Blues sign free agent..

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Blues sign free agent..

Post by glen a richter »

25 is like the kid who breaks a rule, apologizes, and then breaks the same rule 5 minutes later and follows that pattern through an entire year. It doesn't matter if you say you're sorry and you'll not do the wrong thing again if you don't follow that up with some sort of positive action.

He was rewarded for playing like a slouch in the form of not being a healthy scratch for 10 games in a row like he should have been, or by not being benched late in close games when we needed everyone working hard to generate a scoring chance or shut down the opposition. One fight in a playoff game does not an excellent season make.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

BoxCar wrote:
DaDitka wrote: The team was (apparently) very impressed with the way he maned up and admitted he wasn't 'committed' enough and the proactive steps he took in regards to the trainer and the nutritionist. I think it also shows responsibility and maturity that he agreed to the pay cut.
Stewart "Maned up", done (terribly) in paint.
newstew.png
BWAHAHAHAHA!! :lol:
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

What kills me, is that there was a commenter on TSN's article who claimed to have coached Stewart when he was 10 YEARS OLD and he had motivation issues back then.

:facepalm:

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

A little bit OT but I thought Langenbrunner would already be signed for next year. Anyone think different or have any news?
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I hope either Langenbrunner or Arnott (not both) returns next season. But I wouldn't be surprised if neither does. I do expect to see a bit of a different look on the team next year. Obviously Tarasenko in, maybe Schwartz if not opening night then soon, and I expect to see McRae in and Nichol out. Tarasenko + Schwartz - Arnott - Langenbrunner seems to work.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

glen a richter wrote:Tarasenko + Schwartz - Arnott - Langenbrunner seems to work.
On paper it does, but leadership will be impossible to replace.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'm hoping that Backes learned a lot about leadership from both Arnott and Langenbrunner this past year. Maybe they can gain some of the lost leadership from their eventual FA defense signing.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

okay forget McRae, Nichol re-signed.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

I would take Langenbrunner in an instant, and if what I heard about Arnott being a whiney little bitch in the last few playoffs games being true, let em go. We can spend that money towards somebody else.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

philco_3 wrote:I would take Langenbrunner in an instant, and if what I heard about Arnott being a whiney little bitch in the last few playoffs games being true, let em go. We can spend that money towards somebody else.

Arnott straight up took his ball and went home. I'm sure they had his locker packed before the end of the playoffs.

As for Langenbrunner....I can certainly see the value in having him back, but it sounds as though the sticking point is that he appears to think he as a bit more tread left then we do and is asking for multiple years. I would not give him more then one year, and I'd also ask him to take a pay cut. We need his veteran leadership but it was pretty invisible on the ice for the first 90% of the season last year.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Give him one year with mutual options if he wants a multi-year.

Hallplante
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by Hallplante »

Erik Johnson (RFA) and Jay McClement (UFA) will be free agents. The Blues could sign both and claim a decisive win in the Johnson trade. [smile]

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

Hallplante wrote:Erik Johnson (RFA) and Jay McClement (UFA) will be free agents. The Blues could sign both and claim a decisive win in the Johnson trade. [smile]
I would take McClement.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Agreed, I'd take McClement back, if they hadn't re-signed Nichol it would have been a no-brainer. Now Nichol is back for another year so it doesn't make quite as much sense.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

DaDitka wrote:
philco_3 wrote:I would take Langenbrunner in an instant, and if what I heard about Arnott being a whiney little bitch in the last few playoffs games being true, let em go. We can spend that money towards somebody else.

Arnott straight up took his ball and went home. I'm sure they had his locker packed before the end of the playoffs.

As for Langenbrunner....I can certainly see the value in having him back, but it sounds as though the sticking point is that he appears to think he as a bit more tread left then we do and is asking for multiple years. I would not give him more then one year, and I'd also ask him to take a pay cut. We need his veteran leadership but it was pretty invisible on the ice for the first 90% of the season last year.
That and he no longer knows how to take a wrist shot. I swear the guy only knows how to tee it up and nothing else...
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk