Stanley Cup GDT #4: 6/6/12 > Devils @ Kings > 7:00 PM > NBCS

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Stanley Cup GDT #4: 6/6/12 > Devils @ Kings > 7:00 PM > NBCS

Post by gaijin »

Sorry I missed creating a GDT for Game 3- I had to move out of my house on short notice.

Yahoo Sports preview: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/devils-kin ... --nhl.html
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. (AP) Jonathan Quick remembers eating ice pops with his friends and watching their beloved New York Rangers win the Stanley Cup on television in 1994. Dustin Brown vaguely recalls Joe Nieuwendyk bringing the Cup to Ithaca, N.Y., but can't remember if he got to see it up close.

With just one more win by their Los Angeles Kings, the star goalie and the courageous captain will have the Stanley Cup in their hands, above their head - even in the Pacific Ocean, if they choose.

The stage is set for a California coronation in Game 4 on Wednesday night. The Kings could complete a sweep of the New Jersey Devils in the Stanley Cup finals in front of a sellout crowd that's been waiting 45 years for this chance to celebrate.

''It's right there in front of us, but we know there's one more step,'' Brown said Tuesday at the Kings' training complex. ''We don't want to trip now.''

The eighth-seeded Kings are dominating the NHL playoffs with an ease that's stranger than ice in sunny L.A. A franchise that has never done much of anything in the postseason has already conquered the Western Conference, and the Kings are one win away from claiming their first championship in almost impossibly stylish fashion.

The Kings are on a 15-2 playoff run that has only one equal in NHL history, leaving everyone searching for superlatives to describe the way Los Angeles has steamrolled every opponent in its path by a combined 49-24 margin.

Game 4 is even a chance for Los Angeles to be the first NHL team to win the Cup at home since Anaheim in 2007, rewarding the fans who consistently sold out Staples Center even during the Kings' ignominious playoff absence from 2002-10 before general manager Dean Lombardi's rebuilding plan yielded bountiful fruit this spring.

''There's a lot at the end there to look forward to, if we play the right way,'' Jarret Stoll said. ''I'm sure we'll talk a lot about it the next day and a half to get ready, making sure we're playing the right way, having the right attitude. Can't get too excited, look too far ahead. You have to stay in the moment and play the game.''

The Kings appear to be neither overly excited nor overly defensive about the potential conclusion to this two-month playoff push. Los Angeles has been remarkably unaffected by any of its success after a rough regular season in which a playoff berth wasn't secure until just before the 81st game.

They have a chance to match Edmonton's NHL-record 16-2 run through the 1988 playoffs in Game 4, but the Kings aren't getting too high.

''It doesn't count any more than the rest of them did,'' insisted Quick, who has allowed just 24 goals in 17 playoff games. ''Obviously, we're not going to start thinking about stuff that hasn't happened yet.''

The Kings started this run with two road victories over top-seeded Vancouver nearly two months ago, and they haven't slowed down. Los Angeles eliminated the top three seeds in the West and eventually took a 3-0 lead in all four of its playoff series - both unprecedented accomplishments in NHL history.

Los Angeles is led by Brown, leading playoff scorer Anze Kopitar and Quick, the All-Star goalie and Conn Smythe Trophy favorite who has a .950 save percentage behind a shot-blocking defense that has allowed just five power-play goals in 69 chances. The Kings have won four straight games and 12 of their last 13, never even trailing at any point in nine of their last 11 games - including the entire Cup finals so far.

The Devils have played the Kings tougher than any previous postseason opponent over a three-game stretch, but it hasn't been enough.

''I don't think we believe we deserve to be in the hole we're in,'' Devils coach Peter DeBoer said. ''I think we played better than the situation indicates, but that's hockey. We have to persevere here, and stick with it and find a solution.''

Los Angeles needed overtime goals to win the first two games in New Jersey, and the Devils had a golden opportunity to take their first lead of the finals during six power plays over the first two periods of Game 3, a disparity that even inspired Kings coach Darryl Sutter to do a bit of halfhearted sniping about the officiating.

But New Jersey couldn't convert on its chances in Game 3, and now the Devils are in an 0-3 hole that's only been escaped three times in NHL playoff history - and just once in 25 tries in the Stanley Cup finals, by Toronto in 1942.

''It's hard for the team that's behind to wrap (its minds) around it and say it's possible,'' said Martin Brodeur, a three-time champion. ''The team that's ahead knows it just has to work hard for little longer, and that's it.''

Stoll and Kings defenseman Matt Greene learned all about the importance of perseverance to the last minute of the NHL postseason in 2006, when their eighth-seeded Edmonton Oilers fell one game short of winning the Cup against Justin Williams' Carolina Hurricanes.

''You work so hard for your teammates,'' said Stoll, who scored the series-clinching overtime goal in the first round against President's Trophy-winning Vancouver. ''At the end of every playoff win, it's such a gratifying feeling to sit in your stall. You're exhausted. You lost 8 to 10 pounds, whatever the case may be. You have that win under your belt, looking forward to the next game. ... You want to take advantage of it, because you never know when you're going to get back to this stage.''

When the Kings go looking for weaknesses to inspire their effort, they're struggling - but at least they can point to Game 4, their only sore spot in the entire postseason so far. They failed to eliminate Vancouver and Phoenix on their first chance, forcing them to make a second trip to both cities - where they padded their historic 10-0 road playoff record with Game 5 victories.

''We haven't been very good in these situations,'' Kings center Mike Richards said. ''We're 1-2 when we're up in this situation. It's something we have to improve on, obviously. We still know that we can play better and be better. We're going to have to be, because they're going to bring it all.''
Can't believe it could end tonight. What a run by the Kings, even if they don't win this game.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Stanley Cup GDT #4: 6/6/12 > Devils @ Kings > 7:00 PM >

Post by STLADOGG »

Devils win.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I should get home in time for the 2nd period. By that point, it should be 3-0 LA. There's nothing more anti-climactic than a team clinching the championship in a no-doubt-about-it manner. I think we all know LA wins this series, probably wins it tonight. But, it's always better in a nailbiter 1 goal game, preferably overtime.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

I feel like I am watching from Hungary... streaming hockey online oy!
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Now you know how I feel 82 games a season digging furiously for a video stream that actually works. Well, okay not 82 games a season, there are some nationally televised games plus any game against the Rangers, Islanders or Devils. So I guess I end up scouring the internet for 70 games or so. Could get direcTV but I'm not a 1% elitist east coaster like some people think I am.

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

glen a richter wrote:Now you know how I feel 82 games a season digging furiously for a video stream that actually works. Well, okay not 82 games a season, there are some nationally televised games plus any game against the Rangers, Islanders or Devils. So I guess I end up scouring the internet for 70 games or so. Could get direcTV but I'm not a 1% elitist east coaster like some people think I am.
Well my elitist DirecTV wont work... they need to fix the thing, but they wont come do it till tomorrow.. bah humbug.

Side note, I would totally watch ESPN America instead of the actual American ESPN

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

What I meant to say was I could get Center Ice but I'm not a 1% elitist east coaster like some people think I am.

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

GOING BACK TO JERSEY!
LOCK THAT CUP UP!!!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Never liked when people from New Jersey referred to NJ as "Jersey". Jersey is in Europe, New Jersey is in America. I don't go walking around telling people I'm from York. New Jersey is swarming with half brain dead people who have clearly been affected by all the pollution spewing out of the northern part of their armpit of a state.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

What made me laugh last night: right after the refs gave LA a GIFT of a PP to let them tie it up at 1, there was a no call and Kings fans then started chanting, "Refs you suck!" Yes, the refs do suck, but they just gifted you a powerplay so shut up and be grateful.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

dmiles2186 wrote:What made me laugh last night: right after the refs gave LA a GIFT of a PP to let them tie it up at 1, there was a no call and Kings fans then started chanting, "Refs you suck!" Yes, the refs do suck, but they just gifted you a powerplay so shut up and be grateful.
I was happy the refs didn't end up deciding the game with that one bad call.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

I;m thankful for a Devils win. I'm hoping for 3 more, but I doubt that will happen. Devils have to score and shut down the lack of scoring of the Kings.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

STLADOGG wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:What made me laugh last night: right after the refs gave LA a GIFT of a PP to let them tie it up at 1, there was a no call and Kings fans then started chanting, "Refs you suck!" Yes, the refs do suck, but they just gifted you a powerplay so shut up and be grateful.
I was happy the refs didn't end up deciding the game with that one bad call.
This.

I actually called it too. I looked over at my roommate when they called that crap penalty and said "watch they score on the first shot" and lone and behold. Very happy that didn't end up being the decider, that would have been SH1Tee
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk