E4.23425: Blues Scouting Flyers for Trade Possibilities

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

E4.23425: Blues Scouting Flyers for Trade Possibilities

Post by dmiles2186 »

So, I had heard the Blues and Flyers were scouting each for a possible trade, but wasn't sure who the Blues were looking at. If anything, I thought it might be for defense, but obviously, with injuries to Senko and Amac, that may have changed.

The rumor right now points to the Blues looking at Briere. Puck Daddy cites a Philadelphia reporter who said Paul Holmgren would ask for Shattenkirk in return.

If it's Briere for Shatty straight up, I would hate that deal with a passion. If Philly throws in some extra pieces...I might be interested. But losing Shatty would be a huge hit without getting a significant return.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Blues have more salary cap space than any team in the National Hockey League today, more than $20 million.

The franchise is operating on a tight budget. But the new Tom Stillman ownership group would consider adding some salary this spring if the right trade opportunity presented itself.

So general manager Doug Armstrong has hit the road to survey some possibilities. His regular presence at Flyers games leads the Philadelphia Daily News to believe he ready to do some business with a team looking to make changes.

Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren is feeling some heat with his big-budget team struggling. This man loves to sign players to comically oversized contracts and then dump them so he can sign different players to comically oversized contracts.

How Holmgren keeps his job doing this year after a year is a mystery, but, hey, good for him.

If Holmgren could convince Danny Briere to waive his full no-movement clause – which would take some doing – the Blues would have to at least consider the scenario.

Here is why:

A recent five-game point streak reminded us that Briere, 35, can still generate offense during the twilight of his career.
He is small (generously listed at 5-foot-10) but tenacious and somewhat versatile. It would not be hard to imagine him fitting into Ken Hitchcock’s system.
The Flyers could can $6.5 million in annual cap space by moving him. That would help this season and really help them handle the upcoming cap reduction.
Holmgren would love to create the cap space needed to add significant help on the blue line. The franchise is still reeling from the loss of Chris Pronger to post-concussion syndrome.
The Blues could afford the back end of Briere’s contract is not onerous. He will make $3 million next season and $2 million in 2014-15.
Holmgren just added old friend Simon Gagne for a draft pick, so that could help offset the Briere subtraction.
The Blues just lost forward Andy McDonald to a lower-body injury after losing Vladimir Tarasenko to a concussion. Their admirable offensive depth took a big hit.
Neither Phil McRae or Evgeny Grachev progressed at Peoria this season, so the Blues won't get an offensive boost from the minors this season. Armstrong will have to look outside the organization.

Of course, all of this speculation means nothing unless Briere agreed to leave Philadelphia. Right now he does not seem so inclined.

“I don't want to comment on anything at this point,” Briere told the Daily News. “Trades are not my department. I've been a Flyer for a long time. My heart belongs in Philadelphia with the Flyers. I can't see myself playing anywhere else.”

Look for lots of trade activity during the weeks ahead. Some teams are looking to add talent to boost their playoff hopes and other teams are trying to clean up their long-range payroll.

That inspired the Canadiens to move Erik Cole and his remaining contract (two more years at $4 million per season, with a cap hit of $4.5 million per year) to Dallas for Michael Ryder and his expiring contract.

That deal was a master stroke for Montreal GM Marc Bergevin, who gained payroll flexibility while clearing out a twilight-year winger. As for Dallas, this deal proved that teams will go to extremes to add some size and toughness up front.

AROUND THE RINKS: With Andrew Murray up in St. Louis on an emergency recall, a tough season for Peoria in the AHL got that much tougher . . . Much-discussed former Capitals winger Alexander Semin almost scored a short-handed goal for the Hurricanes Tuesday night in Washington. That would have chilled some of the chatter about what a bad guy he was in D.C. Instead, Braden Holtby made the save and the Capitals rolled to a 3-0 victory to get the last laugh . . . Teams looking to add an offensive defenseman could do worse than Ryan Whitney, who landed on the trade block after struggling for Edmonton this season. He is reasonably healthy (for a change) had he offers high-end skill . . . Penguins superstar Evgeni Malkin has begun recovering from his concussion, but it is much too early to guess on a timetable for this return . . . Power forward Shane Doan is glad he stuck it out with the broke Coyotes, who keep winning despite their lack of resources . . . Scouts have had to change their tune on Our Town's Ben Bishop, who worked hard for his long-awaited NHL breakthrough.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 25z;_ylv=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The St. Louis Blues seem like your prototypical “one player away” team.

One that needs that added veteran forward who’s been through the wars and, more importantly, has thrived under pressure. He doesn’t have to be another David Backes; he just needs to be tougher than his weight class would indicate.

Which is to say the Blues could use someone like Danny Briere of the Philadelphia Flyers, a versatile forward and over a point-per-game player in the postseason. Like many of the other Blues, he’s a total pain in the ass to play against; your “hate him until he’s on your team” guy.

Frank Seravalli of the Philadelphia Daily News reports that both the Blues and the Boston Bruins have been sniffing around Briere as the Flyers’ ship sinks this season.

The 35-year-old has two years left on his deal, and his $6.5 million cap hit is elephantine; but in terms of real dollars, he’s only owed $5 million over the last two seasons.

From Seravalli:

Briere makes sense for a lot of reasons for a team like St. Louis - and even for the Flyers to be intrigued enough to move him. Currently, Briere isn't the type of player who will get a team into the playoffs, but getting there isn't likely the problem for the Blues. (They could use a boost up front, especially after Andy McDonald left practice Tuesday with an injury.)

He claims the Flyers’ target could be defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk. A one-for-one deal would get Paul Holmgren laughed off the phone with Blues GM Doug Armstrong, but the Flyers have other assets to toss in if they covet the Norris contender.

But that’s all conjecture, because the reality is that Briere determines his future.

From the Daily News, on Briere’s full no-movement clause:

Understandably, Briere doesn't have interest in moving. This isn't a rental situation, where he'd only have to gut it out this season before becoming a free agent. His family is rooted here, including his three hockey-mad sons, Caelan, Carson and Cameron. He earned his right to veto any future deal when signing his 8-year, $52 million pact to join the Flyers in 2007.

The no-move clause was a necessity for the Flyers to sign Briere back in 2007, as they were in a bidding war with other teams. If they wanted him, they had to give the keys to his future to him. It’s understandable.

But as the Flyers look at their roster and see a blueline that needs to get younger and better – and roughly $2.225 million in cap space next season – shipping out Briere makes sense for the right return.

Save for the fact he doesn’t want to leave. Then again, neither did Simon Gagne back in the day.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Re: E4.23425: Blues Scouting Flyers for Trade Possibilities

Post by Kreegz2 »

No (Franking) way. Shatty is almost as untradeable as Petro in my eyes. We downright robbed the Avalanche for him.
2015-2016 LGB sponsor of Robert Bortuzzo
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

I think Wayne Simmonds would be awesome for our team.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I agree on both points above. Kreegz, the only reason I see the Blues possibly making that deal is because both Petro and Shatty are looking to get big time raises in the near future. They've got plenty of cap room but is ownership willing to pay?

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

dmiles2186 wrote:I agree on both points above. Kreegz, the only reason I see the Blues possibly making that deal is because both Petro and Shatty are looking to get big time raises in the near future. They've got plenty of cap room but is ownership willing to pay?
So let's take Briere's contract on?

I just don't know if there's anything we need quite honestly. There's always room for improvement but we're rolling four offensive lines deep, our defense has been solid if unspectacular (if you're not counting Petro and Shattenkirk), we have 3 goalies... I'm just missing the part where we are needing to trade anything.

Now are we facing impending salary cap/budget issues? Yes. That's the ONLY rationale I can see is trading some of our offensive depth in order to clear some space. But McDonald is coming off the books this year unless we re-sign him on the cheap so... still. Not sure why we'd trade.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:I agree on both points above. Kreegz, the only reason I see the Blues possibly making that deal is because both Petro and Shatty are looking to get big time raises in the near future. They've got plenty of cap room but is ownership willing to pay?
Briere has 2 years left on his deal and it's a cap hit of $6.5 million. However, he's due to make 3 million, then 2, so the overall money paid out isn't that bad, it's the cap hit that's brutal.

Shanahan19
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Shanahan19 »

Not usually one to look to the Flyers for players. Briere...eh and never if it requires Shatty.

I will give them Stewart for two ice girls and an oil change.

Shatty, Petro, Tank, and the goalies are off the table. Everyone else is good to go for the right price.

Knowing blockbuster deals and Saint Louis, it rarely turns in our favor.
"Shanahan beating up on a Winnipeg player..." - Ken Wilson April 14, 1994

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Plus the picks we will end up having to send to Hartford.
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

dmiles2186 wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
Briere has 2 years left on his deal and it's a cap hit of $6.5 million. However, he's due to make 3 million, then 2, so the overall money paid out isn't that bad, it's the cap hit that's brutal.
The cap hit doesn't mean anything to us because we're not going to get close to the cap ceiling...PLUS, we would only be paying his salary for the last two years of his contract, plus the remainder this year. So, yeah, the cap hit is high, but the actual salary isn't that high. And since we're in no danger of going over the cap anyway, his cap hit number isn't that important to us.

As far as Shattenkirk for Briere goes, apparently a source within the Blues organization heard that rumor and laughed. In other words...Shatty isn't being moved for Briere. Not gonna happen.
It would be stupid on numerous levels to trade him straight up for Briere.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

What's that? Trade Shatty for the rights to Chris Pronger? Sorry, Amac, Steen and Tank don't need company on the IR.

Seriously, trade with the Flyers? Big PASS. They got nothing to trade.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Kreegz2 wrote:No (Frank) way. Shatty is almost as untradeable as Petro in my eyes. We downright robbed the Avalanche for him.
a 35 year old about to retire forward for one of the top scoring defenseman in the NHL???

What Kreegz said. No FRANKING WAY!!!!
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

Jaykay
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by Jaykay »

without knowing the contract-situation, but I'd also prefer simmonds. this guy is also a pain in the ass, is tougher than is weight-class (yeah i know he's big), and also scores goals.
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Paul Stastny

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I took a close look at the Flyers depth chart trying to see who I wouldn't be upset with them trading Shatty for, figuring there had to be someone good on that roster. There isn't. Trading him anywhere would be a sin. Shatty + Pie = Pronger + Chopper. These two they must build the team around, other pieces are interchangeable.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Now, I'm not saying this is an equal value trade or that either team would do this, but Shatty for Giroux straight up. Is that a deal you make?

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

glen a richter wrote:I took a close look at the Flyers depth chart trying to see who I wouldn't be upset with them trading Shatty for, figuring there had to be someone good on that roster. There isn't. Trading him anywhere would be a sin. Shatty + Pie = Pronger + Chopper. These two they must build the team around, other pieces are interchangeable.
Whoa whoa whoa, Glen. I'm all about hanging on to Shattenkirk, but Shatty + Pie DO NOT EQUAL Pronger + MacInnis. Let's keep our heads here.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

dmiles2186 wrote:Now, I'm not saying this is an equal value trade or that either team would do this, but Shatty for Giroux straight up. Is that a deal you make?
Why would anyone in their right mind trade Shattenkirk?? That makes no sense.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

gaijin wrote:
glen a richter wrote:I took a close look at the Flyers depth chart trying to see who I wouldn't be upset with them trading Shatty for, figuring there had to be someone good on that roster. There isn't. Trading him anywhere would be a sin. Shatty + Pie = Pronger + Chopper. These two they must build the team around, other pieces are interchangeable.
Whoa whoa whoa, Glen. I'm all about hanging on to Shattenkirk, but Shatty + Pie DO NOT EQUAL Pronger + MacInnis. Let's keep our heads here.
In terms of their collective importance to this team, and especially given both are young and still getting better, I'd say that they're the two most important players that need to desperately be locked up long term. That's not to slight others on the team. Berglund is really coming into his own this year and Frank I'm sure will develop into quite a great player. But the best offense is a good defense and with Pie and Shatty this has the makings of a great defense for a long time.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

theohall wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:Now, I'm not saying this is an equal value trade or that either team would do this, but Shatty for Giroux straight up. Is that a deal you make?
Why would anyone in their right mind trade Shattenkirk?? That makes no sense.
Gretzky was once traded. Twice even. Chris Pronger was once traded for Eric Brewer and some lint. You tell me. Anyone is fair game.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

I highly question there is any chance we pay both Shatty and Pie......however, that trade would be extremely one sided and Briere isn't waiving his no movement clause to come here.

It would not surprise me in the least to see Shatty moved at some point (I would hate it....it just wouldn't surprise me). Under this fiscal model...it's basically impossible for them to re-up both Pie and Duces. If they let Stewart and Andy Mack walk after the year and plan to replace Halak with Allen in two years.....You could squeeze them both in, but it would leave you very - very little wiggle room anywhere else on the roster.

Back to the Philly situation...they have to unload payroll (open cap space). If Briere would move, they should be happy with Russel and a prospect in exchange for space we'd create.

I actually thought Andy Mac could have been a target of theirs since there would be little drop off on the ice this year but cap savings with his contract expiring...but that knee injury just ruled that out. But year....I could have seen a Briere for Russel and Andy Mac deal working for both sides...(supposing they are comfortable with Fairchild being the #7 D-man)

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Idle thought: Maybe the player we're shopping around Philly is actually Jake Allen.

Consider that we just got another prospect netminder from the Preds and we had no qualms trading off Bishop. Allen has proven that he belongs in the NHL, can make the saves and in my opinion is head and shoulders above the Halak and Elliott tandem, so maybe we're seeing how much we can get from the Flyers for him since the Flyers have had a pretty recent history of revolving door goalies and goalie implosions and a solid and dependable player at goal would be something the Flyers could really use.

Just a thought.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!