Subban and Petro

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Subban and Petro

Post by APOD »

So if subban gets 6mil per on 6 years this year were does that put petro.

I'm thinking 5.5mil per on 6 years and Shattenkirk gets 3.6mil on 6 years

Maybe we should just offer Subban 6 years 28.8mil/4.8 mil a year if he takes then we have a good defenseman and we keep petro's in check and shattenkirks around 3mil.

Maybe I'm really not thinking this through though lol
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Subban and Petro

Post by dmiles2186 »

On JR's chat today, he said he thought Petro would get 8 yr max at 6-7 mil per. I'd say that's probably about right. You'd think if Petro wants to stay here, he'd go for the max term, but you never know. Just read today that Jamie Benn is seeking only 3-5 years after being offered a max term deal.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

dmiles2186 wrote:On JR's chat today, he said he thought Petro would get 8 yr max at 6-7 mil per. I'd say that's probably about right. You'd think if Petro wants to stay here, he'd go for the max term, but you never know. Just read today that Jamie Benn is seeking only 3-5 years after being offered a max term deal.
I'd be shocked if we sign Petro for 8 years. I was thinking 5 or 6 years. 8 years would be very unusual for the Blues.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

How are teams going to stay under the cap when they're paying money like that, tho? Didn't they shrink the cap down?

Much as I love Subban and would pull teeth to have him wear Blue, to me he's not worth 6m and I say that because Backes and AMac are our top two paid players and they get the low/mid 4m and they earn every penny of it. I can't see how a team can be competative by paying out 5+ to a player who isn't the teams top playmaker, top netminder or Captain.

Or is there some math or dynamic to the signings that cuts the Cap or does some sort of special accounting?
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

tjk002
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by tjk002 »

Oaklandblue wrote:How are teams going to stay under the cap when they're paying money like that, tho? Didn't they shrink the cap down?

Much as I love Subban and would pull teeth to have him wear Blue, to me he's not worth 6m and I say that because Backes and AMac are our top two paid players and they get the low/mid 4m and they earn every penny of it. I can't see how a team can be competative by paying out 5+ to a player who isn't the teams top playmaker, top netminder or Captain.

Or is there some math or dynamic to the signings that cuts the Cap or does some sort of special accounting?
Exactly, can't pay anyone more than Backes unless is Crosby. Right now, the Blues have built the team around him. He is the face of the franchise in more ways than one.

Blob Mackenzie
Prospect
Prospect

Post by Blob Mackenzie »

APOD wrote:So if subban gets 6mil per on 6 years this year were does that put petro.

Maybe we should just offer Subban 6 years 28.8mil/4.8 mil a year if he takes then we have a good defenseman and we keep petro's in check and shattenkirks around 3mil.

If Subban gets 6 million per season Bergevin is an idiot. The kid is a good player and he will improve, but he has some real warts in his defensive game. I wouldn't give him more than 5 million per myself.

Alex Edler is a much better player than Subban and he signed a long term deal for 5 million per. I realize he is 3 years older than PK but I know who I would rather have and it isn't me being a biased fan.

The Blues are going to have to come out of their shoes to sign Pieterangelo. He has franchise player written all over him. I would be shocked if he doesn't pick up a couple Norris trophies over the next decade. Knowing what we now know about the 08 draft I don't know how he doesn't go first overall , though Stamkos or even Doughty would be a decent consolation prize.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Blob Mackenzie wrote:
APOD wrote:So if subban gets 6mil per on 6 years this year were does that put petro.

If Subban gets 6 million per season Bergevin is an idiot. The kid is a good player and he will improve, but he has some real warts in his defensive game. I wouldn't give him more than 5 million per myself.

Alex Edler is a much better player than Subban and he signed a long term deal for 5 million per. I realize he is 3 years older than PK but I know who I would rather have and it isn't me being a biased fan.

The Blues are going to have to come out of their shoes to sign Pieterangelo. He has franchise player written all over him. I would be shocked if he doesn't pick up a couple Norris trophies over the next decade. Knowing what we now know about the 08 draft I don't know how he doesn't go first overall , though Stamkos or even Doughty would be a decent consolation prize.
To pay him that much, we'd have to let someone go. I can't see Stillman ponying up money all across the board to keep who we got on the roster, as it stands. So who do we lose to trades or lack of money? Backes? Halak?

If that becomes the game, eventually we'll be asking the same question when Tarasenko's contract comes up too, especially if he performs the way everyone is expecting him to.

So what do we do?
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Oaklandblue wrote:
Blob Mackenzie wrote:

To pay him that much, we'd have to let someone go. I can't see Stillman ponying up money all across the board to keep who we got on the roster, as it stands. So who do we lose to trades or lack of money? Backes? Halak?

If that becomes the game, eventually we'll be asking the same question when Tarasenko's contract comes up too, especially if he performs the way everyone is expecting him to.

So what do we do?
The folks at LGW seem to think Petro will get a $12 million per year, 8 year contract, with an $8 million signing bonus, which would give him $20 million next year.

They obviously have no idea how the Blues do business.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

cprice12 wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:
Blob Mackenzie wrote:

So what do we do?
The folks at LGW seem to think Petro will get a $12 million per year, 8 year contract, with an $8 million signing bonus, which would give him $20 million next year.

They really don't! We don't give out 6+ contracts on anybody. It ain't about being frugal, more like not being stupid and tying your own hands.

With the Cap lowered, they obviously can't do math either ;)

Good post :okman:

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

Blob Mackenzie wrote:If Subban gets 6 million per season Bergevin is an idiot.
You do know we're talking about this guy, right?
[youtube][/youtube]
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

cprice12 wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:
Blob Mackenzie wrote:

So what do we do?

I can see the Blues making a contract exception and giving the longer term deal to Pietrangelo. He is going to be a perennial Norris contender and is the Blues most important defenseman, period. He is not someone they will be able to just replace when a 5 year contract ends. He is the kind of guy you want on your team for 15 years, not just 5-8. I know. The Blues current history suggests they will not do that, but he is the one player currently on the Blues roster worth making an exception.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

2 year deal for Subban. Reel called Benn getting 5 years and Subban getting 2 years in Flashchat last week. Looks like Bergevin has been watching the Blues a bit. This seems like the 'prove it' deals that Army gave to Osh, Perron, Bergie, etc.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

Great deal for Montreal. Can't imagine signing Petro for a deal like this.

SamJunior
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by SamJunior »

The contract pays Subban 2 mill this season, and 3,75 mill next season. That's not even close to the money that Petro will make. Heck! Not even close to what Shatty will make if he keeps playing like this all season long.

Btw, I'm not surprised. Both Shatty and Petro are way better right now than Subban will ever be.