Blues article on PHT..

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Blues article on PHT..

Post by DaDitka »

Despite new ownership, Blues face challenges
Jason Brough Jul 18, 2012, 3:48 PM EDT
Leave a comment

If you didn’t hear, it’s St. Louis Blues day on PHT. (Fireworks show to follow.) As part of our look at the surprise team of the 2011-12 season, we’d be remiss to overlook its new ownership group.

In May, a collection of local investors led by former minority owner Tom Stillman was formally announced as proprietors, thus closing the book on a tenuous time in franchise history.

“We know the future is extraordinarily bright,” said NHL commissioner Gary Bettman at the announcement. “The balance sheet looks much, much better, much, much stronger.”

But a better-looking balance sheet isn’t expected to turn the small-market Blues into big spenders.

“I don’t see us being a cap team any time soon, but we definitely can compete,” Stillman told the St. Louis Dispatch recently. “If I thought we couldn’t put a contending team on the ice, I wouldn’t have done this.”

Perhaps the Blues can get closer to the cap if the new CBA includes more revenue-sharing, i.e. big-market teams increasing their subsidies to small-market teams.

However, there will always be a divide of a certain size between rich and poor in the NHL.

Not that the Blues are poor – cost-conscious is probably a better way to put it.

St. Louis reportedly pursued defensemen Jason Garrison and Matt Carle in free agency, but was unable to sign either. Whether money played a part in that, we don’t know. There were certainly other factors at play. For example, Garrison took a hometown discount to join the Canucks.

Another challenge for management in its pursuit of free agents is location. There’s nothing wrong with St. Louis, but if a player want to live the glamorous life, it’s hard to compete with New York City. If he wants to be recognized on every street corner, a Canadian city is the place to go. And if he doesn’t like freezing in the winter, there are warmer places than eastern Missouri.

Ken Hitchcock’s conservative coaching style may also be a deterrent, particularly for players with an offensive bent.

But that’s not Stillman’s responsibility.

“My responsibility is to the franchise and its health today and its stability long-term,” he said. “I have to make decisions based on that. That shouldn’t be read to mean that we’re not doing anything because we’ve got to be safe. Part of those considerations are ‘What do we have to do to put a competitive, contending team on the ice?’ But I believe we have provided a budget level to the hockey guys that enables them to put a competitive, contending team on the ice. At the same time, as (Blues GM Doug Armstrong) always says, we’re always looking for ways to improve our team and we will continue to do that. But we are in a good position.”
I think Hitch's system would be much more of an obstacle than location....for a scoring forward. But the two players mentioned above are defensemen and I think the system/coach may actually be a plus when trying to pursue them.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Blues article on PHT..

Post by thedoc »

If location is such a turn off to players, why do so many decide to live here after they are done playing? I guess it's just the Midwest getting no love.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

Cheap housing.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I call BS on the location thing. If you're a GOOD team, and a good player, you're a rock star, regardless of where you're at because people care and the fans go to the games.

St. Louis is half a state away from Chicago. Prior to their recent explosion very few people cared about the team. The Hawks get decent, signed Hossa, Huet and Campbell to mega term contracts. And Chicago is far from the only example on marginal locations. Pittsburgh? D.C.? They're retaining their big names and unless you like 100% humidity all year I don't know why you'd live in D.C. The location thing is a crock of sh*t IMO.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

WaukeeBlues wrote:I call BS on the location thing. If you're a GOOD team, and a good player, you're a rock star, regardless of where you're at because people care and the fans go to the games.

St. Louis is half a state away from Chicago. Prior to their recent explosion very few people cared about the team. The Hawks get decent, signed Hossa, Huet and Campbell to mega term contracts. And Chicago is far from the only example on marginal locations. Pittsburgh? D.C.? They're retaining their big names and unless you like 100% humidity all year I don't know why you'd live in D.C. The location thing is a crock of sh*t IMO.

I don't know...I buy into it a bit......St. Louis isn't the gateway to the west, it's that armpit of America.

However, that said....if a guy is more concerned about the off ice details then he is the on ice detail....I'm not sure that is a guy I'm looking to break the bank for.

I believe where it does hurt is with wives........many pro-athletes are no different then us 'average men' and if mama aint happy, no body is happy. Unless she has an emotional attachment or family in the area...not many wives are going to want to move to St. Louis if the dollars are the same to go to even Chicago, DC, Dallas or Denver. We're probably more inline with Columbus and Minnesota with some of the least desirable cities to live in (with NHL teams).

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

DaDitka wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:I call BS on the location thing. If you're a GOOD team, and a good player, you're a rock star, regardless of where you're at because people care and the fans go to the games.

I don't know...I buy into it a bit......St. Louis isn't the gateway to the west, it's that armpit of America.
Obviously you've never been to North Jersey. Or is St. Louis just the other armpit?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

glen a richter wrote:
DaDitka wrote:

Obviously you've never been to North Jersey. Or is St. Louis just the other armpit?

There's always two......or at least more often then not.

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

DaDitka wrote:

However, that said....if a guy is more concerned about the off ice details then he is the on ice detail....I'm not sure that is a guy I'm looking to break the bank for.

I believe where it does hurt is with wives........many pro-athletes are no different then us 'average men' and if mama aint happy, no body is happy. Unless she has an emotional attachment or family in the area...not many wives are going to want to move to St. Louis if the dollars are the same to go to even Chicago, DC, Dallas or Denver. We're probably more inline with Columbus and Minnesota with some of the least desirable cities to live in (with NHL teams).
Don't forget where most of these guys come from. Minneapolis/St. Paul >>>>>>>> STL for desirability. Hate to say it but it's true.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

fargoblues wrote:
DaDitka wrote:

Don't forget where most of these guys come from. Minneapolis/St. Paul >>>>>>>> STL for desirability. Hate to say it but it's true.
All one has to do is look at a historic record of how many times Bon Jovi has performed in a particular city to choose which is most desirable. Isn't that right, Fargo? :lol:

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

glen a richter wrote:
fargoblues wrote:
DaDitka wrote:

All one has to do is look at a historic record of how many times Bon Jovi has performed in a particular city to choose which is most desirable. Isn't that right, Fargo? :lol:
Very true. One could also look at proximity to Stratford, Ontario, Canada as an index of how happy wives (and tween girls, and Glen) will be. Say, that's not terribly far from New York, is it?
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

fargoblues wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
fargoblues wrote:
DaDitka wrote:

Very true. One could also look at proximity to Stratford, Ontario, Canada as an index of how happy wives (and tween girls, and Glen) will be. Say, that's not terribly far from New York, is it?
I've never been, there is nothing and nobody in or from Stratford, Ontario, Canada who is of any interest to me. You must know someone there, though. :P

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

glen a richter wrote:
fargoblues wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
fargoblues wrote:
DaDitka wrote:

I've never been, there is nothing and nobody in or from Stratford, Ontario, Canada who is of any interest to me. You must know someone there, though. :P
:D Nope, but I'll be your wife does :okman:

:firedevil:

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

After players retire, they can live anywhere they want. They've seen the entire country and have the cash to live anywhere.
But an unusually high number of former Blues players choose to live in St. Louis when they retire.
The St. Louis area is a perfectly fine place to live. Every city has trouble spots are not so nice areas...St. Louis is no exception, but just like in a lot of other cities, there are plenty of nice areas to live in the St. Louis area too.
I guess some players like the small town feel that St. Louis has. It also helps that the city is wild about sports and the athletes that play here.

I always find it humorous how some folks seem to think that wherever they are, kinda sucks compared to most places when that honestly isn't really the case most of the time. Grass is greener syndrome I guess...except if you live in Detroit, then your grass is brown and dead, making all grass everywhere much greener...even in this drought.

I've lived in the St. Louis area most of my life. I like it here. 8)
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

St. Louis falls in a pretty nice sweet spot between big city and small town.

It's big enough to have nice restaurants, stuff to do, concerts, etc... but not so big as to have insane traffic, ridiculous real estate, etc...

Plus hockey is big enough here that you can feel like a celebrity, but small enough that you can probably put on a hat and just go about your business most of the time.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

kodos wrote:St. Louis falls in a pretty nice sweet spot between big city and small town.

It's big enough to have nice restaurants, stuff to do, concerts, etc... but not so big as to have insane traffic, ridiculous real estate, etc...

Plus hockey is big enough here that you can feel like a celebrity, but small enough that you can probably put on a hat and just go about your business most of the time.
That's exactly why I love St. Louis. I went to college in Quincy, IL and, while it's a nice town, it's too small for me to live permanently. But, Chicago/New York/LA are too big.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

fargoblues wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
fargoblues wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
fargoblues wrote:
DaDitka wrote:

She can hang out with your wife fangirling over no-talent hacks.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

cprice12 wrote:After players retire, they can live anywhere they want. They've seen the entire country and have the cash to live anywhere.
But an unusually high number of former Blues players choose to live in St. Louis when they retire.
The St. Louis area is a perfectly fine place to live. Every city has trouble spots are not so nice areas...St. Louis is no exception, but just like in a lot of other cities, there are plenty of nice areas to live in the St. Louis area too.
I guess some players like the small town feel that St. Louis has. It also helps that the city is wild about sports and the athletes that play here.

I always find it humorous how some folks seem to think that wherever they are, kinda sucks compared to most places when that honestly isn't really the case most of the time. Grass is greener syndrome I guess...except if you live in Detroit, then your grass is brown and dead, making all grass everywhere much greener...even in this drought.

I've lived in the St. Louis area most of my life. I like it here. 8)
I enjoyed the brief few days I spent in St. Louis although I'm sure it would have been nicer if the whole city wasn't buried under a foot of ice and we had a rental car for getting to places away from the Metrolink. Yeah, there were definitely some hoods on the train, but that's no different than in New York, just that we have a much larger concentration of them on a much larger rail system. The nice people in St. Louis were definitely much friendlier and helpful than the nicest people in New York though, that's for shit sure. I couldn't even imagine being a tourist in NYC and trying to get help from some of the schmucks we have walking around. They're even dicks to the locals, forget about outsiders.

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

glen a richter wrote:
fargoblues wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
fargoblues wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
fargoblues wrote: Don't forget where most of these guys come from. Minneapolis/St. Paul >>>>>>>> STL for desirability. Hate to say it but it's true.

Does that mean we can get the hockey tickets? it's a deal!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

fargoblues wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
fargoblues wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
fargoblues wrote:
glen a richter wrote: All one has to do is look at a historic record of how many times Bon Jovi has performed in a particular city to choose which is most desirable. Isn't that right, Fargo? :lol:

Does that mean we can get the hockey tickets? it's a deal!
Works for me.

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Psht, I'd retire to Salt Lake City, at least they can get a (Franking) Iron Maiden show... St. Louis OY!
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?