How about bringing up the AHL players to play instead?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

How about bringing up the AHL players to play instead?

Post by xbleed83bluex »

If the NHL hiatus ends up going on long term, I would be fine with it if they brought up AHL players to play in the NHL's place. That is, if the AHL isn't affiliated with the NHL's same collective bargaining agreement, and I assume they're not. I know the idea of bringing in replacement players has been floating around, but why not the AHL players? If it turns out the no agreement is reached, then cancel the AHL season, and each NHL team can bring up their AHL farm team to play in their place.

From the executive side of the things, this would save the NHL tons of salary. I mean, you'd have "star" players making approx 500K a year yet playing in the NHL. And this would benefit AHL players as well, as it gives them a chance to shine and prove their worth. And we won't have to worry about the lack of star power on our team, since every other team will be equalized out.

Would you be okay with this as an alternative? It's better than nothing - and I'm surprised this hasn't been floating around. Thoughts?
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Re: How about bringing up the AHL players to play instead?

Post by sseagle »

The players aren't striking, they are locked out. That is a world of difference.
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: How about bringing up the AHL players to play instead?

Post by kodos »

I would think that the vast majority of AHL players have some form of NHL contract in place and are governed by the players union.