GDT #16: 2/20/13 > Blues @ Avalanche > 9:00 PM > NBCSN/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GDT #16: 2/20/13 > Blues @ Avalanche > 9:00 PM > NBCSN/K

Post by cprice12 »

STLADOGG wrote:
abc789987 wrote:I doubt there is any suspension at all.
No suspension needed. It was an accident.
It not being on purpose has nothing to do with it.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

Not even a mention on NHL.com of the hit. Of course, it wasn't Hossa, who cares.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Legit hit or not, our boys should have dropped gloves and made a statement. We might have actually won if we did.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Oaklandblue wrote:Legit hit or not, our boys should have dropped gloves and made a statement. We might have actually won if we did.
It would have been nice to do that, but on the other hand, you get the instigator penalty and maybe give up a PP goal in the 3rd period of a scoreless game.
I think this is one of those things that you file away for the next time we play them and take care of it early in the game.
That probably won't happen though.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Shanahan19
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Shanahan19 »

Oaklandblue wrote:Legit hit or not, our boys should have dropped gloves and made a statement. We might have actually won if we did.
These days we whine to the NHL offices. Weak, loser generation of hockey these days. Even junkyard dogs have the self respect to fight back. Now we complain on Facebook.

Who gives a damn what the League does or doesn't do. You're the guys on the ice. Make your own justice.
"Shanahan beating up on a Winnipeg player..." - Ken Wilson April 14, 1994

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Shanahan19 wrote:
These days we whine to the NHL offices. Weak, loser generation of hockey these days. Even junkyard dogs have the self respect to fight back. Now we complain on Facebook.

Who gives a damn what the League does or doesn't do. You're the guys on the ice. Make your own justice.
Well, I haven't been on the ice (as a player) in years, so I'd invite you to come stop me from bitching :)
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

sseagle wrote:
Shanahan19 wrote:

Well, I haven't been on the ice (as a player) in years, so I'd invite you to come stop me from bitching :)
If it was me, I'd have dropped gloves and hit someone. It's not about winning or losing the fight, it's standing up for your guy and about Team Pride.

It's becoming more and more obvious that this time has none. Zero. Zip.

I'd have fought and maybe would have gotten myself wiped across the ice, suspended or whatever, but that's all temporary. The stigma your team carries when you do NOT respond is to go ahead, hit one of us again. We won't do anything. We're weak. That stigma follows you and has followed this team for a very long time.

Hitch needs to open the Polak Door, send Reaves out or give Stew the green light because this would NOT have happened on the 98-99 Dallas Stars team without at least one person going to the ring. And maybe that's a part of why they got a ring.

Shanahan19 is absolutely correct. Sometimes you make your own law; you might lose today and get a few suspensions but the team starts to act MUCH different after, they start showing pride and they start actually playing with it, too.

And that seems to be a big part of our problem. Lack of pride.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

As good as Stewart played vs San Jose, why in the (FRANK) does he stop skating headed back to his own zone with less than 20 seconds to go in OT? You can see him gliding back into his own zone as Jones circles back and shoots the OT winner. If Stewart had pulled his head out of his ass and actually skated back on defense, maybe this game could have gone to a shootout. But no, that jackass refuses to skate back hard - with less than 20 seconds left in OT - and the Avs score from his defensive AOR. He quit skating from inside the Blues offensive zone and glided from the Avs blueline all the way into the Blues zone. Yes, he glided through the entire neutral zone. It's not like there was another shift in the game or a game to played the next day. No excuse for that crappy an effort that late in a tie game.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

Shanahan19
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Shanahan19 »

Oaklandblue wrote:
sseagle wrote:
Shanahan19 wrote:

If it was me, I'd have dropped gloves and hit someone. It's not about winning or losing the fight, it's standing up for your guy and about Team Pride.

It's becoming more and more obvious that this time has none. Zero. Zip.

I'd have fought and maybe would have gotten myself wiped across the ice, suspended or whatever, but that's all temporary. The stigma your team carries when you do NOT respond is to go ahead, hit one of us again. We won't do anything. We're weak. That stigma follows you and has followed this team for a very long time.

Hitch needs to open the Polak Door, send Reaves out or give Stew the green light because this would NOT have happened on the 98-99 Dallas Stars team without at least one person going to the ring. And maybe that's a part of why they got a ring.

Shanahan19 is absolutely correct. Sometimes you make your own law; you might lose today and get a few suspensions but the team starts to act MUCH different after, they start showing pride and they start actually playing with it, too.

And that seems to be a big part of our problem. Lack of pride.
Right there.

Fighting back may lose that single game but the team identity, character, pride that is forged in trial, shared suffering, standing together and not shrinking down to others will lead to far more wins in the long run.

The Blues used to be a team that would smash anyone that did something like this.

We want to win on talent alone with as little pain as possible. Won't get past the second round with that attitude.
"Shanahan beating up on a Winnipeg player..." - Ken Wilson April 14, 1994