GDT #2: 1/21/13 > Blues @ Preds > 5:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: GDT #2: 1/21/13 > Blues @ Preds > 5:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Post by dmiles2186 »

'Senko with a goal and an assist so far. Blues PP 5 for 6 this year.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Frusciante
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Frusciante »

Extremely odd to see Petro make two mistakes like that leading to the goals. Not as surprised by Perron's idiocy, what the hell is he doing so far? Taking stupid penalties is all he's done so far these couple of games. And they're not even penalties taken because he's out of shape trying to keep up, they're almost all of them in the offensive zone and just plain unnecessary. Moreover, this one was even preventing Bergie from getting a one-on-one with Rinne. I know we've just about started the season but man, there's no room for these kind of errors.

Overall we play good though, keeping sustained pressure over longer periods of this game. Vladi is simply fantastic.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

YES! YES! YES!
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Man, those were two great teams trading blows back and forth. Blues played a better 1st period overall I though, Preds took the 2nd and the first part of the 3rd. But from about 9 minutes remaining in the 3rd all the way through OT, the Blues came on.

Hope that Andy Mac isn't too hurt after taking the puck off the chin.

Elliott was great in relief of Halak and settled things down, kind of like he did last year during some rough patched.

I did not see us going 2-2 against Rinne in the shootout.

Awesome win. Onto Chicago for a battle of 2-0 teams.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

Boys, I think we can play this game a bit.

Tarasenko is a game changer. He's fantastic.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

18tonytwist
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by 18tonytwist »

Glad the Blues pulled out the win, but what does everyone think of Perron's play so far in two games? If I'm correct, that's 4 minor penalties and only one shot in two games. IMO, he has to be a factor on the score sheet this season. He doesn't look comfortable out there yet. Any opinions?

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

I think it's great that the Blues have so many players that a guy like Perron can have a rough start and we still have four points.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

18tonytwist wrote:Glad the Blues pulled out the win, but what does everyone think of Perron's play so far in two games? If I'm correct, that's 4 minor penalties and only one shot in two games. IMO, he has to be a factor on the score sheet this season. He doesn't look comfortable out there yet. Any opinions?
He's been pretty awful, but I think it'll turn around eventually. It would be nice if he was awful outside of the penalty box though while he finds his game.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

Hitch stole a point tonight.
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

cardsfan04 wrote:
18tonytwist wrote: Any opinions? (on Perron)
I think Perron's game is puck possession. He plays passionately, and we saw some of that late in the second and in the third. He came back on fire after missing 90+ games, he started two seasons ago on point/game pace, and it is startling to see him come out of the gate slow. Maybe Hitch is asking him to change his game since he is now playing with Backes, and defense first mentality.

DP did draw a penalty Saturday night, is skating the puck in deep, and was not on the ice for any goal this season. Two games in. Hitch will find a spot for him. Too bad he didn't step on the ice in OT, but was playing late into the third.

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

Nyghtewynd wrote:I think it's great that the Blues have so many players that a guy like Perron can have a rough start and we still have four points.
x 1.0e10

If we can keep scoring 3+ goals a game while Perron and Backes struggle, we'll be in great shape. They'll get hot as the season goes on, likely around the same time the inevitable injuries start adding up (see: Andy Mac tonight).

Perron might be squeezing a little too hard due to not being the wunderkind anymore and someone even younger being on fire and the center of attention. Not worried about him.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Taking bad penalties will wind up getting Perron a healthy scratch if he keeps it up. 0 points in 2 games and 4 dumb penalties. Matt D'Agostini can do the 0 points thing without taking the bad penalties. Had Perron not made that absolutely idiotic slash and Pietrangelo not made a rare bad mistake at center ice, the Blues win the game 3-1. Glad they still got the win, but Perron needs to pull his head out of his butt or sit the F down. Skill players not producing points while only creating PPs for the other team is bad, period.

What did Perron do in the off-season?

I hope this isn't a "I got paid and now I don't have to put forth the effort" kind of thing, since he got his 4-year $15M deal this off-season.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

How shitty was the reffing tonight?

The call on Shatter was one of the worst calls I've ever seen...and it cost us a goal.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

cprice12 wrote:How shitty was the reffing tonight?

The call on Shatter was one of the worst calls I've ever seen...and it cost us a goal.
That was the only penalty called I thought was bad. There was a non-call when Gill cut off Oshie on the boards while not skating directly to the puck and maintained contact with Oshie which is a new aspect to the interference rule this season that is supposed to be called. They did call it correctly against Weber earlier. Most of the penalties against the Blues were the "new rules".

Perron's slash knocking the stick out of the guys hand - the new rules is if your aren't attempting to play the puck while slashing a player's stick, the slash is supposed to be called - especially if the opponent's stick breaks or his knocked out of his hands.

Pietrangelo's "concealing the puck" - exactly what the new rules states. He concealed the puck enough the opponent could not have played it. That's the new concealing the puck rule and was correctly called.

Oshie's hooking - his stick was fully extended in the guys waist and he only had one hand on his stick. If the refs see any impediment to an opponent's flow when a stick is fully extended, like Oshie's, and only one hand is on the stick, hooking will almost always be called. Right call based on the new rules.

The Polak interference call seemed odd, because it looked like the Kostitsyn intentionally fell over Polak's stick knowing he wasn't going to get by the defense.

The issue with Shattenkirk - they are supposed to allow a bump as long as the player bumps once, does not impede the opponents forward progress, and keeps working to play the puck. That was a horrible call, because Shattenkirk did exactly what the new rules for interference is supposed to allow.

So all-in-all - I saw three bad calls - the penalties against Shattenkirk and Polak and the non-call on Gill.

And Clune is a wuss. Hit a guy in the back into the boards then turtle when challenged for it??? Wuss. Thought that penalty could have been more than a 2 minute minor with the league supposedly trying to protect players from those types of hits.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Great teams find ways to win. I DVR'ed the game but it didn't record the very end of the 3rd period and beyond.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

From the AP game recap:
..NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- The St. Louis Blues have shown already that they can blow out a team. Now they've proven they can come back, even if it means winning in a shootout.

T.J. Oshie and Alexander Steen scored in the shootout, and the St. Louis Blues edged the Nashville Predators 4-3 on Monday night.

The Blues won the Central Division last season, but the Predators won the season series 4-1-1 with three of those games going to a shootout. This time, the Blues had the only goals in a shootout that lasted only two rounds. Brian Elliott, who came off the bench in the second, stopped Craig Smith and Martin Erat to get the win.

''Shootouts are funny because two years ago this was a good team,'' Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said. ''Last year, we weren't. I'm telling you, those points now mean everything.''

Rookie Vladimir Tarasenko had a goal and two assists for St. Louis. Andy McDonald had a power-play goal and an assist, Alex Pietrangelo's goal tied it up in the third period, and Kevin Shattenkirk had two assists. The team that won the President's Trophy last season now has started this lockout-shortened season with two straight wins.
''It's our first road game of the year, we were down by a goal and end up tying it up and winning,'' Blues center Jaden Schwartz said. ''We had a little adversity there, and we came through so I think we can build on that.''

Patric Hornqvist had a goal and two assists for Nashville. Mike Fisher had a goal and an assist, Colin Wilson a goal and Erat two assists.

Oshie scored first with a backhander over Nashville's Pekka Rinne. After Elliott stopped Erat at the front of the crease, Steen skated up and squeezed the puck between the post and Rinne's outstretched skate.

Rinne made sure the Predators at least got to the shootout. He stopped a shot from Pietrangelo from the slot, then stopped another by Oshie off the rebound laying down on his back at the post inside the final minute of overtime.

The Predators opened the season with a 3-2 shootout loss to Columbus. Now they visit Minnesota on Tuesday to start a seven-game road trip that will be their longest this season and won't play again in Nashville until Feb. 7.

''We haven't been beaten in a game,'' Nashville coach Barry Trotz said. ''We've been beaten in, a little bit you could say, a skills competition. But at the same time, it's huge, especially the extra points, I mean, in the league right now. If you can get them in a shootout, let's take them.''

St. Louis, which plays at Chicago on Tuesday night, picked up where the Blues left off in their 6-0 opening rout of Detroit, outshooting Nashville 39-24 through overtime. They started strong too with an early 6-3 edge in the first period.

Wilson scored on the Predators' fourth shot, beating Jaroslav Halak with a wrister just inside the left circle at 9:10 of the first.

Tarasenko, who scored two goals in his NHL debut, remained just as active against Nashville. He scored on a wrister from the right circle at 10:28 on assists from McDonald and Shattenkirk. Later in the period, David Legwand hooked the rookie as Tarasenko tried to score on Rinne, giving the Blues a power play in the first.

So with the man advantage, Tarasenko found McDonald in the slot with the puck, and McDonald scored with a wrister at 15:04 for a 2-1 lead. That lasted only until David Perron went to the box for slashing, and Fisher scored his first on the power play beating Halak to the glove-side at 17:13.

''Vladi's playing really, really well right now,'' Hitchcock said. ''We've got a couple lines really playing well right now.''

Hornqvist slipped a backhander between Halak's body and his right arm stick-side at 12:53 of the second for a power-play goal. That was Nashville's third goal on 11 shots, and Blues coach Ken Hitchcock had seen enough. He yanked Halak and put in Elliott, due to start in Chicago.

''My first action of the year, it's almost better to get in there really nothing to lose and go out there and just play your game and let the guys in front of you do their job,'' Elliott said.

This game appeared headed for extra time even with Nashville holding a lead in the third. Nashville and St. Louis already had gone past overtime 12 times, including three games last season, with the Predators holding an 8-4 edge. Pietrangelo scored with a wrister at 12:10 to tie it.

Trotz noted his Predators hit a crossbar and a couple of posts in the second and Sergei Kostitsyn just missed a chance to put Nashville back ahead after the Blues tied it at 3.

''That's the type of game you're going to see St. Louis and Nashville battle. You got to bring it,'' Trotz said.

Leaving with a win was a nice change for Hitchcock, who said playing Nashville felt a bit like ''the Bataan death march'' when he was with Columbus. The Blues come in believing they can play well.

''This is a really tough building,'' Hitchcock said. ''It's a very intimidating building to play in. It seems like the people are right on top of you, and they play hard here. Nashville played really hard tonight.''

Notes: Barrett Jackson played his 600th career NHL game, all with St. Louis. He ranks ninth in club history in games played and fourth among defensemen. Only Bob Plager, Barclay Plager and Al MacInnis have played more for the Blues. ... Hornqvist has scored three points now nine times, the last on Nov. 9, 2011, at Anaheim with three assists. ... Nashville had its 15th straight sellout dating back to last season. ... Nashville C Paul Gaustad was scratched with an upper-body injury, and Trotz said he will be questionable against Minnesota.
President's Trophy? Barrett Jackson? What, were the sports writers on lockout, too? :facepalm:

*edit: link added: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/steens-goa ... --nhl.html

ramsfan115
Prospect
Prospect

Post by ramsfan115 »

IMHO Perron ( and a healthy bunch around the league) is having a tough time getting used to the new rules. Rules that IMO are rediculous in the first place...Granted the slashing penalty he inflicted last night was bone headed at best, the other three were extremely petty calls... along with the Petro call, all I could say at the time was WOW...That was a penalty??? Boy's falling down and inadvertently covers the puck and gets 2 minutes for it??!!...

The one that has impressed the heck out of me so far has been the energy of the AMac/Steener/ Senko line...OMG these guys are fast, and already have great chemistry togather! The line has produced 5 of ten goals thus far ( including Steeners game winner on the shoot out last night), and have assisted on seven of ten thus far! And the fourth line of Nichols/Reeves/ and Sabotka has caused head aches for the opposing teams as well, also good chemestry.

It may be just me, but it appears that the "top two" lines look a bit out of sinc...could be just me though ( I know Stewart scored twice saturday, but still looks mediocre)...

All in all A terrific start!!!

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

ramsfan115 wrote:IMHO Perron ( and a healthy bunch around the league) is having a tough time getting used to the new rules. Rules that IMO are rediculous in the first place...Granted the slashing penalty he inflicted last night was bone headed at best, the other three were extremely petty calls... along with the Petro call, all I could say at the time was WOW...That was a penalty??? Boy's falling down and inadvertently covers the puck and gets 2 minutes for it??!!...
Pietrangelo did not inadvertently cover it. I thought he covered it inadvertently when it was live, but the last replay shows he clearly reaches back to cover the puck with his glove and pull it forward.

Read through this and you will see the refs were calling the new rules: Hockey Operations update

Relevant points from last night:
Interference (Rule 56)

The consensus was that defenders should be allowed to engage/bump/hit an attacking player "immediately" after they released the puck on a dump in, but would be expected to release the attacker and pursue the puck or retreat to the slot following this initial contact. The same standard would be applied regardless of whether or not the attacking player was knocked down. Various time and space guidelines were discussed. However, it ultimately was decided that the "immediacy" of the contact had to be a determination made by the officials on a case by case basis. The measuring stick of 1/2 a second, occasionally used by Hockey Operations/Player Safety to determine lateness, was also mentioned as a guideline.
This is why the penalty against Shattenkirk was BS and one should have been called on Gill in the 3rd. It's also why the penalty called against Weber was correct.
Broken Stick Slashes (Rule 61)

The group did not believe there should be an automatic penalty for slashes when the result was a broken stick, but agreed that the vast majority of these plays should be penalized. The feeling was there was room for judgment in the application of this rule, but when players slashed at the stick of an opponent they ran the risk of breaking it and should usually be penalized because their actions rendered an opponent useless.
This is exactly why Perron was penalized. He rendered an opponent useless by slashing at his stick and causing the player to lose his stick.
Rule 67 - Handling Puck

67.2 Minor Penalty – Player

A player shall be permitted to catch the puck out of the air but must immediately place it or knock it down to the ice. If he catches it and skates with it, either to avoid a check or to gain a territorial advantage over his opponent, a minor penalty shall be assessed for "closing his hand on the puck."

New, approved wording in italics:

Any time a player places his hand over the puck while it is on the ice in order to conceal it from or prevent an opponent from playing the puck, a minor penalty shall be assessed for "closing his hand on the puck." When this is done in his own team's goal crease area, a penalty shot shall be assessed (67.4) or a goal awarded (67.5).

A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player who, while play is in progress, picks up the puck off the ice with his hand.
And that was why Pietrangelo was penalized. Replay clearly shows him reaching his hand back to cover the puck which is precisely what the new rule wants to eliminate.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

I too feel that Perron started to find his game as last nights game pressed on, however that first line just hasn't had any synergy whatsoever. I know it's early and it's been off a bit because of the time DP has spend in the back and David and TJ playing special teams, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Hitch mix things up shortly.

That said, if DP keeps taking penalties and plays inconsistently, Hitch won't think twice about sitting him in the box and getting Daggs some time on the ice.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

I too feel that Perron started to find his game as last nights game pressed on, however that first line just hasn't had any synergy whatsoever. I know it's early and it's been off a bit because of the time DP has spend in the back and David and TJ playing special teams, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Hitch mix things up shortly.

That said, if DP keeps taking penalties and plays inconsistently, Hitch won't think twice about sitting him in the box and getting Daggs some time on the ice.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund