JD Is Leaving the Blues

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: JD Is Leaving the Blues

Post by glen a richter »

It was supposed to be a rhetorical question, not a question designed to invite ways to ruin my day even more. Thanks guys. :(
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

glen a richter wrote:It was supposed to be a rhetorical question, not a question designed to invite ways to ruin my day even more. Thanks guys. :(
:letsgoblues: :lol:

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

Does anyone know what this is about?

I'm confused about this. Why did the Blues organization want to get rid of JD if he still had years on his contract? Were they unhappy with JD's performance? I was under the impression JD was top-notch. Is this a salary issue? Does the organization feel Armstrong can handle both the president and general manager position by himself?
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

xbleed83bluex wrote:Does anyone know what this is about?

I'm confused about this. Why did the Blues organization want to get rid of JD if he still had years on his contract? Were they unhappy with JD's performance? I was under the impression JD was top-notch. Is this a salary issue? Does the organization feel Armstrong can handle both the president and general manager position by himself?
The company line has been that it's a cost cutting measure. JD was making 2 million a year. Whether that's true or not, who is to say?

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

We'll find someone who will be president, like Hull or Al MacInnis, and wait for it... wait for it.. its like a trade!

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

Winning Unlimited wrote:We'll find someone who will be president, like Hull or Al MacInnis, and wait for it... wait for it.. its like a trade!
I thought Armstrong was going to handle the position of president. If we replace JD with someone else, then we might as well of kept him. If he is replaced then I guess it's really not an issue of salary...
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

And it just keeps getting better and better:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... --nhl.html
Is John Davidson on track to take over Blue Jackets?

Maybe it's because we're unabashed fans of his broadcasting career and results with the St. Louis Blues, but John Davidson could have a transformative effect on the Columbus Blue Jackets' franchise.

They don't need another Rick Nash — they need a hockey man at the top of the food chain that can take a team in a near-constant state of rebuilding and set it on course for sustained success.

Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch reported on Friday morning that the long-awaited talks between Davidson, who recently stepped down as president of the Blues, and Columbus brass will begin this weekend.

From the Dispatch:

It's unclear how Davidson would fit within the Blue Jackets' hockey operations department, but it's widely assumed around the NHL that he would need the promise of complete autonomy, just as he had with the Blues since joining them as president in 2006.
In that scenario, Davidson would likely assume the title of president of hockey operations, giving him authority of general manager Scott Howson and all hockey decisions. Priest could switch strictly to the business side of the organization, while retaining his rights to serve on the NHL board of governors.

Priest's bio is pretty indicative of a guy that'd rather just run the numbers side of things.

So the wheels are turning on John Davidson to the Blue Jackets. Which is a good thing. Here's Matt Wagner of The Cannon with some cautious optimism:

Based on his experience, resume, and tenure, it's not unreasonable to expect Davidson to command a salary in the high six figures, perhaps even seven. That doesn't seem so bad compared to, say, $5.5 million dollars for James Wisniewski's paycheck, but the lockout complicates things.
As it stands, the Blue Jackets are cutting the work weeks for their front office staff to save money while the team effectively has no access to their primary source of income. To add that financial demand, even if the team "saved" by perhaps reassigning Mike Priest back to Worthington Industries and using the money earmarked for his salary to pay J.D., is a risky move, especially if the lockout eventually threatens the entire season.

True, but few in hockey would say he's not worth the money.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

JD has been announced as the president of hockey operations for Columbus.

Great pick up for them.

I suspected that letting JD go would end up biting us in the ass, and now that he's in charge of building a division rival, we will see what happens.

Happy for him, and happy for the fans in Columbus.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:JD has been announced as the president of hockey operations for Columbus.

Great pick up for them.

I suspected that letting JD go would end up biting us in the ass, and now that he's in charge of building a division rival, we will see what happens.

Happy for him, and happy for the fans in Columbus.
Hopefully for our sake Columbus will move into the East.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Question become who is taking over for JD. His replacement might end up being the one that gets us to the next step. With the way the front office has ran things of late (Hired Hitch, acquired Elliott, etc. etc.), I have a great deal of faith in their wisdom. One step at a time, one piece at a time.

Now if we can only get a CBA signed...
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

Those "good calls" you are citing... wasn't that JD? Cause he's the brains of the operation as near as I can tell.

I am not optimistic until I know who is running the show.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:Those "good calls" you are citing... wasn't that JD? Cause he's the brains of the operation as near as I can tell.

I don't think any one person pulls the trigger on something like this; from scouts to upper management and even to the ownership, I think this is all done by committee and a decision is reached. I don't think JD operates on his own, but if thats the case and looking at everyone we got while he was with us, then we could very well be screwed. But I don't think such is the case and if he was really that valuable, I would believe the organization would have handed him a blank check and told him to go to the bank.

There's more to the story than what we are seeing, that's obvious. Question is how will it affect us after we're playing hockey. And if this is the worst case scenario and JD was our savior, then I feel what he left us with, players and staff-wise, is enough to mount a serious threat on the ice, once we start playing again.

Our future is bright.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Oaklandblue wrote:
not_a_wings_fan wrote:Those "good calls" you are citing... wasn't that JD? Cause he's the brains of the operation as near as I can tell.

I don't think any one person pulls the trigger on something like this; from scouts to upper management and even to the ownership, I think this is all done by committee and a decision is reached. I don't think JD operates on his own, but if thats the case and looking at everyone we got while he was with us, then we could very well be screwed. But I don't think such is the case and if he was really that valuable, I would believe the organization would have handed him a blank check and told him to go to the bank.

There's more to the story than what we are seeing, that's obvious. Question is how will it affect us after we're playing hockey. And if this is the worst case scenario and JD was our savior, then I feel what he left us with, players and staff-wise, is enough to mount a serious threat on the ice, IF we EVER start playing again.

Our future is bright.
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?