Blues Assign Jake Allen to Peoria

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey.

Moderator: LGB Mods

Blues Assign Jake Allen to Peoria

Postby Oaklandblue » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:44 pm

Link: http://blues.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=656689

ST. LOUIS – St. Louis Blues Executive Vice President and General Manager Doug Armstrong announced Thursday the club assigned goaltender Jake Allen to their American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate, Peoria Rivermen.
Allen, 22, has appeared in five games posting a 3-1-0 record including a 2.62 goals-against average and a .895 save percentage with the Blues this season.

During his most recent recall, the 6-foot-2, 195-pound goaltender became the first Blues rookie since Reinhard Divis (2002-2004) to win each of his first three NHL decisions.

With Peoria, Allen has dressed in 31 games this season posting a 12-16-2 record including a 2.94 goals against average, .903 save percentage and two shutouts.

The Fredericton, New Brunswick native was drafted by the Blues in the second round (34th overall) of the 2008 Entry Draft.
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!
Oaklandblue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
 
Posts: 751
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:20 pm

Re: Blues Assign Jake Allen to Peoria

Postby gaijin » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:32 pm

I'm sorry to see him go (considering the recent play of Elliot), but what else were we going to do?
Image
User avatar
gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 2766
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:46 pm
Location: An undisclosed location in SW Asia

Re: Blues Assign Jake Allen to Peoria

Postby cprice12 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:17 pm

gaijin wrote:I'm sorry to see him go (considering the recent play of Elliot), but what else were we going to do?


Yeah. You don't give up on Elliott after a handful of games. He had an amazing year last season. A small 5 game sample size this year (even though he was bad) shouldn't result in any knee jerk reactions.
With Halak back, Allen wouldn't be playing anyway. He needs to go to Peoria to play.
Image
Image

2014-2015 Sponsor -- Blues Asst. Coach Kirk Muller
User avatar
cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19532
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Location: Center Ice

Re: Blues Assign Jake Allen to Peoria

Postby dmiles2186 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:17 pm

Good thing is that he proved he belongs. If Elliott continues to give up an ungodly amount of goals, it could lead to the Blues making an intriguing decision. But that's a little farther down the road.
Image
User avatar
dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 5988
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach

Re: Blues Assign Jake Allen to Peoria

Postby dr313 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:51 pm

cprice12 wrote:
gaijin wrote:I'm sorry to see him go (considering the recent play of Elliot), but what else were we going to do?


Yeah. You don't give up on Elliott after a handful of games. He had an amazing year last season. A small 5 game sample size this year (even though he was bad) shouldn't result in any knee jerk reactions.
With Halak back, Allen wouldn't be playing anyway. He needs to go to Peoria to play.

Problem is, in a shortened season those 5 horrid games where he turned into a siv, are magnified tenfold. Turek had a good season too, then turned into one of the three blind mice the next season
User avatar
dr313
Rookie
Rookie
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:31 pm
Location: Highland IL

Re: Blues Assign Jake Allen to Peoria

Postby drwoland » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:22 pm

Bonus Reinhard Divis reference!
Image
User avatar
drwoland
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 1869
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:18 pm
Location: Having a stroke in FlashChat

Re: Blues Assign Jake Allen to Peoria

Postby cprice12 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:57 am

dr313 wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
gaijin wrote:I'm sorry to see him go (considering the recent play of Elliot), but what else were we going to do?


Yeah. You don't give up on Elliott after a handful of games. He had an amazing year last season. A small 5 game sample size this year (even though he was bad) shouldn't result in any knee jerk reactions.
With Halak back, Allen wouldn't be playing anyway. He needs to go to Peoria to play.

Problem is, in a shortened season those 5 horrid games where he turned into a siv, are magnified tenfold. Turek had a good season too, then turned into one of the three blind mice the next season

I'm not saying Elliott isn't going to be horrible this year. I'm just saying you don't give up on him after 5 poor games after the season he had last year. That would be stupid.
Halak had a horrible start to last season. Good thing we didn't give up on him then.
Image
Image

2014-2015 Sponsor -- Blues Asst. Coach Kirk Muller
User avatar
cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19532
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Location: Center Ice

Re: Blues Assign Jake Allen to Peoria

Postby gaijin » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:08 am

It's starting to look like Elliott does best when he has someone else to push him. With Halak out, there was no one behind him to show him up and drive him to play his best (because we hadn't played Allen yet and didn't know how well he would do). I wonder if, after Allen had earned his 3 wins, Elliott would have performed if we put him back in.
Image
User avatar
gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 2766
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:46 pm
Location: An undisclosed location in SW Asia

Re: Blues Assign Jake Allen to Peoria

Postby Shanahan19 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:38 am

Thinking last year's goal-tending was an exception.
"Shanahan beating up on a Winnipeg player..." - Ken Wilson April 14, 1994
User avatar
Shanahan19
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:26 pm
Location: Wildwood, Missouri

Re: Blues Assign Jake Allen to Peoria

Postby sseagle » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:43 am

It was to free up a slot for Rick DiPietro, who just landed on waivers!!!
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

Image
User avatar
sseagle
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 2115
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:03 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Blues Assign Jake Allen to Peoria

Postby dmiles2186 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:17 pm

sseagle wrote:It was to free up a slot for Rick DiPietro, who just landed on waivers!!!


Because if you have the chance to pick up a guy who can't stay on the ice and has a 15 year contract, you do it!
Image
User avatar
dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 5988
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach

Re: Blues Assign Jake Allen to Peoria

Postby sseagle » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:57 pm

dmiles2186 wrote:
sseagle wrote:It was to free up a slot for Rick DiPietro, who just landed on waivers!!!


Because if you have the chance to pick up a guy who can't stay on the ice and has a 15 year contract, you do it!

Lies!
It's only 8 more years!!
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

Image
User avatar
sseagle
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 2115
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:03 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO


Return to St. Louis Blues Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests