Blues sign free agent..

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Blues sign free agent..

Post by DaDitka »

Restricted free agent, Chris Stewart 1 year - 3 mill.

I don't mind this deal. Only problem is if he does find his game and net 35 - 40 goals, he'll command too much for us to bring him back.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Blues sign free agent..

Post by kodos »

They could still be trading him.

I dont have a huge problem with it either way though.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Not a bad deal. They didn't overpay him and if he actually decides to show up and play some hockey he'll be worth that money and then get himself paid next summer. It's another one of those 'prove it' deals the Blues are becoming known for and I like it. They are sticking to their guns and not going crazy with a long term deal.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Per Strickland..
Sources confirm the Blues and forward Chris Stewart have agreed on a one-year contract paying him $3 million for the 2012-2013 season. An official announcement is expected soon.

Stewart is coming off a down year offensively that saw his goal production dip from 28 each of the two previous seasons to 15 this past year. He scored 15 goals in 26 games with the Blues after coming over from Colorado in the Erik Johnson trade a year ago.

The Blues were likely planning to file for “cutdown arbitration” prior to Friday’s
deadline which could have cut his salary by as much as 15% which would have dropped his salary to $2.76 million. Stewart made $3.25 million last year.
Negotiating a one-year extension seems like a logical option for both sides compared to qualifying Stewart at last year’s salary.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

:thumbsdown:

Whose ice time is he going to suck up next season while claiming he "gets it."
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

This doesn't really mean anything.

They weren't going to just let him walk away. He has some value.

Even if they plan on trading him, he was going to get signed to an offer.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

I highly doubt it's any part of a sign and trade. They looked at the possible upside and they apparently want Swartz to go back down to Peoria. So they look at it as a top 6 forward for 3 mill and hopefully we have kids ready to take his place after this season.

The team was (apparently) very impressed with the way he maned up and admitted he wasn't 'committed' enough and the proactive steps he took in regards to the trainer and the nutritionist. I think it also shows responsibility and maturity that he agreed to the pay cut.

I wouldn't look any deeper into this deal then what it is...a one year, prove yourself contract.

I'm done hoping for him to be a 40 + goal scorer, but I did think he played much harder down the stretch and we know he has a knack for finding the back of the net when he's right. I for one hope he nets 35 and makes it a tough decision for the Blues next offseason.(simply because that's 20 more goals scored for the team)

BoxCar
All-Star
All-Star

Post by BoxCar »

DaDitka wrote: The team was (apparently) very impressed with the way he maned up and admitted he wasn't 'committed' enough and the proactive steps he took in regards to the trainer and the nutritionist. I think it also shows responsibility and maturity that he agreed to the pay cut.
Stewart "Maned up", done (terribly) in paint.
newstew.png
newstew.png (184.66 KiB) Viewed 3894 times
Official President of the 2011-2012 Sponsorship Committee of the honorable Alex Pietrangelo

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I wanted to see Schwartzy and Tank lighting it up next year. Instead, we get to see Stewart figure skating for a little bit less money and Tank shouldering the offensive load. It'll stunt his development. Screw 25.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

DaDitka wrote:I highly doubt it's any part of a sign and trade. They looked at the possible upside and they apparently want Swartz to go back down to Peoria. So they look at it as a top 6 forward for 3 mill and hopefully we have kids ready to take his place after this season.

The team was (apparently) very impressed with the way he maned up and admitted he wasn't 'committed' enough and the proactive steps he took in regards to the trainer and the nutritionist. I think it also shows responsibility and maturity that he agreed to the pay cut.

I wouldn't look any deeper into this deal then what it is...a one year, prove yourself contract.

I'm done hoping for him to be a 40 + goal scorer, but I did think he played much harder down the stretch and we know he has a knack for finding the back of the net when he's right. I for one hope he nets 35 and makes it a tough decision for the Blues next offseason.(simply because that's 20 more goals scored for the team)
I still wonder what the point was of having Schwartz use up a year only to play a handful of games? Are they really planning on him being in Peoria next season?
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

the AP article says 25's year was "Somewhat disappointing". Are you (Franking) shitting me? Somewhat???
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Hey, the length was the most important thing and 1 year is perfect.

Stays par for the course on having our players earn their contracts before we hand out the big salaries.

Having said that, I think this deal, unfortunately, sets a price for Oshie and Perron to look to for longer term deals and I think that's going to make their price go way up.

:?
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

WaukeeBlues wrote: Having said that, I think this deal, unfortunately, sets a price for Oshie and Perron to look to for longer term deals and I think that's going to make their price go way up.
Armstrong said yesterday that they are working on a long(er) term deal with Oshie, He said DP is going to have to prove he's healthy before he get's a long term deal. I still believe David is not long for this organization.

Back on Stewart, JR just tweeted that he will be restricted again next year so this deal looks even better now.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Here's Army's comments I referenced above...
"I'd like to talk to T.J. Oshie about something that might have a little bit of term to it."

"David (Perron's) injury, as an organization, we want to make sure he's past that."

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

DaDitka wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote: Having said that, I think this deal, unfortunately, sets a price for Oshie and Perron to look to for longer term deals and I think that's going to make their price go way up.
Armstrong said yesterday that they are working on a long(er) term deal with Oshie, He said DP is going to have to prove he's healthy before he get's a long term deal. I still believe David is not long for this organization.

Back on Stewart, JR just tweeted that he will be restricted again next year so this deal looks even better now.
Perron had the best year of his professional career last year at 21G, 21A (1G, 4A in the playoffs) and they want him to prove that he's healthy before he gets a long term deal? Perron, the guy that came back in after a concussion like a ball of fire, and they're wondering if he can still get past an injury? :shock:

If you look at Stewart's stats, 15G and 15A (2G in the playoffs), which matches his last years stats in Blue, if we're paying him one-year at 3M-ish, what are we going to offer Perron? If I was an Elite and I see this team paying 3M for 15G, 15A then yeah, I'd want 5M and rightfully so and yeah, the Note can't afford that.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

People act as though we 'wanted' to give Stewart 3 mill.

There were only two other alternatives, let him walk or file for 'cut-down' arbitration. In which at the most we would have saved $250,000.00. It wasn't worth it.Not at the risk of alienating your players. Army notes that Stewie is very popular. A natural leader that people gravitate to.I'm sure the club decided that it wouldn't be worth the ill will it could create as well as hoping Stewart remembers this good will when time comes to negotiate again next offseason.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

I'm really, really tired of Stewart saying, once again, for like the 3rd time in a year how he is going to finally try harder this time.

Just shut up already. Those words mean nothing.

I'm pulling for him, but man he was horrible last year.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

DaDitka wrote:Army notes that Stewie is very popular. A natural leader that people gravitate to.
?????

WTF???? From a guy that skated figure 8s and didn't try for 98% of the season? That's Brewer-like leadership. :roll:
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

cprice12 wrote:I'm really, really tired of Stewart saying, once again, for like the 3rd time in a year how he is going to finally try harder this time.

Just shut up already. Those words mean nothing.

I'm pulling for him, but man he was horrible last year.
Ironically, stats-wise, he has been consistant. To me, he lacks discipline and beyond brief moments of shine (The fight in LA for one and the 2 Goals he scored against the Kings), he's totally useless. For what we traded to get him, if it wasn't for Shatts, I'd say we broke even.

I would have let him walk, though. Oh well.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

theohall wrote:
DaDitka wrote:Army notes that Stewie is very popular. A natural leader that people gravitate to.
?????

WTF???? From a guy that skated figure 8s and didn't try for 98% of the season? That's Brewer-like leadership. :roll:
Someone needs to check Army's medication. First talking about DP like he did and now this Natural Leader crap. Okay, maybe Stewart is a nice guy with a good heart, I'll give him that. Maybe he backs up his 'friends', the team and he's that go-to guy when you got a problem and need a shoulder to cry on. Okay. I can understand that. What I can't understand is why Hitch hasn't been a force to be reckoned with on him. Hitch didn't put up with Hull, so why is he putting up with...oh....

Army's not on his meds. Ah. Ok. Makes sense! :aaaa: