JD names Jarmo new BJ's GM

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

JD names Jarmo new BJ's GM

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Tried for the "acronym's in a thread title" world record :facepalm: haha.

Thoughts? I think this is creative on JD's part.

Linky
NHL.com wrote:The Columbus Blue Jackets fired executive vice president and general manager Scott Howson on Tuesday night.

On Wednesday, the Blue Jackets hired Jarmo Kekalainen to replace Howson. Kekelainen, 46, worked for Davidson as assistant general manager and director of amateur scouting when the latter ran the St. Louis Blues. Kekelainen was serving as general manager of Jokerit in Finland.

Kekelainen is the first European general manager in the history of the National Hockey League. He appeared in 55 NHL games as a player in the early 1990s for the Boston Bruins and Ottawa Senators.

"Scott Howson is a caring man who gave everything he had to the Columbus Blue Jackets over the past six years," team president of hockey operations John Davidson said in a statement. "This was a difficult decision but one that I thought was in the best interest of moving our hockey club forward. I have enjoyed working with Scott and want to thank him for his service."

Howson was named the second general manager in Blue Jackets history on June 15, 2007.

During Howson's tenure with the club, the Blue Jackets compiled a 173-190-59 record and made their lone appearance in the Stanley Cup Playoffs after a franchise-best 41-31-10 mark in 2008-09.

"It's something I said when I got here, that I'd watch and evaluate," Davidson told The Columbus Dispatch. "I wanted to make a change in that area. I've been thinking more and more about it in recent days. It's a hard thing, but something I felt in my gut I needed to do."

The Blue Jackets beat the San Jose Sharks 6-2 Monday night to improve to 4-7-2.

Howson was informed of Davidson's decision Tuesday morning, according to The Dispatch.

"He's a gentleman and a professional," Davidson said. "We had to do it the right way."

The highlight of Howson's tenure was the 2008-09 season, when the Jackets finished 41-31-10 and earned a spot in the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the first and only time. Since then, they've never come close to making the postseason.

"Sometimes change is necessary," Davidson said. "It's just necessary. When you make changes, for whatever the reason you make them, it can be tough on some people.

"Scott gave his heart and soul to this. He's going to have a tough time with that. It's a big part of our life when you have a job like this.”
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: JD names Jarmo new BJ's GM

Post by APOD »

Guy is gold when it comes to scouting. This is a good move on JD, but there is so much more to rebuild there than just GM.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

If I'm a Blue Jackets fan, I'm ecstatic. To get JD and then Jarmo means a promising future there. These guys helped rebuild the Blues from the dead. They can do it again and I'm honestly not looking forward to seeing how the BJ's roster looks in a few years.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

But this all depends on the ownership group too, does JD get to do this slow and steady like he did with the blues or is the ownership group going to want results right away.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

APOD wrote:But this all depends on the ownership group too, does JD get to do this slow and steady like he did with the blues or is the ownership group going to want results right away.
I heard him on the Marek vs. Wyshynski podcast say similar things that he did when he joined the Blues. 'It's going to be awhile.' 'A good foundation on which to build off of,' etc. In fact, a lot of the conversation involved him comparing the BJ's to the Blues and all of the similarities each team faced when he was hired.

That being said, the Blue Jackets have 3 picks in the first round of the upcoming draft, if I'm not mistaken. That's something the Blues never had during JD's tenure here. That definitely could heighten expectations from a fan standpoint. But JD always did a good job of communicating to Blues fans what the plan was and how long it would take. I wouldn't expect anything less when he's with the Blue Jackets.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

I'm happy for JD, Jarmo and Jacket fans....

Unfortunately those are a couple of quality guys running that organization and thus should prove to be tough opponents in the future for our Note.

Thus......I hate the move :twisted:

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

He was the first name I thought of when Howson got fired.
I'm really happy for Jarmo,hes one hell of a scout.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

amusiac
All-Star
All-Star

Post by amusiac »

I think this bodes well for the Jackets, assuming the ownership lets JD and JK do their thing.

As to the Jackets becoming a force against us, I would imagine that by the time the rebuilding really works its way through, they'll be in a different division. Wouldn't they need to reorganize everything soon, what with Winnipeg mucking all of that up? And if so, there'd be a good chance that the Jackets would get moved.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

dmiles2186 wrote:...the Blue Jackets have 3 picks in the first round of the upcoming draft, if I'm not mistaken. That's something the Blues never had during JD's tenure here.

Lars Eller
Ian Cole
David Perron

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

APOD wrote:But this all depends on the ownership group too, does JD get to do this slow and steady like he did with the blues or is the ownership group going to want results right away.
That's the thing. If I'm a Blue Jackets fan, I've been told to be patient for years. And every year it doesn't happen. My patience would be absolutely shot. There's not a single team in this league whose fans I feel worse for than the BJ's. They've had next to nothing to cheer about since their franchise was created and every time it legitimately looks like they're going to turn a corner (e.g. most recently with the acquisitions of Carter and Wisniewksi), they just... don't.

Then the face of your franchise said he wants out. :?

I think it's unquestionably good for hockey that the Midwest market continues to grow and nobody in Ohio has had much to cheer about... unless you're a Penguins or Red Wings fan...
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

kodos wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:...the Blue Jackets have 3 picks in the first round of the upcoming draft, if I'm not mistaken. That's something the Blues never had during JD's tenure here.

Lars Eller
Ian Cole
David Perron
That's right! Forgot we had 3 that year. Good catch.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

dmiles2186 wrote:
kodos wrote:

Lars Eller
Ian Cole
David Perron
That's right! Forgot we had 3 that year. Good catch.
In a roundabout way, 4 because Shatty went the pick after Eller.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024