Cam Janssen Makes News (Not In A Good Way)

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Cam Janssen Makes News (Not In A Good Way)

Post by dmiles2186 »

Anyone else hear about this? Be warned, the interview (video) contained in the link contains NSFW language as does the story below. Cam is pretty candid and game for the questions and then he makes a gay joke. Dude is now trending on Twitter and people are latching on to 'the' quote.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2012/7/12/3 ... deo-devils
Cam Janssen Makes Gay Joke, Calls Kings 'Fat Broads You Regret Bangin''

by Travis Hughes • Jul 12, 2012 5:07 PM CDT

It takes a certain kind of personality to be a tough guy in the NHL, but from both personal experience and from what I've heard from many other people, these players typically rank among the most down-to-earth, nicest guys in the league.

It appears as though Cam Janssen might be a little too down to earth, letting the world know his true feelings on several different matters in an interview with a St. Louis radio show earlier this week.

Star-divide

Here's the New Jersey Devils winger on "The Thom & Jeff Show," which, as far as we can tell, is just an Internet radio show. Considering the language (there's your warning), we have to imagine this never found the actual airwaves.

On his Devils losing to the Los Angeles Kings in the Stanley Cup finals:

Host: "The first time I did a fat chick, a buddy picked me up from a party and I was hung over and he goes, 'Do you realize what you just did?' ... I would imagine it's something like that. It's like you had a chance, and then it's like ..."

Janssen: "Damn fat broads, man."

Host: "So the L.A. Kings are the fat broads?"

Janssen: "They are. They're the fat broads that you regret bangin', and I've been there and done that."

On scaring opposing players:

Host: "Are there certain guys that you know you've got the (Frank) on them?"

Janssen: [laughter] "Oh, absolutely. Are you kiddin' me? [more laughter] I love it. And you know what, I respect a lot of the guys and you wanna have people respect you. If you're a fuckin' dipshit out there, you're not going to get any respect and other teams aren't gonna respect you. And if other teams don't respect you, then they're not gonna sign you and it's just kind of a trickle effect.

"But you wanna be scary. You wanna put the fear of fuckin' God in people's eyes, and not just, 'Oh, I'm gonna beat you up' -- no, 'I'm gonna catch you with your fuckin' head down and hurt you because you're not gonna know I'm comin', because I know how to hit.' Fighting guys is one thing because I know, 'Oh, I won't fight you. I'll just turtle.' Whatever. But if you have the puck and you know how to hit and you can hurt guys with hits like I know how to do, that's what puts the fear of God into people."

On trash talk:

Janssen: "There's some shit-talkin' that goes down that pisses some people off. There's a lot of personal shit, man, like, guys know personal shit. ... You wanna get in people's heads to get them off their fuckin' game and don't get me wrong, you don't wanna go too deep with shit because we all have our issues here. Let's be honest."

Host: "But if the guy was suckin' cock four weeks ago, you're gonna let him know about it?"

Janssen: "Oh, if he's suckin' cock, he's gettin' his ass kicked." [laughter]

Give the interviewers credit here: There's plenty of great content in this interview, including talk about how players might deal with a potential lockout, how players deal with each other and lean on each other during offseason workouts, etc.

But man, talk about crossing the line. At least it's a real look into the mind of Cam Janssen -- and, unfortunately, likely the minds of many other players in the NHL -- but sometimes it's best if this stuff just stays out of public view.

You have to imagine that Patrick Burke, the founder of the You Can Play Project, will be furious with the outward homophobia here. You have to imagine that the New Jersey Devils -- the team that just signed Janssen to another one-year contract -- will be furious as well. And the NHL? Well, given the ongoing crackdown when it comes to player safety, a player talking openly about injuring other players may not go over so well.

And as for the repuation of Cam Janssen? Well, this will make him much more popular with some ... but with most, he's now a villain.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Cam Janssen Makes News (Not In A Good Way)

Post by Oaklandblue »

This is what happens when you interview a Goon.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Jackman5
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Jackman5 »

Oaklandblue wrote:This is what happens when you interview a Goon.

But, but Cam is from Eureka so it must be OK, right, right?

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Jackman5 wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:This is what happens when you interview a Goon.

But, but Cam is from Eureka so it must be OK, right, right?
Still a Goon :)
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Oaklandblue wrote:This is what happens when you interview Goon.
I was wondering where Goon has been lately...
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

lol funny yet dumb
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Didn't he play exactly 0 minutes in the playoffs?

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

I'm guessing he was just trying to be funny and said something he shouldn't have. Kind of a loaded question as well. The interviewers kind of set a raunchy tone from the get go and Cam seemed to get sucked in.
Trying to give him the benefit of the doubt here...

Never heard of that show either. I'm guessing 30-40 people in St. Louis may listen to it.

Sent from my HTC Android Rezound using Forum Runner.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

cprice12 wrote: Never heard of that show either. I'm guessing 30-40 people in St. Louis may listen to it.

Right about the same people that think he still belongs in the league!

I had no Idea he had that many family members out there.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

DaDitka wrote:
cprice12 wrote: Never heard of that show either. I'm guessing 30-40 people in St. Louis may listen to it.

Right about the same people that think he still belongs in the league!

I had no Idea he had that many family members out there.
What do you mean he doesn't belong in the NHL, Cam's racked up 750 Penalty Minutes! :grin:

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Who gives a shit? Why is there even a problem with what he said? You use whatever you can to get an edge. If that means offending some politically correct dipshits, oh (Franking) well. This is hockey, not Sesame Street... no matter how much some pansies want it to be. :facepalm:
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

cprice12 wrote: Trying to give him the benefit of the doubt here...
What's the world coming to when a cocksucking joke is considered something to judge somebody on? Jesus (Franking) Christ flush this entire sport and country down the shitter.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

goon attack wrote:Who gives a shit? Why is there even a problem with what he said? You use whatever you can to get an edge. If that means offending some politically correct dipshits, oh (Frank) well. This is hockey, not Sesame Street... no matter how much some pansies want it to be. :facepalm:
Gotta pull this classic out, just for you Goon. Image
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024