Start of the Boycott

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey.

Moderator: LGB Mods

Start of the Boycott

Postby dr313 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:45 pm

I know most people are going to call me crazy for this, but that is fine. I have taken the Just Drop It pledge that states, for every game after December 21st that the league takes from me, I in return, will take one from them. That means No games, either in person or on TV and no purchasing of Merchandise. The League did more than just take our games away they fought over our money that we pay them to have a league.
Don't get me wrong I am a die hard Blues fan and want nothing more than to see this young team raise the Cup. But this is the third lockout in recent history. I have been with this team since 86' and have been loyal through the bad times and the good times, but enough is enough. I am not saying that I want everyone to follow me and do as I do. I wouldn't dare. I am not saying this as a sympathy vote either. I am saying this because, I will be back in full force after the first ten games. I will pull my jersey back out from the back of the closet and pull my rally towel out from a box with all the other suspended Blues Merchandise, and will see you at the games and in the bars to root for the team that we all love. I can't wait for the day that I can stand up from my seat (whether it be home or at the Scott Trade Center) and shout from the top of my lungs LETS GO BLUES!!!
User avatar
dr313
Rookie
Rookie
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:31 pm
Location: Highland IL

Re: Start of the Boycott

Postby F Keenan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:26 pm

That'll show 'em.
Image

*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.
User avatar
F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 2163
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:10 am
Location: Kirkwood, MO

Re: Start of the Boycott

Postby theohall » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:49 pm

So you intend to screw over the Blues who had players (3 of them) actively working to end the lockout and had a brand new owner who wanted nothing to do with a lockout and being the most junior owner couldn't have done crap about it anyway. Bravo to you for screwing the Blues.

If you would like to actually boycott the owners that were behind most of this crap, boycott Minnesota, Philly, Boston, and Washington. There are a couple of others, but I am too lazy to look it up right now.
(FRANK) the Kings!!!!
User avatar
theohall
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 3653
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:49 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Re: Start of the Boycott

Postby dr313 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:36 pm

It was an NHL lockout therefore all the teams had a part even the players. I am not a sheep and won't go back just because someone says that they are sorry. And do you not realize that as a fan You too got screwed over for the last 6 months? As far as boycotting the other teams, I do that on a daily basis. Like I said I am a Blues fan.

Its not going to ruin the game or even the team by the 23,000 of us boycotting 10 games across the league. But it will have them think that maybe they should consider the fans next time they decide to lock out in 10 years.

Here is the link to the FB page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Drop ... 1678699361
User avatar
dr313
Rookie
Rookie
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:31 pm
Location: Highland IL

Re: Start of the Boycott

Postby theohall » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:58 pm

dr313 wrote:It was an NHL lockout therefore all the teams had a part even the players. I am not a sheep and won't go back just because someone says that they are sorry. And do you not realize that as a fan You too got screwed over for the last 6 months? As far as boycotting the other teams, I do that on a daily basis. Like I said I am a Blues fan.

Its not going to ruin the game or even the team by the 23,000 of us boycotting 10 games across the league. But it will have them think that maybe they should consider the fans next time they decide to lock out in 10 years.

Here is the link to the FB page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Drop ... 1678699361


I didn't get screwed due to the actions of the St Louis Blues or the Blues players. I got screwed by a select few very greedy, hypocritical owners and Gary Bettman. I am NOT going to punish my team which has done all of the right things, but do not intend to do anything to support the Wild, the Bruins, or the Capitals. Go ahead and lump in the Blues with the group, but that is an extremely uninformed decision based on what actually happened and how the Blues players did their damnedest to get this to end against a very small set of idiotic owners. Why punish the Blues?? That's the point. Go ahead and call it an NHL lockout. That doesn't mean every team owner wanted a damn lockout - certainly not a brand new owner with a team on the cusp of actually competing for a Stanley Cup. But do whatever you believe is right. I for one, will support the Blues period - without any BS caveats about taking away a game here or there. The Blues ownership and players deserve that support for their actions in actually working during the lockout to end it and being an organization that did not do things which led to the lockout in the first place. There are lots of players and owners who didn't do a damn thing and those are the ones deserving of being boycotted in addition to the hypocritical ass-hats trying to get out of the mega-contracts they offered.
(FRANK) the Kings!!!!
User avatar
theohall
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 3653
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:49 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Re: Start of the Boycott

Postby F Keenan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:20 pm

dr313 wrote:It was an NHL lockout therefore all the teams had a part even the players. I am not a sheep and won't go back just because someone says that they are sorry. And do you not realize that as a fan You too got screwed over for the last 6 months? As far as boycotting the other teams, I do that on a daily basis. Like I said I am a Blues fan.

Its not going to ruin the game or even the team by the 23,000 of us boycotting 10 games across the league. But it will have them think that maybe they should consider the fans next time they decide to lock out in 10 years.

Here is the link to the FB page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Drop ... 1678699361


How aboutz u boycott teh hockies on teh intrawebs then to!
Image

*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.
User avatar
F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 2163
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:10 am
Location: Kirkwood, MO

Re: Start of the Boycott

Postby dr313 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:10 pm

Look, I didn't come in here saying that you are stupid if you go back to support the Blues. So please don't come in here chastising my decision. They can have my support once the 10 game boycott is over. Want to know who really got screwed, the local bars and restaurants that make money off of the 82 games, and the people who work for the Blues that got laid off or wages cut because of the lockout. Furthermore congratulations to the three players that were tirelessly working on getting a deal done... where where the other 20+ players? I am sorry that you are taking this personal, I had no idea that you were also in the board rooms and have so much insight to what was actually taking place vs all the reports/quotes/information that the rest of the world was getting.

please do not troll my post. there is both and intelligent and unintelligent way to disagree.
User avatar
dr313
Rookie
Rookie
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:31 pm
Location: Highland IL

Re: Start of the Boycott

Postby cprice12 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:58 pm

I think we should get one thing straight.
Stillman voted in favor of locking out the players.
The vote to lockout the players was unanimous.
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8374747/nhl-commissioner-gary-bettman-receives-unanimous-vote-owners-support-league-imposed-lockout
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman received a unanimous vote from owners Thursday in support of a league-imposed lockout should no deal be reached by midnight ET Saturday.


Just because Stillman just took over the team, doesn't mean he was against the lockout. It's probably quite the opposite. He probably wants the best possible situation for himself and his investors, especially since the Blues struggle to make money.

And just because the Blues had three players involved in the negotiations, what does that mean? How does that somehow imply they weren't part of the problem? I'm not saying they were, but there were A LOT of players involved in the negotiations (too many IMO).

I don't care what others do. Boycott or no boycott. I completely understand why someone would want to boycott and I completely understand why someone wouldn't want to. However, to imply that Stillman was against the lockout is just wrong...and to imply that the Blues players involved in the negotiations were trying to be peacemakers so a deal could get done, is just hearsay...unless someone provides a link.
Image
Image
User avatar
cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19443
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Location: Center Ice

Re: Start of the Boycott

Postby F Keenan » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:04 am

dr313 wrote:Look, I didn't come in here saying that you are stupid if you go back to support the Blues. So please don't come in here chastising my decision. They can have my support once the 10 game boycott is over. Want to know who really got screwed, the local bars and restaurants that make money off of the 82 games, and the people who work for the Blues that got laid off or wages cut because of the lockout. Furthermore congratulations to the three players that were tirelessly working on getting a deal done... where where the other 20+ players? I am sorry that you are taking this personal, I had no idea that you were also in the board rooms and have so much insight to what was actually taking place vs all the reports/quotes/information that the rest of the world was getting.

please do not troll my post. there is both and intelligent and unintelligent way to disagree.


:lol: Lighten up n00b. If you want to boycott, go for it. I just don't see the point. What are you looking for, the rest of us to grab our pitchforks and join up with your posse?
Image

*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.
User avatar
F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 2163
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:10 am
Location: Kirkwood, MO

Re: Start of the Boycott

Postby Oaklandblue » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:33 am

QUESTION:

Who was the legal owner of the Blues at the time of the vote?

Just because Stillman was considered the new owner does not mean he was the new owner 'on the books'. We've all read about this deal and that deal and that step, etc. in the process to buy the team, but at what point on the books with the NHL was Stillman LEGALLY considered the team's owner?

Maybe he was, but just because it was a vote doesn't mean Stillman was legally allowed to cast one. Previous management may have been the Owners 'Of Record' and may have been the ones to actually cast the vote.

And if my memory isn't shoddy (And ofthentimes it is), the Blues were the only team sold last year.

Thoughts?
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Image
Oaklandblue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
 
Posts: 718
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:20 pm

Re: Start of the Boycott

Postby dr313 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:15 pm

July 7, 2012 I believe. But don't quote me on that sir.
User avatar
dr313
Rookie
Rookie
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:31 pm
Location: Highland IL

Re: Start of the Boycott

Postby DaDitka » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:30 pm

Look, all the owners were for the lockout......the structure was broken, even the players admitted as much by accepting these new terms. Where the owners opinions differed was on what terms they would accept and more importantly at what pace they would negotiate. The fat cats were far more willing to drag out the process, they felt they could withstand the burden, and gain better terms in the CBA. Not to mention many of the bigger teams have waiting lists for season tickets and were not as worried about losing sales.

Of course the Blues were for the lock out, and wanted a new CBA...but I highly doubt they wanted it to go that long
Image

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund
User avatar
DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 2800
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:21 pm
Location: sailing with the Captain

Re: Start of the Boycott

Postby not_a_wings_fan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:14 pm

dr313 wrote:please do not troll my post. there is both and intelligent and unintelligent way to disagree.


It would seem this is your first voyage on to the intarweb toobs...

Welcome to the board, yada, yada...

But seriously, the majority of the content on the intarwebs that is not porn is trolling and unintelligent disagreement. If you don't like that, you're in the wrong place.
Official 2008-2013 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman
Official 2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman
User avatar
not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 3081
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:27 pm
Location: Anywhere but here

Re: Start of the Boycott

Postby dr313 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:59 pm

not_a_wings_fan wrote:
It would seem this is your first voyage on to the intarweb toobs...

Welcome to the board, yada, yada...

But seriously, the majority of the content on the intarwebs that is not porn is trolling and unintelligent disagreement. If you don't like that, you're in the wrong place.


Umm no not my first time on the interwebs. Just saying that not every post needs a troll or two. Perhaps I thought that Blues fans as a whole were a little open minded... :doh: muh bad
User avatar
dr313
Rookie
Rookie
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:31 pm
Location: Highland IL

Re: Start of the Boycott

Postby cprice12 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:34 pm

DaDitka wrote:Look, all the owners were for the lockout......the structure was broken, even the players admitted as much by accepting these new terms. Where the owners opinions differed was on what terms they would accept and more importantly at what pace they would negotiate. The fat cats were far more willing to drag out the process, they felt they could withstand the burden, and gain better terms in the CBA. Not to mention many of the bigger teams have waiting lists for season tickets and were not as worried about losing sales.

Of course the Blues were for the lock out, and wanted a new CBA...but I highly doubt they wanted it to go that long


Nobody wanted it to go that long.
But make no bones about it, the owners wanted a lockout. All of them.
Image
Image
User avatar
cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19443
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Location: Center Ice

Re: Start of the Boycott

Postby cprice12 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:37 pm

dr313 wrote:
not_a_wings_fan wrote:
It would seem this is your first voyage on to the intarweb toobs...

Welcome to the board, yada, yada...

But seriously, the majority of the content on the intarwebs that is not porn is trolling and unintelligent disagreement. If you don't like that, you're in the wrong place.


Umm no not my first time on the interwebs. Just saying that not every post needs a troll or two. Perhaps I thought that Blues fans as a whole were a little open minded... :doh: muh bad


I fail to see how anyone is trolling your post. I see some passionate disagreements though.

Take it easy guys.
We're all on the same team. I haven't had to moderate/remove posts in quite a while...I'd rather not start now.

Thanks.
Image
Image
User avatar
cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19443
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Location: Center Ice

Re: Start of the Boycott

Postby SteveO » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:19 pm

FWIW I cancelled my tickets this year. The guys I previously split them with were going to upgrade locations for a half season and I was just going to take the pair back over myself.

I cancelled. Bought a new tv with my $$ and I'll watch from home.

No NHL games for me this year and I can already tell it's killing me not to be there.

My own little personal protest and I have no doubt someone new will be enjoying my seats this year.
User avatar
SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue
 
Posts: 5479
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:08 am
Location: Lockout Hell

Re: Start of the Boycott

Postby dr313 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Prngr44 wrote:FWIW I cancelled my tickets this year. The guys I previously split them with were going to upgrade locations for a half season and I was just going to take the pair back over myself.

I cancelled. Bought a new tv with my $$ and I'll watch from home.

No NHL games for me this year and I can already tell it's killing me not to be there.

My own little personal protest and I have no doubt someone new will be enjoying my seats this year.


I think its a pain we are all going through this year. I have even thought as far as DVRing all the games so that way the stations don't get credit for the view... But I don't think I am going to do that.
User avatar
dr313
Rookie
Rookie
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:31 pm
Location: Highland IL

Re: Start of the Boycott

Postby Nyghtewynd » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:36 pm

I am seriously so torn by this. On one hand, I hate the lockout. On the other hand, I was excited the second the schedule was announced. It's like a reflex.

I don't think I can bring myself to actually pay money for tickets yet. But I'm going to watch the games.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.


Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.
User avatar
Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow
 
Posts: 4500
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:41 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Start of the Boycott

Postby Jackman5 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:45 am

dr313 wrote:I know most people are going to call me crazy for this, but that is fine. I have taken the Just Drop It pledge that states, for every game after December 21st that the league takes from me, I in return, will take one from them. That means No games, either in person or on TV and no purchasing of Merchandise. The League did more than just take our games away they fought over our money that we pay them to have a league.
Don't get me wrong I am a die hard Blues fan and want nothing more than to see this young team raise the Cup. But this is the third lockout in recent history. I have been with this team since 86' and have been loyal through the bad times and the good times, but enough is enough. I am not saying that I want everyone to follow me and do as I do. I wouldn't dare. I am not saying this as a sympathy vote either. I am saying this because, I will be back in full force after the first ten games. I will pull my jersey back out from the back of the closet and pull my rally towel out from a box with all the other suspended Blues Merchandise, and will see you at the games and in the bars to root for the team that we all love. I can't wait for the day that I can stand up from my seat (whether it be home or at the Scott Trade Center) and shout from the top of my lungs LETS GO BLUES!!!



That's nice for you.
Image
User avatar
Jackman5
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
 
Posts: 519
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 10:43 am

Next

Return to St. Louis Blues Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ecbm, ProngerBlues44 and 9 guests