere near 100% right now and I really think this team would look a lot different if he was.....yes the season is over, but don't over-react in regards to next year.
I agree with everything you said except for the leadership thing. I mean, that might be true. But, i don't think it necessarily is. It seems kind of late in the year to finally be noticing that as an issue. I think it's just a bad 3 games at an inopportune time than it is definitively bad leadership.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Are you pansies giving up? :x

Screw that... win game 4 and then three in a row just like we did against the Sharks.

At least make a series of it.

And yeah, we have needs... another stud D-man would be nice.

Bring back Stewart? F him. It's totally appropriate that he had his best game of the season in a losing effort, becuase he's been a loser all year.

This team has given me more entertainment this year than I expected so even if they complete the flameout, I feel like they accomplished something already. Maybe that's how they feel too. I am certainly optimistic about next year, but I am not giving up hope just yet. Win Game 4, win at home in Game 5... new series, baby.

:goblues:
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

WindyCityBluesFan
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by WindyCityBluesFan »

There have been moments the last two games where I actually thought that the Blues players must have all bet against themselves in Vegas or something because they seem to be throwing the games away. Not to take anything away from L.A. , they have obviously outworked the Blues on both ends of the ice. This has not been fun to watch. I just hope that they at least try to make it interesting because this team is too good to look this bad.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Kings top 6 forwards are better than the Blues top 6 forwards. End of story.

I hope the Blues pull off a miracle comeback, but I am not expecting it when the Blues top 2 lines are not scoring at all.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

were those the LA announcers last night? I'll ask here since nobody in flash chat answered me.

I turned off the sound. Those announcers were (Franking) ridiculous. Even after Stewart scored, they said nothing about Stewart but only about how rare it was (or something like that) for Quick to let in a goal like that...

even the Blues successes were framed in reference to how great the Kings are/have been.

It was (Franking) ludicrous.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

I'd like to see Arnott back, but not sure how much he's got left in the tank. Langenbrunner was ok, but I think his spot is expendable if you think both Schwartz & Tarasenko make this team out of camp next year.

Their confidence has been shattered, taking horrible penalties, letting in horrible goals. They've abandoned the "system" and they're getting bent over the barrel for it.

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

I guess we all shouldn't be surprised that a Daryl Sutter team 1) takes out or injures a star player from the opposing team and 2) initiates borderline hits and get the retaliatory power plays.

It all seems to familiar. Can't we dress Mellanby so he can check Dougherty legally and separate his shoulder?

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Prngr44 wrote:I'd like to see Arnott back, but not sure how much he's got left in the tank. Langenbrunner was ok, but I think his spot is expendable if you think both Schwartz & Tarasenko make this team out of camp next year.

Their confidence has been shattered, taking horrible penalties, letting in horrible goals. They've abandoned the "system" and they're getting bent over the barrel for it.
This is assuming Tarasenko comes over.

I really really hope he does.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I want Arnott back for sure.

He's shown his age a few times this year but by and large has been an asset, another big body to move, and has chipped in on the powerplay as well. It's almost like we got Walt back when he was 36 :lol:

Langenbrunner I could see letting go. Personally I don't see what he brings to the table on the ice. Unless there's a forceful argument to be had that he adds to the locker room what he doesn't on the ice, I see no reason to keep him. Every time he gets a look he just tees up and fires a cannon (which I've seen him score on exactly once out of I don't know how many chances) and he's slow as shit.

But yes: DEFENSE really needs some work. I agree that we need to try to move Cola & Jackman and get some new blood on that blueline.

Goaltending honestly I think we should stay put. I've seen nothing in this series with the Kings that convinces me that the Halak-Elliott combination is a poor one and prior to these 3 games we've had 87 ones of (mostly) success. Still the most dangerous tandem in hockey and I think it would be a colossal mistake to break it up.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I think Tarasenko will come over. In fact, the thread about him making a decision soon was the first I ever heard of doubt that he would. It's like the going gets tough with the team losing this series that everyone is jumping on the "sky is falling" bandwagon when it comes to bringing in young talent for next season. Schwartz is already here, Tarasenko seems to want to come to America, at least this is what I've read and heard in the past, and I get the distinct feeling we may sign Jaden's brother during the offseason. I'm pretty sure he's eligible to sign anywhere as an undrafted FA?

As for d-men, it wouldn't surprise me to see a guy like Ponich make the club next season, huge presence on the blue line, but I'd prefer, as I'm sure we all would, a crafty vet with experience, especially with Langenbrunner and/or Arnott most likely not coming back.

Just taking a quick look at the list of potential 2012 free agents, you've got Sarich, Liles, Kuba, Salvador... just to name a few. There are options.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

glen a richter wrote:I think Tarasenko will come over. In fact, the thread about him making a decision soon was the first I ever heard of doubt that he would. It's like the going gets tough with the team losing this series that everyone is jumping on the "sky is falling" bandwagon when it comes to bringing in young talent for next season. Schwartz is already here, Tarasenko seems to want to come to America, at least this is what I've read and heard in the past, and I get the distinct feeling we may sign Jaden's brother during the offseason. I'm pretty sure he's eligible to sign anywhere as an undrafted FA?

As for d-men, it wouldn't surprise me to see a guy like Ponich make the club next season, huge presence on the blue line, but I'd prefer, as I'm sure we all would, a crafty vet with experience, especially with Langenbrunner and/or Arnott most likely not coming back.

Just taking a quick look at the list of potential 2012 free agents, you've got Sarich, Liles, Kuba, Salvador... just to name a few. There are options.
Maybe I'm just being a homer, but I wouldn't mind seeing Salvador back. We need solid D, right? Do you think he would be willing to return? Maybe if we send him a "With deepest sympathy, we're sorry we traded you for Cam Janssen" card.