Blues 1st round, 25th Overall Pick Jordan Schmaltz

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Blues 1st round, 25th Overall Pick Jordan Schmaltz

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Figured I'm cut and copy some scouting reports to pull together what I could find about him.
NE Hockey Journal wrote:Although scouts are divided this season on where Schmaltz will land in the draft, there is no denying he’s a skilled rearguard whose excellent hockey sense and vision along with his 6-foot-2 frame make him a coveted commodity for all of the NHL’s 30 clubs.

“He’s very offensively gifted,” said former Sioux City head coach Luke Strand. “He has high-end offensive awareness; he’s got great vision and patience with the puck to let something develop and make the right play.”

As Schmaltz continues his physical maturation, he could turn into a player who will not only lead the rush and quarterback the power play, but whose positional prowess should only get better with a more powerful upper body and increased leg drive.

“Jordan is a tall, slender guy,” Strand said. “As he matures physically, his strength will propel him along. He has a hard shot. I wouldn’t say it’s a laser, but it’s heavy. As he gets stronger, he’ll get more power behind it.”
http://hockeyjournal.com/blog/kirks/201 ... n_Schmaltz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Washington Post wrote:ST. LOUIS — The St. Louis Blues selected defenseman Jordan Schmaltz with the 25th pick in the first round of the NHL draft on Friday night.

Schmaltz, out of the USHL, is considered to be a project player. The 6-foot-2, 189-pound blue-liner will attend the University of North Dakota next year. He split this past season between the Sioux City Musketeers and Green Bay Gamblers, ranking second among USHL defensemen with 41 points (10 goals, 31 assists) in 55 games.

Schmaltz played 46 of games for Green Bay, leading the team’s defensemen in assists, points and power-play goals (five). He added seven points (two goals, five assists) and had a plus-10 rating in 12 playoff games for the Clark Cup Champions.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... story.html
hockey's future wrote:2009-10: Schmaltz appeared in two USHL games with the Sioux City Musketeers while spending most of the season with the Chicago Mission midget AAA team in Illinois. He played 11 games with the US National Team Development Program U17 team and represented the USA in two tournaments. He was scoreless and plus-one with 4 penalty minutes in his brief time with the Musketeers. Schmaltz was the leading scorer amongst defensemen for Chicago Mission, scoring 10 goals with 21 assists in 39 games. In 11 games with the U17 NDTP squad, he had 2 goals. He had 1 assist in four games as the USA won a gold medal at the U17 World Hockey Challenge. Schmaltz was scoreless in three games for the USA squad that competed in the 2011 U18 Vlad Dzurilla Tournament.

2010-11: Schmaltz played for the Sioux City Musketeers of the USHL, appearing in 53 games. He led all USHL defensemen in goals, assists, and points and was named to the USHL’s First All-Star Team, as well as the USHL’s All-Rookie Team. He scored 13 goals and added 31 assists and was an even plus-minus with 22 penalty minutes. After finishing sixth in the Western Conference, the Musketeers faced Sioux Falls in the first round of the playoffs. In three playoff games, Schmaltz picked up 1 assist. . Schmaltz played for the U.S. at the 2010 World Junior A Challenge, registering 1 assist in 4 games.

2011-12: Schmaltz opened the season with Sioux City before requesting a trade in early November and finishing the year with Clark Cup champion Green Bay. He was chosen to represent the USA in the 2012 World Junior A Challenge. In nine games with the Musketeers prior to the trade, he scored 3 goals with 3 assists and was minus-four with 9 penalty minutes. Sioux City would finish last in the Western Conference. Schmaltz scored 7 goals with 28 assists and was plus-15 with 20 penalty minutes in 46 games for Green Bay. After finishing first in the Western Conference, the Gamblers defeated Waterloo in an epic five-game series in the Clark Cup finals. In 12 playoff games Schmaltz was plus-10 with 2 goals and 5 assists. He was invited to the NHL Draft Combine and was ranked 34th amongst North American skaters in Central Scouting's final rankings prior to the 2012 NHL Draft.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/jordan_schmaltz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Meh.

Although I advocated that the Blues grab a defenseman, I couldn't believe how quickly they were coming off the board in the first round. Schmaltz was ranked as high as "late first round" which is obviously where he went but definitely a work in progress. He's the famous "we'll see." :?
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Blues 1st round, 25th Overall Pick Jordan Schmaltz

Post by glen a richter »

Well Waukee, you got what you wanted.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

glen a richter wrote:Well Waukee, you got what you wanted.
Not quite.

11 defensemen came off the board before we got to our selection so the pickings in terms of higher-end guys were pretty slim. He clearly is going to need work but I think playing at UND will obviously only help. Hope he has a great Freshman year but yes, I maintain that we needed more D-men in the system

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

schmaltz is the German word for grease.

Just sayin'.

:cup:

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Okay, we now have what the white man had.

When do we sign what the black man had... the "Blues"?

first person to get this is my new best friend and the rest of you are pussies. 8)
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

goon attack wrote:Okay, we now have what the white man had.

first person to get this is my new best friend and the rest of you are pussies. 8)
AC/DC Let there be rock?

The white man had the schmaltz

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

DaDitka wrote:
goon attack wrote:Okay, we now have what the white man had.

AC/DC Let there be rock?

The white man had the schmaltz
Yes as he said he just responded before me, because I actually work.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

What is this "Let there be rock?" A question mark... like you weren't sure??? :facepalm:

:doh:

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

goon attack wrote:What is this "Let there be rock?" A question mark... like you weren't sure??? :facepalm:

:doh:

I apologize for my inappropriate use of punctuation. I will go sit in the box and feel shame.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

gaijin wrote:schmaltz is the German word for grease.

Just sayin'.

It's rendered chicken fat. An important part of jewish cuisine.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

kodos wrote:
gaijin wrote:schmaltz is the German word for grease.

Just sayin'.

It's rendered chicken fat. An important part of jewish cuisine.

Good, now we have Chicken Fat - Schmaltz and Chicken Sh*t - Jackman :okman:

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

And Schwartz.

Now we need a Schmutz.

Maybe a Schlemiel and a Schlimazel.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'm getting quite the chuckle out of reading a bunch of midwesterners attempt Yiddish :) Thanks for the laugh.

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

Hey Keith I'm marrying a Jewish Girl in September so it's not racist if I say it...just when Goon does :grin:

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

I am jewish so I can make all the jew jokes I want.

That's the one good thing about being jewish. Well, that and being super rich and secretly running the world.

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

kodos wrote:I am jewish so I can make all the jew jokes I want.

That's the one good thing about being jewish. Well, that and being super rich and secretly running the world.
I guess I have to say I do before they give me the secret handshake. That being said for a wedding gift Mel Brooks is letting my produce his next movie.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I never said it was racist, I just thought it was pretty funny. When I think of people speaking Yiddish I think of a morning lineup at a bagel store ordering up a salt with lox shmirkrez. Be a mentsh and put on a little extra.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Shut up... you're all crackers. You too, kodos, unless you're wearing a yarmulke. Otherwise, you're just a cracker too.

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

In case you haven't heard this-
Ryan Kennedy of THN wrote:Pro prospects must play with caution
I’ve written about this before, but with the summer the NCAA has had, it’s hard not to bring it up again: It baffles my mind that elite hockey prospects risk their entire futures just to get blitzed at a team party.

The latest flashpoint comes from the University of North Dakota, where four intoxicated freshmen from the (former) Fighting Sioux were allegedly carried into their dorm by upperclassmen because they couldn’t walk under their own power. According to the Grand Forks Herald, goalie Zane Gothberg (Boston, 165th overall in 2010) was passed out on the floor when cops arrived. Bryn Chyzyk was lying on a futon and unresponsive until an officer applied a pressure point behind his ear. Drake Caggiula was taken to hospital with suspected alcohol poisoning, while St. Louis Blues first round draft pick Jordan Schmaltz (25th overall in 2012) locked himself in a bathroom during the initial sweep, then passed out on his bed where cops found him soon after.

The North Dakota athletic department has already suspended seven upperclassmen from its opening series against Alaska-Anchorage because of the incident, which has been characterized as a team party gone wrong. (The specter of hazing has been brought up, but not proven.)

Even though all four frosh were underage, I’m not going to pretend teenagers don’t drink. Heck, Jonathan Toews and Phil Kessel both had run-ins involving booze when they were in college and they turned out OK. But for the two NHLers, their dalliances were more about being careless about their surroundings (i.e. they were at a bar when they were underage) than putting themselves or their teammates in life-threatening situations. One of those players could have died from either alcohol poisoning or from choking on their own vomit in the middle of the night.

In less dire terms, what if the University decided this sort of publicity wasn’t worth the scholarship money these kids are riding around on? See ya.

I like Jordan Schmaltz. He’s really fun to interview and amusing to follow on Twitter. Scouts love his frame and the way he can take over a game with his puckmoving ability from the blueline. I want to see him play for the Blues one day, which is why I roll my eyes when things like this come out.

I’ve said it before: If I offered you millions of dollars and the fulfillment of your childhood dreams and all you had to do was not drink (or at least keep it to a beer or two in private – not half a bottle of vodka straight) for a couple years, would you do it? Because that’s what is at stake here.

Alcoholism has touched hockey in many ways throughout generations, reaching all the way up to Doug Harvey, one of the best defensemen ever. Countless careers have been derailed because of liquor and though there are cultural shifts that obviously must occur, it starts with the individual. And don’t tell me “boys will be boys,” because if you’ve ever used that as justification for something, you should have lost that argument.

College is a great place to grow up – if you grow up. I can’t help but chuckle at the fact that in major junior right now, one of the biggest stories revolves around a Peterborough Petes prank gone wrong, where players staged a fake home invasion that ended with real cops giving them a stern talking-to. The irony is that the players had permission from the adult billets who owned the home before they “broke in.”

Good on the University of North Dakota for suspending the older players responsible for this boozefest gone wrong – because in the absence of billets, it’s the upperclassmen who can make either a positive or negative impact on their impressionable younger brothers, who are most likely living on their own for the first time.

College can be fun, but a career in the NHL would be much more rewarding in the long run - and I’d hate to see someone lose the chance to shine on the big stage because of something as stupid as alcohol.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/4 ... ution.html

I should have shared the original story link, but its on one of those annoying "sign up to read me" crap news pages.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Meh.

Theoretically, he's right. These kids should have gotten a wake up call when they got drafted that it's not pee-wees anymore and they have the chance to live their dreams or squash it.

I would be shocked if every college hockey team in the country, be it club or division I, didn't have what here sounds to me like a Freshman initiation party. I know in mine we did. After tryouts were over and the team was filled we had a massive party just for bringing the Freshmen (/guys that just made the team) fully into the fold. We made them wear their helmets and gave them a checklist of things to do over the course of the party (e.g. take a shot with a senior, etc). It was mostly in fun and nobody was seriously at risk. It eventually dissolves into chaos and everyone gets bombed together.

Was it smart? No. Was it dangerous? Probably. But they're kids. They're NOT professionals yet and yes, they are the new players of the top colleges in the country that treat them like demi-gods and they're probably going to party. I'm not saying this behavior is excusable, especially when you get into issues of alcohol poisoning; that's never acceptable to push kids to drink until they could die.

But on the other hand, do you seriously expect these Freshmen to say no when the rest of the team wants to put on that kind of party? Probably not. And if they did they'd never hear the end of it and it would probably strain their relationship with their teammates. I'm not saying it's right. I'm saying it's what would happen.