Oshie signs a 5 year deal

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Oshie signs a 5 year deal

Post by glen a richter »

Just posted up on Twitter:

St. Louis Blues @StLouisBlues

BREAKING NEWS: The Blues have agreed to terms with T.J. Oshie on a five-year contract. Details coming to stlouisblues.com soon #stlblues

Follow up tweet:

St. Louis Blues @StLouisBlues

Oshie's contract is worth an average of $4.175 million per year. Official press release will be available Friday. #stlblues
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Oshie signs a 5 year deal

Post by theohall »

Good call, DaDitka! I bow to your prognosticating prowess.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

I'm glad we can put this behind us and we've got him locked up for 5 years. While the numbers came in right were we all thought they would, he better kick up that goal production a little. You may think there isn't much of a difference between his 19 goals this year and say 25 next year, but that's a 25% increase.

He's good for the city and the team and always give 100%, so if I was going to go 5 years and IMO pay a guy on the high end of his value...I think Oshie was a safe bet for that investment.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

If you look at the breakdown it looks better, 2012-13 $3.375, 13-14 $4, 14-15 $4.5, 15-16 $4.5, 16-17 $4.5

3.375 isn't bad this year and the 4.5's on the back end may very well be 'cheap' in 4-5 years compared to the rest of the league.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

DaDitka wrote:If you look at the breakdown it looks better, 2012-13 $3.375, 13-14 $4, 14-15 $4.5, 15-16 $4.5, 16-17 $4.5

3.375 isn't bad this year and the 4.5's on the back end may very well be 'cheap' in 4-5 years compared to the rest of the league.
I don't really care what his actual salary is year to year.
The yearly cap hit is what is important...and his cap hit will be less than his actual salary over the last 3 years of the contract.

Yes, it would be nice to see him net a few more goals...and I think he'll be a 25+ goal guy very soon. But folks get too caught up in goals scored. He does so much more for this team than just score goals. I think it's just magnified because this team needs better goal production.

Glad he's locked up for a while. :letsgoblues:
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

If Tank (in a couple years because I don't think anyone expects him to make the jump and score 50 right away) can pot goals on the regular and our offensive woes become a thing of the past, Oshie's actual worth to this team will become very clear to everyone who, at the moment, expects him to do nothing except produce points.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

very good signing for both sides
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

cardsfan04 wrote:very good signing for both sides
:plusplus: Absolutely agreed.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Kerber just tweeted: "Now Oshie, Backes, Perron signed for next 4 yrs together, Tarasenko next 3, Steen next 2, Polak next 4, Jackman next 3, Goalies next 2"

It's not the flashiest, highest-scoring core. But everyone of these guys was brought in either through draft or trade. Smart front office moves that put the right pieces in place. Kudos.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

glen a richter wrote: Oshie's actual worth to this team will become very clear to everyone who, at the moment, expects him to do nothing except produce points.
I don't think Oshie's value should be tied solely to points by no means.....but the points are why he get's 4 mill instead of 2.5.

While I appreciate TJs hard nosed two way play....there are a lot of wingers out there that can offer that. What we hope makes him different and justifies over 4 mill a year is that he produces enough points that it allows you to play that two way forward regularly in your top 6.

He's never going to be the 30+ goal scorer 90% of this board was expecting him to be at this time last year. But a 20+ goal scored that plays as hard as TJ is worth more to me then a one way 30 goal guy who doesn't forecheck and is a liability in the defensive end.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

DaDitka wrote:
glen a richter wrote: Oshie's actual worth to this team will become very clear to everyone who, at the moment, expects him to do nothing except produce points.
I don't think Oshie's value should be tied solely to points by no means.....but the points are why he get's 4 mill instead of 2.5.

While I appreciate TJs hard nosed two way play....there are a lot of wingers out there that can offer that. What we hope makes him different and justifies over 4 mill a year is that he produces enough points that it allows you to play that two way forward regularly in your top 6.

He's never going to be the 30+ goal scorer 90% of this board was expecting him to be at this time last year. But a 20+ goal scored that plays as hard as TJ is worth more to me then a one way 30 goal guy who doesn't forecheck and is a liability in the defensive end.
He's had injury issues his first couple years in the league as well. Might have slowed his development some as far as goal scoring goes.
I don't think anyone can dispute that he has the skills to hit 30 goals at some point during this 5 year contract. Whether he does or not is a different story.
He hasn't reached his prime yet. So if he elevates his play and matures some more, this could be a very nice contract in a year or two.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

I like it. Oshie is my sons' favorite player, so it's good to see he'll be around for them to watch for some more years.

Although I suspect they like him because his name rhymes with "Yoshi."

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

dmiles2186 wrote:Kerber just tweeted: "Now Oshie, Backes, Perron signed for next 4 yrs together, Tarasenko next 3, Steen next 2, Polak next 4, Jackman next 3, Goalies next 2"

It's not the flashiest, highest-scoring core. But everyone of these guys was brought in either through draft or trade. Smart front office moves that put the right pieces in place. Kudos.
This makes me smile. We've shown the league last year that it doesn't have to be two guys scoring 50 and then a drop off to the next highest producer being 10 to be successful in this league. Nothing wrong with scoring by committee. We're deep and we're good and we're (relatively) cheap. Love it.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Kurker seems to be sort of in the same mold as well. We'll see.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

4 million? he probably makes that money back and more in jerseys, autographs, etc..
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:Kerber just tweeted: "Now Oshie, Backes, Perron signed for next 4 yrs together, Tarasenko next 3, Steen next 2, Polak next 4, Jackman next 3, Goalies next 2"

This makes me smile. We've shown the league last year that it doesn't have to be two guys scoring 50 and then a drop off to the next highest producer being 10 to be successful in this league. Nothing wrong with scoring by committee. We're deep and we're good and we're (relatively) cheap. Love it.
It's successful in the regular season. Playoffs? Not so much. Someone has to be capable of stepping up when the competition gets stiffer and none of the Blues forward lines did that vs LA. Don't even bring up Stewie's one-game effort which should have been there from Game 1 of the SJ series.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

25's one game effort should have been there from game one of the season, forget just game one of the SJ series.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

STLADOGG wrote:4 million? he probably makes that money back and more in jerseys, autographs, etc..
Exactly...me and a guy at work were talking before he signed, we both thought 3.5 max.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

theohall wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:

It's successful in the regular season. Playoffs? Not so much. Someone has to be capable of stepping up when the competition gets stiffer and none of the Blues forward lines did that vs LA. Don't even bring up Stewie's one-game effort which should have been there from Game 1 of the SJ series.
We also played the 2012 playoff version of the L.A. Kings. Just sayin.

And I took the defeat of the Sharks as a huge positive. They had plenty of playoff experience and we simply don't. We needed that this year to grow for the next.

NOW I'll be disappointed not making it to at least the conference finals :lol:
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

I'm not an Oshie fan, feel free to hate. But I like how his contract is structured, even though I feel he's abit overpaid; did he work harder due to having a one-year 'make it happen or go away' contract and he wanted to be guranteed big money or because he wants to win. After watching a lot of videos of his play, and seeing his middle-of-the-road stats, I have to agree with everyone: His numbers are very, very deceptive.

Provided he doesn't become an injury case based on past injuries (we seem to attract those abit too frequently), I think this was a solid and good contract that'll do nothing but help us without screwing up our Cap or any cap lowering the league winds up doing.

And I'm not an Oshie fan.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!