GDT #13: 2/13/13 > Blues @ Wings > 6:30 PM > NBCSN/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: GDT #13: 2/13/13 > Blues @ Wings > 6:30 PM > NBCSN/KMOX

Post by APOD »

Im praying the first period was that the guys were worried with Allen in net. But after a few really good saves late in the 1st and the shorty from berg it looked like we got confidence back and it seemed to stay that way.

There was still some pretty bad passes, but not as many as we have seen.

Our PK was good are PP was great.

We iced the puck a lot, but at least we were getting it out instead of the normal trying to clear the puck and having it bounce off of the other team and staying in.

Stewy looked great hustled all night!

Backes was good, didnt seem to be as physical as he had been the last to games, but in both those games he went off ice and one of those games(ducks) he was clearly playing hurt. Maybe he is nursing a small bruise or something. FYI I wanted to jump through the tv and kill tootoo.

Oshie.....what can I say......this is how he should be playing all the time looked good.

Steen looked fantastic!

Perron-Flame me if you must but rumor has it we were or are talking with the flyers(scouting not talking).....Maybe Perron and Reeves for Coburn and Simmonds and a 2nd..IDK lol

Perron seems to be playing fine but I still see a all about me attitude, he still needs to pass more and make more wise choices on the ice, there was no need for him to come flying in and take the roughing call and he seems to be constantly getting tangled up with guys he shouldnt be, getting stuck on the opposite side of were the play is.

Allen gets the start friday :okman: I'm ok with that, and if Halak isnt back by sunday maybe we should try Elliot again. I hopping for Halak to be back before the sharks game.

Just need to keep it up and stay out of whatever the last 5 games were.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

18tonytwist
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by 18tonytwist »

I'm proud the note got the W last night and they played a good 2nd and 3rd period, but we need to win as many of these things in regulation as possible and not give any of the opponents points.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

1st goal against - take the damn interference penalty, instead of letting a guy walk right onto the doorstep where the goalie is completely screwed. This is another example of the Blues making their first major mistake of the game and the puck goes in the damn net. This has happened for 6 games in a row now.
2nd goal against - NBC did a good job of breaking it down with Oshie getting caught on the wrong side after trying to make the hit and the defense having to scramble to cover up. Again - guy gets to walk right in front of the goalie. Thought Allen could have had that one, though.
3rd goal against - Allen got caught leaning. Yes, the Wings had good pressure, but the Blues had the pass options covered. If Allen sticks to that post, the puck does not go in. It's not like Datsyuk had anywhere else to go.

Blues 2nd and 3rd periods are what we should expect to see on a regular basis from this team. Only allowing 1 shot the entire 3rd period at Joe Louis Arena and with 2 power plays against??? That's incredible!!!!

Perron did what he should do. Quick strong passes. Shooting when the pass wasn't there. Not holding the puck and dilly-dallying with it. Not turning it over. That's the Perron we need to see on a regular basis.

Stewart played a great game. Announcers cracked me up saying when Stewart is on his game he is an outstanding power forward. So we are not the only ones noticing the "on his game" part of it.

I am shocked none of you have mentioned the play of Schwartz. He was very good last night and should have been on the score sheet (with at least an assist) if not for some very good saves by Howard. Putting Schwartz with Stewart and Berglund worked. Schwartz, while not scoring, is showing Oshie-like tenacity. If he keeps getting to play somewhere besides the 4th line, he will start getting points.

When Detroit got that late power play in the 1st, the Blues game changed. It changed before the SHG. You could see the Blues jumping in passing lanes and destroying the Wings rush. To me, the Blues dominated most of the game from just before the SHG until the end. Even with the Blues almost getting "Winged at the Joe" again on a BS penalty (the delay of game when the puck went off the dasher in the 3rd).

Given the speed with which the NHL reviews goals already, adding one coach's challenge per game is a great idea. Boomer, on NHL Radio, added the caveat if a coach makes a challenge and the on-ice call is correct, a delay of game penalty will be called also. This would prevent coaches from using that one challenge willy-nilly, since being wrong could result in a 5-on-3 against PP. Would love to see that implemented. It's not like hockey games are slow these days, since they are usually over in 2 and half hours or less, barring an OT shootout.

And I know everyone hates Tootoo, even me, but his hit on Backes in the 3rd was a clean hit (shoulder-to-side/shoulder) that mostly missed and he didn't even leave his feet for once. It looked a lot worse live than it did on replay.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

No wonder the Wings lost.
Babcock wrote:"Give them credit," Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said. "It's a 60-minute game. We knew it was going to be a 60-minute game."
When you only play for 60 minutes in a 60 minute 53 second game, you are going to lose. :lol:
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

amusiac
All-Star
All-Star

Post by amusiac »

From the Winging it in Motown (SBNation) recap of the game (http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2013/2 ... n-overtime):
We've speculated before about what would happen to the Wings after Mike Ilitch dies, but I think it's pretty clear that ownership of the Red Wings will be awarded to the St. Louis Blues power play.
I laughed.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Most of you guys have summed it up pretty good and I was just going to add more of the same.

We have so many quality forwards that I literally forgot about Schwartz and then saw him make some plays and went "shit, we have Schwartz too! Forgot!" Quite the problem to have- too MANY quality forwards all competing for ice time.

I can't say enough about our shorty that got us back in the game. What a play by Oshie. That was dogged determination and not much else. Fantastic drive into the zone and getting the pass off to Berglund. We don't score a goal like that being down 2-0 we don't win that game.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I wasn't able to watch most of the game but I did get home in time for the end of the 3rd and the OT. The part I saw, they looked better. But you know what? I still wouldn't cry if they traded DP and Stewart tonight. Package them up and see what the return would be from another struggling team. Philly, Washington, Buffalo.... Thomas Vanek maybe?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

glen a richter wrote:I wasn't able to watch most of the game but I did get home in time for the end of the 3rd and the OT. The part I saw, they looked better. But you know what? I still wouldn't cry if they traded DP and Stewart tonight. Package them up and see what the return would be from another struggling team. Philly, Washington, Buffalo.... Thomas Vanek maybe?
After watching the game, I think we should keep everybody and play what we got. Vanek would be a nice addition but I wouldn't give up DP and/or Stew for him.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

APOD wrote:
Allen gets the start friday :okman: I'm ok with that, and if Halak isnt back by sunday maybe we should try Elliot again. I hopping for Halak to be back before the sharks game.
If we can straighten him out, Elliott is pure death on Teal.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!