Off Season Roster Change Suggestions

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Off Season Roster Change Suggestions

Post by glen a richter »

Jagr... no thanks.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

glen a richter wrote:Jagr... no thanks.
I'll see your "no thanks" and raise you a "no (Franking) way".
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

No to Jagr or Andrei Kostitsyn. Just look at the crap he pulled in his short time with Nashville. Even before they acquired him, there was a big debate as to whether or not they should. Turns out the Predators played their best round 2 playoff game without him. They probably should have stuck with what got them to the playoffs in the first place. Not saying they would've gotten by Mike Smith, but one never really knows.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

Carl Racki wrote:They traded a number one overall pick for stewart. He'll get another chance.
I really don't consider him for that number 1 pick...I take it as getting Shatts for it.

I would hope the Blues resign Langs for another season, I know he wasn't very productive, but I also realize with the chance of getting new players in the offseason we shall have to see what the Blues will do.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

Carl Racki
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Carl Racki »

I'm not saying Stewart doesn't have shortcomings, or that he deserves big money. I'm saying considering what they spent to get him, and the fact that he played like a little girl this year thus lowering his price, I don't think there's any way the Blues don't re-sign him.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Carl Racki wrote:I'm not saying Stewart doesn't have shortcomings, or that he deserves big money. I'm saying considering what they spent to get him, and the fact that he played like a little girl this year thus lowering his price, I don't think there's any way the Blues don't re-sign him.

Agreed, the purse strings are still going to be quite tight (possibly even tighter) this year and Stew could possibly be had for even less then what he made last year. I know why many are so down on him, but while the new ownership is trying to get the finances in order, he could offer a nice bang-for-your-buck option if he get's his s*&% together.

I know everyone wants to let him walk and sign a free agent goal scorer, but that's not going to happen. Were else can you find a guy that has 30+ goal potential for under 2.5 mill.....it's not going to happen....and they aren't going out and signing someone to a 5 mill (or more) per year deal.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

DaDitka wrote:
Carl Racki wrote:I'm not saying Stewart doesn't have shortcomings, or that he deserves big money. I'm saying considering what they spent to get him, and the fact that he played like a little girl this year thus lowering his price, I don't think there's any way the Blues don't re-sign him.

Agreed, the purse strings are still going to be quite tight (possibly even tighter) this year and Stew could possibly be had for even less then what he made last year. I know why many are so down on him, but while the new ownership is trying to get the finances in order, he could offer a nice bang-for-your-buck option if he get's his s*&% together.

I know everyone wants to let him walk and sign a free agent goal scorer, but that's not going to happen. Were else can you find a guy that has 30+ goal potential for under 2.5 mill.....it's not going to happen....and they aren't going out and signing someone to a 5 mill (or more) per year deal.
Don't give someone 2.5 million for "potential" when they repeatedly flopped for an entire season while claiming they supposedly "got it." 500K or let him walk and draft someone. Let's see what Tarasenko or Schwartz can do with Stewart's ice time.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

The only reason I'd give Stew a second chance (at a greatly reduced, near-entry salary) is because when we needed him to score the most, he did. Twice against the Kings. Plus he picked the right time to fight and his 'Shhhh' to the crowd in LA showed me where his heart really is. That was classic.

I've come to the point where I don't care if we got someone who can score 30+ goals in the regular season or score 6, if they can score goals in the postseason, when we REALLY need it, then they're the ones we want to keep. Bergy looked great, Stewart stood tall against a team that we couldn't beat if our lives depended on it and he scored twice against them. Stewart, for crying out loud.

I think in general our setup is fine depth-wise, we just need a few elites to carry us and we're set. No one flashy or overpriced, just a few middle-of-the-road players who can get the job done in the postseason. I've grown not to give a damn about the regular season after this year. 8th Place LA proved that to me.

Get us into the playoffs and then unload on them.

I am curious though what kind of injury Halak REALLY has or if Hitch decided to just bench him to run Elliott. Anyone know what the exact injury Halak had from getting ran over by our big Dman? I have looked around and haven't found a write-up anywhere on how bad he's hurt or what the deal is. Just seems suspicious.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

Oaklandblue wrote: I am curious though what kind of injury Halak REALLY has or if Hitch decided to just bench him to run Elliott. Anyone know what the exact injury Halak had from getting ran over by our big Dman? I have looked around and haven't found a write-up anywhere on how bad he's hurt or what the deal is. Just seems suspicious.
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/p ... e2a6c.html
High ankle sprain. In this instance, no conspiracy theory needed.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Bah, screw 25. As an RFA they can trade his rights and I say do it.

Stewart's rights and a conditional late draft pick for Ryan McDonagh

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Stewart for Salvador?
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Salvador is a UFA, I think.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

glen a richter wrote:Salvador is a UFA, I think.
So? lol...hopefully we give him an offer.
TW Tiger Woods TW

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

STLADOGG wrote:

He's 36 years old! He's 5 years OLDER then Jackman.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

DaDitka wrote:
STLADOGG wrote:

He's 36 years old! He's 5 years OLDER then Jackman.
5 times better as well.
TW Tiger Woods TW

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Oakland, I like that he did that too, but 25's heart was in the right place for ONE game. His season was an epic failure.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

goon attack wrote:Oakland, I like that he did that too, but 25's heart was in the right place for ONE game. His season was an epic failure.
If the Blues had had the ONE game #25 all season, they probably are still playing in the playoffs. That's the point about why he shouldn't be here next season or only on a miminum vet contract. (not directed at you, goon... just a comment).

Carl Racki
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Carl Racki »

[quote][/quote]
Understand the hate, but he'll be a blue next year.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Carl Racki wrote:
This is the issue - whose ice time does he take up? If Tarasenko and Schwartz make the team, which they both should, does #25s "experience" weigh more? IMO, it shouldn't based on his performance.

Top 6 are already Backes/Oshie/MacDonald/Berglund/Perron/Steen. Sobotka works his ass off, so he stays. Reaves works his ass off, so he stays. Nichols is a faceoff machine so he stays.

Not sure if Langenbrunner or Arnott will even return seeing as they were on 1-year contracts and are old.

It still leaves - Porter, Crombeen, D'Agostini, Cracknell, Grachev, #25, Tarasenko (probably), and Schwartz fighting for 3 roster spots. I don't envision #25 outworking any of that bunch, and without the work, his potential is pointless.

And this does not include if the Blues do anything in the FA market.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

theohall wrote:
Carl Racki wrote:
This is the issue - whose ice time does he take up? If Tarasenko and Schwartz make the team, which they both should, does #25s "experience" weigh more? IMO, it shouldn't based on his performance.

Not sure if Langenbrunner or Arnott will even return seeing as they were on 1-year contracts and are old.

It still leaves - Porter, Crombeen, D'Agostini, Cracknell, Grachev, #25, Tarasenko (probably), and Schwartz fighting for 3 roster spots. I don't envision #25 outworking any of that bunch, and without the work, his potential is pointless.

And this does not include if the Blues do anything in the FA market.
Unlike the rest of that list, Stew's put up the numbers. His potential is there, he just doesn't live up to it. Goon Attack - I know and I agree with you and pretty much everyone else, he's been garbage this last year. If we keep him, it'll be because not because of his past experience, but because no one else is going to want a work ethic-issued player. I doubt we'd even get a third round pick for him.

I think Arnott is gone. Langs, I think he'll stay cause of Hitch. I think he's got one good year left in him.

Everyone else on that list I'd package and see what we can get for them. I don't see anyone on that list beyond Tara and Schwartz being a serious keeper (That's if Tara decides to cross over and start wearing Blue). The rest is trade bait (And good trade bait at that), far as I'm concerned.

EDIT - Because the 'everyone else' list only pertains to the paragraph that goes 'It still leaves'. Everyone else I'd keep.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!