Report: Blues pursuing Morrow

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Report: Blues pursuing Morrow

Post by WaukeeBlues »

STL Today wrote:Blues general manager Doug Armstrong has acknowledged being involved in trade talks recently and now those discussions could be leading to a deal soon.

The Blues have prioritized adding a top-four defenseman this offseason, and after failing to land one in free agency, the trade route may be the club's only option. But while that search continues, Armstrong might have found a veteran forward to add to the mix.

Dallas captain Brenden Morrow is believed to be available and the Blues may have interest. They might not be the only team asking about Morrow, as the New York Rangers, San Jose Sharks and Los Angeles Kings may also be in contact with the Stars.

Morrow, 33, has perhaps seen his time pass in Dallas. The Stars have undergone much change in the past few weeks, signing free-agents Jaromir Jagr and Ray Whitney and acquiring Derek Roy via trade. The club even dealt Mike Ribeiro, with whom Morrow has shared on-ice chemistry in the past. The moves have seemingly pushed Morrow out of the top-six forwards.

Morrow plays left wing, and the Blues have three left wingers on their roster in David Perron, Andy McDonald and Alex Steen. They also have Matt D'Agostini and Jaden Schwartz, but Blues coach Ken Hitchcock prefers D'Agostini on the right side and Schwartz isn't a guarantee to make the opening-night roster. Steen could see time at center, which could leave a spot open on the left side.

Morrow is coming off an injury-riddled season. He played in just 57 games because of neck and back issues, posting 11 goals and 26 points. He played the final 14 games of the 2011-12 regular season, wrapping up against the Blues on April 7. He did not opt for surgery this offseason, instead using rest and rehab to ease the pain.

If healthy, Morrow could be the type of forward that would help the Blues. The two seasons prior to last year, he combined for 53 goals and 102 points. Eighteen of those 53 goals came on the power play, on which Morrow (6-foot, 209 pounds) likes to get dirty in front of the net. He's also solid defensively with a career plus-minus of +110.

Morrow has one year left on a six-year, $24.6 million contract with Dallas. The winger will make $4.1 million in 2012-13. He has a full no-trade clause, but could be willing to waive it to reunite with Armstrong and Hitchcock, the Stars' former GM and head coach, respectively. Morrow was also a member of the 2010 Canadian Olympic team, which had Armstrong as an executive assistant and Hitchcock as an assistant coach.

Morrow has been captain of the Stars since 2006, replacing franchise icon Mike Modano - a move that was made with Modano still on the team, leading to an awkward transition. If the Stars are moving in a new direction, it's highly unlikely that they would go down the same road with Morrow, who is believed to have a solid relationship with Stars' GM Joe Nieuwendyk.

The more likely scenario would be Morrow being traded. The Blues, who expressed interest in Phoenix's Shane Doan, seem to be a logical destination for Morrow.
Clicky!

Discuss.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Report: Blues pursuing Morrow

Post by STLADOGG »

First choice Doan IMO second route Morrow. Scared to see what we might have to give up.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I kind of like it. Let's face it, the Blues are not going to be trading for Malkin or someone absurd like that. But getting a proven veteran that can pot you 20 goals is never a bad thing. And his cap hit isn't absurdly high, I don't believe. Could be a good addition if you ask me.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

I would trade Stewart and a 4th round draft pick in 2013.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

philco_3 wrote:I would trade Stewart and a 4th round draft pick in 2013.
Fine with me, maybe a 3rd or 2nd might get it done.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

no thanks. They are good enough, especially with adding Tara and Schwartz

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

I don't think it's going to cost crap to get him, they just want to move him instead of taking the C while he's there and they are doing him a favor. He'll pick where he wants to go and they will work out token compensation.

I would take Morrow over Doan a million times .....Doan is the better player, but he's wanting good coin on a 4 year deal, while Morrow only has one year left at like 4.1. If Oshie makes it to arbitration, we will have to resign him, Bergie, Stewie, Shatty, Dags, Russel, Cole and Pie all next offseason, I think Doan on the books at 5 + would make that quite hard to do.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

DaDitka wrote:I don't think it's going to cost crap to get him, they just want to move him instead of taking the C while he's there and they are doing him a favor. He'll pick where he wants to go and they will work out token compensation.
Of course that's the angle the St. Louis media is spinning.

Dallas is reporting that the Stars do NOT plan to trade him.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

DaDitka wrote: Dallas is reporting that the Stars do NOT plan to trade him.
Which is the angle every team takes when they are trading someone whom they think fans do not want them to trade.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

Oz-iz-God
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Oz-iz-God »

I'd take him if he were essentially free.

$4 million for a cash-strapped team is not irrelevant. It will pretty much eliminate the possibility of adding salary at the trade deadline. Worse still, he didn't actually 'heal' his injuries from last season; he just let them rest. We don't know how effective the rest and rehab route will be. Neck and back injuries are notoriously lingering and if he still has weak disks back there, they're going to be a problem for the rest of his career.

If we can give up a nominal prospect or some guy that's clearly buried within the organization, I'd be willing to assume his salary. Otherwise he's just another Arnott and not a guy I'd want to give both significant salary AND a premium prospect for.
[Aode] 10:34 pm: well, if I find cornhole anywhere, I'll try it and let you know

It could always be worse, I could be a Cubs fan. (But please, if you could spare me the parallels between the respective organizations, I'd really appreciate it).

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I don't think they'll get Morrow. The top priority is a #4 d-man, not an injury risk forward to replace Arnott. But I'm not Armstrong, so what do I know?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

I might get hell for saying this, but I think that if they trade him it's because his best days are behind him. I think this is a smokescreen and we're after bigger game, possible a cornerstone player. That's my feeling.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Oaklandblue wrote:I might get hell for saying this, but I think that if they trade him it's because his best days are behind him. I think this is a smokescreen and we're after bigger game, possible a cornerstone player. That's my feeling.
Then you'll be sorely disappointed.

The Blues truly feel their cornerstone players on on the roster now. They are looking for either a center to replace Arrnot or a winger to free up Steen to fill that role and they'ed like to add another defenseman, but I think that is becoming less and less likely as well.

If Oshie get's one year deal in arbitration next week, we will have basically half the team coming out of their contracts next offseason and the team is committed to keeping the books clean so they can lock up the kids. This team isn't suddenly swimming in money and will not be spending to the cap any time soon. The new money simply hopes to make payroll this year instead of having to borrow from the league to make ends meat the way they did last year.

It's very sickening to me that so called fans think the only way for this team to get better is to sign a big name or take on a big contract.This team put up the second most points last year with McD, Steen, and DP missing large chunks of the season.

Pie is going to break the bank nest year, Shatty wont be cheap, Oshie is looking for over 4.25 a year, even though many don't seem to know it ... Bergie is a must resign and could push 4 a year himself, Dags is up, Andy Mac, Cole will need to be re-uped, Russel is a free agent, what if Stewie goes out and nets 30?

If they bring in a larger contract it will be something like Morrow or Bouwmeester that only has a year or two left on it.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

DaDitka wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:I might get hell for saying this, but I think that if they trade him it's because his best days are behind him. I think this is a smokescreen and we're after bigger game, possible a cornerstone player. That's my feeling.
Then you'll be sorely disappointed.

The Blues truly feel their cornerstone players on on the roster now. They are looking for either a center to replace Arrnot or a winger to free up Steen to fill that role and they'ed like to add another defenseman, but I think that is becoming less and less likely as well.

If Oshie get's one year deal in arbitration next week, we will have basically half the team coming out of their contracts next offseason and the team is committed to keeping the books clean so they can lock up the kids. This team isn't suddenly swimming in money and will not be spending to the cap any time soon. The new money simply hopes to make payroll this year instead of having to borrow from the league to make ends meat the way they did last year.

It's very sickening to me that so called fans think the only way for this team to get better is to sign a big name or take on a big contract.This team put up the second most points last year with McD, Steen, and DP missing large chunks of the season.

Pie is going to break the bank nest year, Shatty wont be cheap, Oshie is looking for over 4.25 a year, even though many don't seem to know it ... Bergie is a must resign and could push 4 a year himself, Dags is up, Andy Mac, Cole will need to be re-uped, Russel is a free agent, what if Stewie goes out and nets 30?

If they bring in a larger contract it will be something like Morrow or Bouwmeester that only has a year or two left on it.
My understanding is that Morrow is a mystery injury case. I wouldn't touch that even if they gave him away.

We're relying alot on a team that, last year, had a very difficult time scoring. We're relying on Tarasenko coming across the pond and scoring like a madman. We're relying alot on Schwartz ramping up and putting up goals. There are too many what-ifs in this situation on offense. One of our best players only played half a season and the front office says he's iffy because he's a concussion case. We kind of, sort of, need a scorer. We can't rely on D and netminding to bail us out every single game and I don't see a scoring unit yet that'll take us over the hump, yet. Maybe what we will have ramp up and do all of that.

Too many ifs.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Oaklandblue wrote: Too many ifs.
Perhaps, but that doesn't change the financial landscape.

Right now, after this season the only players you will have under contract that have played in the NHL (more then 7 games) are Backes, DP, Steen, Sobotka, Reeves, Jacks, Polak, and the Goalies. We have to resign or replace the rest of the roster. Their simply wont be enough room to keep all our kids and bring in a big name - big time contract. I for won am not willing to loose out on Shatty, Bergie, and a couple other guys to overpay a 'scoring' forward who's traits will be minimalized in this system anyway.

We have a plan and they are actually sticking to it. Find out what Swartz and Tank can offer this year, get your finances in order and then you can make moves either at the trade deadline or next offseason.

It simply doesn't make since to tie your hands right now. Not to mention Army even stated during the DP press conference that we either can't or won't participate in the signing bonuses being shelled out right now. He believes it is a temporary situation based on the threat of the expiring CBA.

I don't mean to disagree with your point about all the 'ifs', I just don't see the club doing anything drastic financially right now.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Not to be a jerk my man, but I would invest in a dictionary.

Finances aren't, or shouldn't be, an issue. Morrow has one year left on his contract. I don't forsee us trading the likes of DP, Backes, Steen (i.e. guys who are still under contract for '13-'14) for Morrow. I was figuring it'd be more like Stewart/prospects/picks for him. So if you're trading apples for apples anyway, what does next year's $$ matter?

If that's the case, I have no problem. He would essentially be here for a year tryout, brings more leadership to a locker room and if he doesn't pan out this year, oh well, we're not on the hook for anything beyond the year anyway.

As has been mentioned earlier in this post, all of this assumes a relatively cheap price. Obviously if the Stars GM wants Schwartz and a 1st rounder I would tell him to go to hell. We start talking about a small handful of lower picks with a splash of a prospect or two, I would listen attentively.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

WaukeeBlues wrote: Finances aren't, or shouldn't be, an issue.
That was my point ...in regards to Morrow.

I was replying to his suggesting that the Blues would make a move for a 'cornerstone' piece. I said if we were take on a big contract, it would be short term ...Morrow has one year left.I think the Morrow deal is a 'real possibility. I was disagreeing with the idea of acquiring a 'big name'. I don't see how we could/would add a 6 year/6 mill a year deal right now. Not until we have a better grasp on which young guys we are going to resign next year and what they each will command.

Yeah...my spelling is horrible and then I trust spell check and it ends up inserting the wrong word half the time. The problem with a dictionary is I'm so bad at spelling I can't look up the word I'm looking for.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

DaDitka wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote: Finances aren't, or shouldn't be, an issue.
That was my point ...in regards to Morrow.

I was replying to his suggesting that the Blues would make a move for a 'cornerstone' piece. I said if we were take on a big contract, it would be short term ...Morrow has one year left.I think the Morrow deal is a 'real possibility. I was disagreeing with the idea of acquiring a 'big name'. I don't see how we could/would add a 6 year/6 mill a year deal right now. Not until we have a better grasp on which young guys we are going to resign next year and what they each will command.

Yeah...my spelling is horrible and then I trust spell check and it ends up inserting the wrong word half the time. The problem with a dictionary is I'm so bad at spelling I can't look up the word I'm looking for.
After going a few more posts back I see what you mean now and actually now, ironically, I agree. Many voices, especially on this board have advocated a "Rick-Nash-type" acquisition and there's arguably no worse time to be doing that than right now.

You have trouble spelling and I have issues with reading comprehension :P

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

It will all be moot this season if there's a work stoppage, which at the moment appears to be in the cards.

Tank will get pissed he came all the way to America to not play, he'll go back to Russia and never return, we'll be set back 10 years of development again.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

DaDitka wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote: Too many ifs.
Perhaps, but that doesn't change the financial landscape.

Right now, after this season the only players you will have under contract that have played in the NHL (more then 7 games) are Backes, DP, Steen, Sobotka, Reeves, Jacks, Polak, and the Goalies. We have to resign or replace the rest of the roster. Their simply wont be enough room to keep all our kids and bring in a big name - big time contract. I for won am not willing to loose out on Shatty, Bergie, and a couple other guys to overpay a 'scoring' forward who's traits will be minimalized in this system anyway.

We have a plan and they are actually sticking to it. Find out what Swartz and Tank can offer this year, get your finances in order and then you can make moves either at the trade deadline or next offseason.

It simply doesn't make since to tie your hands right now. Not to mention Army even stated during the DP press conference that we either can't or won't participate in the signing bonuses being shelled out right now. He believes it is a temporary situation based on the threat of the expiring CBA.

I don't mean to disagree with your point about all the 'ifs', I just don't see the club doing anything drastic financially right now.
I agree. I think we'll end up staying put until something cheap comes our way. I think we value a few players higher than their actual 'ice' value, but know that we can't get much for picks for them, so we hold on to them or try to develop them.

Then we have situations where we re-sign players that are just flat useless. Woywitka comes to mind. What's next, are we going to sign Chris Pronger again because no one else will want him? Sorry, this is just frustrating as heck. I don't get it. Are we trying to win the Cup or fielding the best Ice Capades group in the NHL?