GDT: 5/6/12 > Game 4 > Blues @ Kings > 2:00 PM > NBC

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT: 5/6/12 > Game 4 > Blues @ Kings > 2:00 PM > NBC

Post by dmiles2186 »

BLUES at KINGS

(Los Angeles leads best-of-seven series 3-0)

TV: NBC, CBC, RDS

Big Story: The Kings go for the knockout before what's sure to be a raucous sellout crowd at Staples Center, while the Blues look for a way to send the series back to St. Louis for Game 5.

Team Scope:

Blues: To say that the Blues have been stunned after dropping three in a row to Los Angeles -- after not losing three straight games in regulation during the regular season -- would be an understatement. They haven't had a lead since the early stages of Game 1, are taking a lot of undisciplined penalties and are not getting the kind of goaltending that helped them lead the NHL in goals-against during the regular season.

"We're not built for coming from behind all the time," coach Ken Hitchcock said.

One problem for the Blues is that they're facing a team that plays a style similar to theirs -- but it doing it better.

"I think we're getting done to us what we've done to teams all year," Hitchcock said. "I think we're getting it done to us. It's how do we react to this now?

Kings: With his team one game away from making the Western Conference Finals for the first time since 1993, it's fair to say that GM Dean Lombardi's midseason coaching change has been a success. The arrival of Darryl Sutter following the firing of Terry Murray has ratcheted up the team's intensity. He's not the screamer that some might have anticipated, but he's got his team ready to play every night. Sutter has the Kings playing the kind of grinding game that often produces success in the postseason.

"He pushes the right buttons," captain Dustin Brown said. "I think one problem we had as a team was, before he got here, was getting emotionally attached to games. He brought that emotional level up. You can do all the X's and O's right, but if you're not emotionally attached, it's really hard to win in the League. And he's brought attention to that. Again, that comes with pushing guys and patting guys on the back at the right time."

Who's Hot: L.A.'s Jonathan Quick has been the best goaltender through the first two rounds of the playoffs. He's won seven of eight games and has a 1.62 goals-against average and .948 save percentage.

Injury Report: The Blues are still without goaltender Jaroslav Halak (ankle) and played Game 3 without center Jason Arnott, who's day-to-day with a lower-body injury. … The Kings have been without forward Simon Gagne (concussion) since late December.

Stat Pack: The Blues' top-six forwards had 10 goals and 15 assists in five games against San Jose, but have managed just two goals and five assists in three games vs. L.A. Alex Steen, Patrik Berglund and T.J. Oshie do not have a point in the series. Andy McDonald, who went 4-4-8 in five games against the Sharks, has one goal, one assist and only six shots on goal despite averaging 20:14 of ice time against the Kings. … The Kings have gone up 3-0 in both their playoff series this spring after never winning the first three games in any series since entering the NHL in 1967.

Puck Drop: It's a busy spring at Staples Center, where the Kings are jockeying for playoff dates and practice time with the NBA's Clippers and Lakers, both of whom qualified for the postseason. The constant turnover in the building has meant that the Kings often have to have their morning skates at their practice facility rather than on their home ice -- much to the chagrin of Sutter, who wants his players to get used to the game-day environment.

"Young guys … don't get to go and skate. They go there at night and play the game and they're there for three or four hours," Sutter said. "You don't get to experience the whole atmosphere of it. When you look at it, you'd like to do it all the time. It's the only chance we've had to it. You've got three teams and you can't do it. You've got six days here. If the Sunday game was an afternoon game we could actually do it twice."
2Pac said it best...

[youtube][/youtube]

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GDT: 5/6/12 > Game 4 > Blues @ Kings > 2:00 PM > NBC

Post by gaijin »

Is it bad that the stoic resolve is setting in, and it's still 6 hours until game time?

:goblues:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Had a dream last night that the Blues played very very well in game 7 of this series, implying that they got the job done in games 4-6.

Given that, Blues lose this one 1-0 in 4 OT.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

See ya next season folks.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

Today we will learn a lot about this team. Its the ultimate nutcup check. The blues will get kicked square in the nuts today. Will they get up get and kick back, or will they turtle?

I hope they kick back but the logical conclusion is they make tee times tomorrow morning. :cry:
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

the way this team responded to round 2 makes me believe that if they win this game, they lose game 5.

I hope they prove me wrong. if they get their swagger back, they could win 4 in a row and take this.

I have not given up hope. :goblues:
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Clearly we are the more rested team and thus will take the play to the Kings........

For the first 65 seconds until the Kings score a softie and the Blue's again drop their shoulders and NBC switches to paid programming instead of airing the third period.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

:plusplus: :plusplus: :plusplus: :plusplus: :plusplus: for the 2Pac reference!!!
We win.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I have some newfound hope that we can pull this out. If we win today, then we get to come home where we are really good. If we win at home, an 8 seed is going to start having a lot of pressure on them. If it gets to game 6, they are going to have a lot of pressure on them to prevent a game 7 in St. Louis.

Longshot, but possible I guess.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

Reaves is in. Bring it back home and we'll figure it out from there. It'd be swell to see somebody power bomb Dustin Brown through the ice, down to the bowels of Earth.
Let Us Go Blues.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

Ultimate hockey day for me.
See the Blues at noon. Then go to game 3 of the WHL Finals (Portland vs. Edmonton) with Ty Rattie (Blues prospect) leading the Winterhawks.

Hoping the day starts off right and Blues come out with full force. Let's do it boys.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Since this place will become a ghost town starting tomorrow, I should ask now... who's interested in fantasy football?

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

glen a richter wrote:Since this place will become a ghost town starting tomorrow, I should ask now... who's interested in fantasy football?
(Frank) football.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

glen a richter wrote:Since this place will become a ghost town starting tomorrow, I should ask now... who's interested in fantasy football?
Glen, how can you think of football at a time like this?
:lol:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

northwest dave wrote:
At a time when we're about to witness the Blues get swept ingloriously out of the playoffs?

Maple Leafs... Islanders... Flyers. What do those three teams have in common? In 95 years, the only three teams to come back from an 0-3 deficit. The odds, most definitely, are not in our favor.

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

glen a richter wrote:
northwest dave wrote:
At a time when we're about to witness the Blues get swept ingloriously out of the playoffs?

Maple Leafs... Islanders... Flyers. What do those three teams have in common? In 95 years, the only three teams to come back from an 0-3 deficit. The odds, most definitely, are not in our favor.
Yes. I will focus on the pain that will be delivered today. Bring it...I'm ready.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

As an aside, Dave... Rattie is looking like the biggest steal in the draft since forever. At least based on his Portland numbers. Is he the benefactor of a good system or is he just that good?

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Win or lose, Brown needs to go down, and he needs to go down hard. What a Draper-like player he has turned out to be.
I'd love to see them bring the series back to St. Louis...then maybe get a win here and trail 3-2 going back to LA.
But based on how poorly they have played in the last 2 games, my confidence in that happening is pretty low.

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

I sincerely believe that we would have been in a much better spot in this series if we had played Reaves the whole time. Hopefully the team gives us something to be happy about in this round.

Blues 4
Kings 1

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'm confused why we ate a year of Schwartz to just not play him in a series where every offensive threat would have been a plus against the obviously stingy Quick. He should have been playing from game 1. Hell, the Rags are playing Krieder without second thought and he's been instrumental in them advancing as far as they have. Why no love for Schwartz while there's extreme love for 25?

Maybe next year this team will feature Schwartz, Tarasenko and Rattie. Buy into Hitch's defensive system plus be able to score some goals, could be a winning combination.